Author Topic: Whatever happened to Josette's Music Box  (Read 4149 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Whatever happened to Josette's Music Box
« on: January 09, 2003, 07:30:07 AM »
My question refers to the "prop" music box used on the show.  Does anyone know what happened to it?  At one of the last two fests, KLS talked about how nice it was, but she didn't say what happened to it after the show (and I don't remember anyone asking about that).

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
Re: Whatever happened to Josette's Music Box
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2003, 02:58:53 AM »
I'd be interested to know that too. Unless it was given to (or taken by) one of the actors on the show, I'd have to guess that it wound up back in the props department at the ABC studios in New York along with the other props, costumes, sets, etc. after the series went off the air. Various set pieces and furnishings were eventually recycled for use on other shows - I know that part of the mausoleum set turned up on All My Children years later, which films in the same studio where DS was taped.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2003, 08:24:43 AM »
Wow someone must have it!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2003, 07:54:22 AM »
This information may have been posted here, but the mini-replica is being offered for sale for $150 from the Dark Shadows Festival.

I could kick myself for not buying one back when it was "only" $40 ... I was advised against it at the time by two posters ...

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2003, 06:58:06 AM »
I was sorting through some stacks of papers the other day, and I coincidentally discovered a printout of a post made to the VantageNet board on 3/6/00 by Sheila March regarding the original Josette's music box. Apparently this question had come up at the DS festival in 1999, and it was stated that many costumes and props from DS were donated to Fordham University, so that is a likely place where the original music box might have ended up. (I wouldn't be surprised, though, if it ultimately ended up in someone's personal possession after that!) According to Sheila's post, KLS remembered the music box as a lovely item, while Stuart Goodman recalled it as a tacky thing held together with tape.

Financial considerations, sadly, preclude my attending the festival in NYC this year, so upon a little deliberation I decided to console myself and purchased one of the few remaining Josette's Music Box replicas now in the hands of the Dark Shadows festival.

I just knew that if I didn't buy one now, I'd be unhappy the rest of my life -- and would probably return from the afterlife in search of one ...  I had seen one of the replicas at the festival in Anaheim, so I knew pretty much what it looked like, the size, etc.  I know some posters a couple of years ago complained that it was tiny, plastic and chintzy.

Well, I must say that I was delighted when I received my mint-condition music box within a week of ordering it from the festival.

The music box actually looks quite attractive on one of my bookshelves.  The plastic base with the filagree looks the best; but the plastic lid, though it reproduces the design of the original cover exactly, so far as I can tell, does have more of that "plastic" look.  However, we could hardly expect that a collectible item for a TV show would actually be glass and copper (as I take it the original box is supposed to be).

The size seems to be perhaps 2/3 scale, based on visual comparisons with the music box in "House of DS" (the quickest way I was able to do a comparison).  Does anyone know if the music box in HODS was the same one used on the show?

A close comparison between the music box in the movie and the MPI replica shows that the original is much bigger around and slightly taller and the filagree pattern does not go up as high on the glass as it does on the plastic model.

The music piece in the replica plays "Josette's Theme" with a clear, ringing quality ... It seems to play perhaps a dozen bars, and I can't recall for certain if that is the extent of the original song or not.

Does anyone know if the 1996 MPI music box (which is the one I purchased) is identical to the one offered in conjunction with DS back in 1970?  Were the materials used, the size, shape, pattern, design, decorative features, color, and tone of music exactly the same?

Who produced/distributed the 1970 version of the music box?

One other difference between the replica and the one on the show is that the top lifts off the replica completely (rather than tilting back), and the melody doesn't play when you lift it off -- you have to wind the bottom!

To be continued ...

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2003, 07:39:20 AM »
I was able to revise my original post, so this won't have to be continued after all.  I had also planned to launch into a commentary about other memorabilia reminiscent of DS, but I just noticed Birdie's thread on "DS in everyday life," which will be perfect ...

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2003, 05:55:58 AM »
A couple of my questions have been answered. I have been told in a personal communication from a DS Festival representative that no one knows what happened to the original prop music box*, and also that there is no information whatever on who produced or marketed the 1970 music box replicas.

*(Except, I might venture to guess, whomever actually has the music box ... I think someone has it and knows what it is!) - Vlad

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2003, 02:16:35 PM »
I did hear a while ago that Michael Stroka swiped the prop music box as a gift for his then girlfriend -- how much truth there is in that is anyone's guess, though.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2003, 04:45:30 PM »
...and also that there is no information whatever on who produced or marketed the 1970 music box replicas.

Perhaps someone who possesses the 16 Magazines of the era may be able to find an ad for the sale of the music box which inturn may state the info you are looking for?

Never say die!
Dom

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2003, 08:11:30 PM »

Perhaps someone who possesses the 16 Magazines of the era may be able to find an ad for the sale of the music box which inturn may state the info you are looking for?

Never say die!
Dom

I seem to remember the ad being posted in the multimedia area [i think] of the archives here - so when everything gets going again  and those areas are reopened I'll bet it comes back, too!

I did a quick glance thru a few years of 'teen mags' in the closet, and didn't happen upon it, or I would post it myself.  And note of detail, '16' did not have any ads for any product other than '16' produced products [like their 'address of the stars' book, or 'official '16' 40 wallet photos'] - in fact most of the 'major' teen mags like Tiger Beat, Flip, TeenSet did not have the ads we all remember.  You had to go to the 'B' list like 'Teen World' 'Teen Top Ten' 'Teen Car Mats Of The Month' to get to the cheezy ads [but believe me, the X-ray glasses did NOT work!]

cheers,
Ringo

[who has a whole new respect for the MB, M'nite, Dom and the behind the scenes efforts!!!]
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2003, 08:36:24 PM »
I seem to remember the ad being posted in the multimedia area [i think] of the archives here - so when everything gets going again  and those areas are reopened I'll bet it comes back, too!

This is the first chance I've had to look for it.  I found this one of the box (called musicbox.jpg, duh!), but haven't figured out yet which image file is the ad.

[who has a whole new respect for the MB, M'nite, Dom and the behind the scenes efforts!!!]

Flattery will get you everywhere.  [wink2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2003, 08:47:40 PM »
Ack, it was right in front of my face...

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2003, 08:53:07 PM »
LOVE BALLS?!!!  THIGH BELTS?!!

Midnite.....what sort of collection have you got there?

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2003, 08:56:53 PM »
LOVE BALLS?!!!  THIGH BELTS?!!

Midnite.....what sort of collection have you got there?

Isn't that hysterical?!

I think the ad is from MB's collection. [lghy]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2003, 10:03:20 PM »
I think the ad is from MB's collection. [lghy]

:-X

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas