Author Topic: SCi-Fi out....again  (Read 1184 times)

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
SCi-Fi out....again
« on: January 10, 2003, 05:14:02 PM »
Every morning, the alarm wakes me up, so that I can watch DS.  This morning, I get up, turn on the t.v. and go to the kitchen to make myself a cup of tea.

I come back with my tea, and the t.v. is blank.  It says that it is on Sci-Fi and it also says the channel, but it is blank.

So I turn to other channels, and they're on, but not Sci-Fi.

Why does Sci-Fi do this to me?  Or is it the cable company?  Why, O Why?

[bnghd]
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline RingoCollins

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
Re: SCi-Fi out....again
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2003, 07:48:54 PM »
Happens to me, too, about once a month!

But as Dionne W. would say 'That's what Robservations are for'.

[at least her friends can tell her when its gonna happen!]
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2003, 09:04:59 PM »
I hate to say this.  Don't want to jinks myself, so far I have not had that problem.  It might be your cable company.  

I tend to tape DS even if I am home.  Doesn't everyone want eight thousand tapes in a closet in the rec room.  I don't feel totally quilty I can get ready for work or do house hold chores while it is on, and watch later in my down time.  Sometimes I can drink coffee and pat the dog while it is on too.  

Birdie--who in this lovely weather did a total spin around in the driveway this morning on her way to the dentist, and now has to bake a birthday cake.
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2003, 02:41:58 AM »
I hate to say this.  Don't want to jinks myself, so far I have not had that problem.  It might be your cable company.  

I tend to tape DS even if I am home.  Doesn't everyone want eight thousand tapes in a closet in the rec room.

It's never happened to me either. The closest thing to it that ever happened to me was when there was no audio for the first minute or two of the episode where Vicki comes back to the present from 1795.

I also tape DS. I plan on taping over the Sci Fi episodes once I get them on DVD - which starts with Collection 4. I have a taping disease or something - over the last two years, I've taped on 150 recordable tapes. I'm starting to run out of room!

VWR

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2003, 04:00:07 AM »
Do you have your other cable channels when this happens? If you do, then my guess is that there is something about your area and the SciFi feed, or satellite transmission. Then again, I have no clue really!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2003, 04:27:10 AM »
Every morning, the alarm wakes me up, so that I can watch DS.  This morning, I get up, turn on the t.v. and go to the kitchen to make myself a cup of tea.

I come back with my tea, and the t.v. is blank.  It says that it is on Sci-Fi and it also says the channel, but it is blank.

So I turn to other channels, and they're on, but not Sci-Fi.

Why does Sci-Fi do this to me?  Or is it the cable company?  Why, O Why?

[bnghd]

This has happened to me quite often since I got digital cable. It's not always the same channel. It happens across the board. I assume it is just the digital cable acting weird. It is very maddening though, especially if I have set my VCR timer to tape something and all I get is a blank tape. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sometimes if I go up a channel and then back to the original the picture comes in after a few seconds. Or turn the cable off and then on again.

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2003, 11:19:15 AM »

This has  happened to me quite often since I got digital cable. It's not always the same channel. It happens across the board. I assume it is just the digital cable acting weird. It is very maddening though, especially if I have set my VCR timer to tape something and all I get is a blank tape. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sometimes if I go up a channel and then back to the original the picture comes in after a few seconds. Or turn the cable off and then on again.
Bette

I've been saying "no" to digital cable all along, but now they are making changes in our system, and apparently it will be cheaper to get the digital than the equivalent of what I have now.  So, they're to install the digital on Tuesday.  After reading what you said here, I'm quite nervous about it.  Does anyone else have any good or bad experiences like this to give me an idea of whether or not I should go through with it?
Josette

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2003, 05:27:40 PM »
I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone who has digital cable. I have a cable box that allows me to get premium channels but recently I bought a new tv and dvd player and was told I would get the best quality picture with digital cable. The cost is slightly for digital where I live.
Here is somthing bizzare with my VCR. After I watch a movie and forget to turn my VCR off, there are a few stations (including sci-fi) that come in speaking spanish. Once I turn the VCR off it goes back to normal. Anyone have suggestions on this??
Teresa
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"