Author Topic: Muffled Sound  (Read 3013 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Muffled Sound
« on: January 09, 2003, 07:27:11 AM »
I don't know if anyone else has brought this up, but why is the sound so muffled on the show?  I don't remember it being quite this bad last time SciFi ran the series.  Or is it my tapes or recording that's the problem?

Related to this, does anyone else think Diana Millay mumbles?  I don't usually have too much difficulty understanding anyone else on the show, but she doesn't seem to enunciate and also has odd emphases and ups and downs in her delivery.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Muffled Sound
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2003, 09:26:43 PM »
I had to turn up the volume to hear Wednesday's eps. They were muffled. Maybe a technical problem on sci-fi's end?  Diana Millay's acting is not very good in the 1897 storyline.  I  enjoyed her performance in the 1967 phoenix storyline, however.
MM

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2003, 09:48:05 PM »
i would love to see Laura muzzled Go Angelique!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2003, 02:47:18 AM »
Yes, the sound quality has been very poor on the past couple of episodes. I've never had any trouble understanding/hearing Diana Millay with the exception of these episodes. Maybe the soundtrack on the master tape was damaged. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has these eps on DVD whether the sound is as bad.

Offline Afan

• Full Poster
  • Another body from Collinwood for me to autopsy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2003, 03:56:32 AM »
[bnghd][bnghd]I often have to run sections with Laura over on my tapes to understand.  Sometimes, not often, I wish I had closed captions!
Afan
Where are they getting these bodies, Mulder,  are they making them?

Afan

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2003, 11:34:19 AM »
Yes, I've noticed since the show came back on recently that the sound from Sci-Fi has been a bit muffled,  but when I popped in my MPI tape it was fine.

As for Laura, I think it's just the way she talks. She kind of mumbles alot and talks low.  Maybe she should take some lessons from Magda!  She may talk like a gyspeeee but at least she's loud & clear!!  (I was beginning to think I needed a hearing aid) glad it's not just me. ;-)

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2003, 07:17:19 PM »
I don't know if anyone else has brought this up, but why is the sound so muffled on the show?  Related to this, does anyone else think Diana Millay mumbles?  I

Glad to know that my hearing isn't going!  It does sound as if the tape audio quality has been damaged somehow.  

And I was beginning to worry about ear wax! :)
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2003, 09:31:49 PM »

Related to this, does anyone else think Diana Millay mumbles?  I don't usually have too much difficulty understanding anyone else on the show, but she doesn't seem to enunciate and also has odd emphases and ups and downs in her delivery.

Yes, I notice it all the time. In fact, at this past October's Halloween party, I sat down next to her to talk about her trip to Romania and not only does she mumble but she speaks very quickly. I found myself just nodding alot. It must just be her natural way of speaking.
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2003, 05:52:22 AM »
Most definitely the sound is more muffled than in previous runs. I thought it was me, but since this is the only taping I'm having trouble hearing, must be the channel. Maybe they (SCiFi) are unaware there's a problem.
                                     Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2003, 01:47:08 AM »
The reason the sound is so muffled on these 1897 episodes has nothing to do with Sci FI Channel.  Worldvision Enterprises has purposely muffled the sound on this group of episodes for a reason.  These 1897 episodes from May 1969 contain a flaw in the audio that was accidently recorded on them originally back in 1969.  The DS studio technicians did not notice, or correct this flaw for almost an entire  month of shows!  The flaw is a high pitched "whine" that runs throughout the entire episode.  When these 1897 episodes first went into syndication in 1985, Worldvision noticed the "whine" on the audio track, and fine tuned these episodes when making copies for syndication.  Unfortunately, they messed up the audio way too much, so that these episodes are very hard to hear, and even understand.  This was done to meet television broadcast standards.  

For the MPI tape releases of these episodes, MPI used the original master tapes, so you can actually hear the original audio and the high pitched "whine" on these particular ghroup of episodes.  No doubt the upcoming DVD releases will contain the original audio as well.

Fortunately, the DS studio technicians corrected the audio problem around June or July 1969, and there were no longer any problems.  The audio on sci fi channel tapes will get better in the next few weeks.

Connie

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2003, 04:44:04 AM »
Thanks for the interesting information!

Addendum:
You'll notice that when the character of Hallie Stokes appears later in the series, the mysterious "whining" sound returns.

;D

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2003, 05:12:43 AM »
Thanks for the interesting information!

Yes, many thanks, doombuggy!

Addendum:
You'll notice that when the character of Hallie Stokes appears later in the series, the mysterious "whining" sound returns.

;D

Snort!

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2003, 05:26:47 AM »
Your right Connie, I had forgotten that the "whine" on the audio had returned in the summer of 1970. It is most noticeable on the episode where the zombies attack Collinwood in mid September.  Fortunately, Worldvision had stopped trying to correct the problem at that point and just let it go.  

There is also episode # 1008 from PT 1970 that features a terrible crackling noise throughout. I can't believe ABC allowed that episode for airing!

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2003, 06:01:37 AM »
Your right Connie, I had forgotten that the "whine" on the audio had returned in the summer of 1970. It is most noticeable on the episode where the zombies attack Collinwood in mid September.  Fortunately, Worldvision had stopped trying to correct the problem at that point and just let it go.  

Oh, I've noticed that with episodes from that period. I bought some episodes from MPI (Volume 174) and while #1107 had normal audio, the one with the destruction of Collinwood (#1108) had a loud whining sound. It got so irritating that I had to change it from Mono (which I usually watch DS with) to Hi Fi.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2003, 07:48:55 AM »

not only does she mumble but she speaks very quickly. I found myself just nodding alot. It must just be her natural way of speaking.

And here I thought it was all part of her Method acting ...

BTW, are you the former Teresa (whom I know) with a slightly different name?  Has anyone else on board changed their name?

Wow, doombuggy69 -- how do you know all this?  Thanks for the explanation!
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995