Author Topic: Joan Bennett's First TV Series  (Read 977 times)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Joan Bennett's First TV Series
« on: January 10, 2003, 06:00:53 PM »
It was a sitcom called "Too Young to go Steady" and ran for about 4 months in 1959.  I was wondering if it could be in the public domain now and if it was, would it be possible to obtain tapes of it?  Does anyone know how to go about this?

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Joan Bennett's First TV Series
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2003, 09:31:09 PM »
Probably not in the public domain. I'm not up on my corporate copyrights, but for people it's the author's lifetime plus 75 years.

Are you sure it's the Joan Bennett in that? She doesn't mention it in her autobiography (of course, she doesn't mention a lot of things ;) )

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2003, 02:33:16 AM »
Probably not in the public domain. I'm not up on my corporate copyrights, but for people it's the author's lifetime plus 75 years.

This is not always the case with TV shows. Dragnet (50s), The Andy Griffith Show, The Beverly Hillbillies, The Lucy Show, and The Dick Van Dyke Show all have episodes in the public domain. However, local stations and cable networks air the versions from Paramount or whoever has the master prints. (at least I think it is from Paramount, Fox, and companies like it - not sure on that point) Independent, low power stations often air these versions. You can tell with 'Hillbillies' and 'Andy Grififth' because the theme music is replaced due to copyright issues.

VWR

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2003, 04:05:19 AM »
All I know is that there is an archive in L.A. that you can go and watch virtually any tv show, unless of course, the tapes are lost. I think it may have radio programs also.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2003, 04:12:53 AM »
All I know is that there is an archive in L.A. that you can go and watch virtually any tv show, unless of course, the tapes are lost. I think it may have radio programs also.

I think you are referring to the Museum of Television and Radio. There is one in Beverly Hills and one in New York City. They have a large archive of TV and radio programs that you can watch at the museum.

They have a website at www.mtr.org.

Bette
Life works if you let it