Author Topic: #0061/0062: Robservations 06/29/01:An Unwelcome Guest  (Read 1315 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0061/0062: Robservations 06/29/01:An Unwelcome Guest
« on: June 28, 2001, 07:52:05 PM »
Episode #61 - The great house on Widows' Hill stands as a dread reminder of a past that will not die--it casts its shadows far into the night, reaching out to another house, a cottage, into which the past has suddenly and unexpectedly intruded.

What do you want here? Sam asks Burke, we were just about to sit down and have dinner. That's just what your daughter said, says Sam, and I asked if you had room for one more--do you? he asks Maggie. Well, she says, unsure, looking at Sam. The answer is no? asks Burke. I'd love to have you stay, says Maggie, but this is kind of s special occasion--it's Vicki's first time in our house, and I just hadn't planned...you know what I mean. You mean I'm not welcome, is that it? asks Burke. Sam says he can't just walk into somebody's house and invite yourself to dinner. Times sure have changed since the good old days, says Burke--would you believe it, Vicki, there was a time I could walk in here anytime and they'd practically force me to sit down at the dinner table--Maggie, you remember the time, when Sam sent you to look for me because I hadn't been around for a week? It isn't that you're not welcome, says Maggie. Did you ever think, asks Sam, that Maggie might not have prepared enough food for four people? I'd be happy with a sandwich, as long as I could be with friends, says Burke--unless you don't want me here, Vicki. I have no objection, she says. What do you say? Burke asks Maggie--a sandwich for a lonely man?--don't look at your father--you tell me. For Pete's sake, of course you can stay for dinner! Says Maggie, too heartily, and says she'll go see how dinner is doing. Burke asks Sam for a drink. Sure, agrees Sam, and goes to get one. Burke looks smug.

Would you believe it? Burke asks Vicki, I completely forgot you were going to be here tonight. Would it have made any difference if you'd remembered? She asks. No, nothing would make any difference tonight, says Burke. Sam asks Vicki what she would like, and she says nothing, thank you--what's so special about tonight? she asks Burke. Burke takes his drink from Sam and says this night might be the first step toward judgment day--shall we drink to that, Sam? I would if I knew what you were talking about, says Sam. I'll explain it, Burke assures him, while Vicki goes and helps Maggie with my sandwich--you don't mind, do you? Nope, says Vicki. Maggie comes in and says they can eat anytime--hey, what is this?--I don't like it when everybody stops talking when I enter a room--makes me wonder what they were talking about. Bill Malloy's death, says Burke, that's what we were talking about. Oh, says Maggie--look, I have a nice dinner cooked--why don't we just sit down and talk about something else. Why don't we talk about my manslaughter trial? Asks Burke. Burke, PLEASE! shouts Sam. Why not, says Burke, I don't mind, it was 10 years ago--Vicki, did you know that I was once tried for manslaughter. Yes, she says, we were just talking about it tonight. Oh, you were? he asks, isn't that a coincidence--so you were talking about my manslaughter trial, Burke says to Sam. I'd heard about it, says Vicki, I asked Mr. Evans what had happened. I see--and what did happen? Burke asks Sam. This is nonsense! says Sam. Burke laughs bitterly--did he tell you that we were at a tavern--Roger, his girlfriend, who later became his wife, and myself. Yes, says Vicki. What else did he tell you? asks Burke. I don't see any point in this, says Vicki. Did he tell you we were all drunk, all three of us? demands Burke--and that we filed into my car with me behind the wheel? Yes, she says. Go on, he says, I'm really curious. He said that you were very drunk, and when driving back to town, you hit a man. The car hit a man, corrects Burke. Yes, says Vicki, and you kept on driving and the man was killed. And the police traced the car to me, says Burke, and I was put on trial, and Roger and his intended bride testified that I was driving the car--isn't that how it happened, Sam? Yes, agrees Sam, that's how it happened. That's what Roger Collins said happened, says Burke. And the jury agreed! says Sam. Yes, says Burke--Vicki, did he bother to tell you my side of the story? No, says Vicki. Well then as long as we're bringing Vicki up to date, why don't we tell her the part the jury didn't believe.

It's a funny thing, Vicki, says Burke, how everything becomes a symbol in your life--when I was sitting in the witness stand, looking out at the courtroom, I was looking directly at Roger Collins and his intended bride--he married her just a week after I was convicted--I was looking out at them, but didn't see them at all--all I saw was Collinwood, and the people who lived in it--the family who founded this town, who owned the cannery and fishing fleet, that put money into the pockets of more than half the people who live in this town--suddenly I felt like an ant trying to crush an elephant--you know that feeling, Sam? Sam turns away and goes to pour more booze. I saw Roger Collins, says Burke, voice rising, a respected member of that respected family, lying about me on the witness stand, and I knew right then who he'd believe. Are you sure he lied? asks Maggie. I wasn't driving that car at the time of the accident, says Burke--I was driving when we left the tavern, and I was pretty drunk, Roger made me pull over, and from then on, he drove the car. You mean he was driving when the man was killed? asks Vicki. Burke nods and says, I was drunk--and I don't remember too much about that night--but I do remember Roger Collins taking over the wheel! Before the accident? asks Maggie. I thought so then and I still do, says Burke--only what I thought doesn't seem to matter, he adds to Sam. But you're not sure--you don't really know, points out Vicki. To her, Burke says I didn't kill that man, but couldn't prove it, so I went to prison for five years
--five years, Sam, that's a long time. Sam pours more booze for himself. You start to think, says Burke, begin to wonder who you love and who you hate, and who your friends and enemies are. This is just about empty, Sam says of the bottle, I'll go get another one from the kitchen. He leaves. Burke watches after him--that's my story, he tells Vicki. It's just so hard to believe Mr. Collins would lie, says Vicki. Why not? asks Burke--it was his neck or mine. You could be wrong, says Maggie--you say you don't really remember. Yes, agrees Burke, I could be wrong--but I'm not. He smiles. Well, he says, I hope I haven't ruined your dinner party with all this ancient history. I'll see about getting dinner on the table, says Maggie, somewhat resentfully. And would you tell Sam to come out for a minute? Asks Burke--I miss his company. Maggie goes into the kitchen. Do you believe my story? asks Burke of Vicki. I don't know what I believe, she says. That's a beginning, anyway, says Burke. Maggie rejoins them and says he Pop isn't in the kitchen, and must have gone out the back way--what is it, Burke, I've got to know what's happening? He's running, says Burke. From what? demands Maggie. Himself, says Burke--from Sam Evans!

The hotel clerk files mail into slots at the Inn. Sam enters and greets Mr. Wells, who asks what brings him here. A minor errand, says Sam--my daughter wanted me to pick up something she left in the hotel safe. What did she do, leave her paycheck with the day clerk? Asks Wells. I wish she did, jokes Sam, I'd go out and buy myself a brand new convertible car. They laugh. It's nothing important, says Sam, just a letter--get it for me, please. Sure thing, says Wells, bringing up Bill Malloy's drowning and what terrible news it was--I can't understand how a man like that could just plain fall in the water--he'd been around boats all his life. It can happen, says Sam. Here she comes, says Wells, now let's see. It was an envelope about this big, with Maggie's name on it, says Sam. I remember it, says Wells, she asked me to put it in here a couple of days ago. Here she is, says Wells, but when Sam reaches for it, the clerk says not so fast--he has to call Maggie first--is she home?
What do you mean? asks Sam. House rules, says Wells, nobody can get anything out of that safe 'cept the person that put it in there. That's my letter, I wrote it, says Sam. Maybe you did, but you wrote it to Maggie, and that makes it hers, insists Wells--ask the mailman if you don't believe me. The devil with the mailman! says Sam, I want that letter. And you can have it, as soon as I talk to Maggie, says the clerk--is she home? Sam's brow furrows. No, he says, and I don't know where she is. I'm afraid you'll just have to wait, says Wells. Please, begs Sam, it's important! It must be, agrees Wells, kneeling to return the letter to the safe--she told me very clearly not to give this to anyone. I need that letter! cries Sam. And I need this job, counters Wells, I'd lost it if I broke the house rules--sorry. Sam stands there, licking his lips, really upset.

Cottage - You're sure he's not there? Maggie asks on the phone--if he comes in, will you call me?--thanks. She hangs up. He didn't go to the Blue Whale, says Maggie miserably--Burke, why would he run? Because he's afraid of me, says Burke, I think you've known that for a long time--he's running but won't get far--Vicki...no. What? she asks. I was going to say I'm sorry you're here, says Burke, but I think it's better you know what you're living with. My father was always your friend! says Maggie accusingly. I don't care what he was! shouts Burke--I'm interested in what he is!--you asked me why I came here today--because of Malloy, because of his death, because I think your father had something to do with it! Bill Malloy drowned, says Vicki--what possible connection could there be with Mr. Evans? Yes, he drowned, but why? demands Burke--did he fall into the water or did somebody push him? My Pop had nothing to do with it! says Maggie vehemently--nothing. He ran, says Burke, because he knew I was going to talk to him about Malloy. I don't believe it, insists Maggie--my pop and Bill were good friends. Did Malloy ever talk to you about your father? asks Burke. Why do you want to know? asks Maggie. Did he? asks Burke again. Sure, lots of times, admits Maggie. I mean shortly before he died, says Burke--did he talk to you about your father--and me--and Collins--and my manslaughter trial? No! says Maggie. I don't believe you, says Burke. Leave her alone, orders Vicki. Why, because you think I'm being ungentlemanly? Asks Burke I think you're being a bully, says Vicki. Look, a man tried to help me! says Burke--he was a good man!--and he tried to help me--and he was killed. Are you sure about that or just guessing? Asks Vicki. Yes I'm sure, says Burke--Vicki, the night Malloy died, were you up at Collinwood? Yes, she says. Did you see Roger? asks Burke. Yes, and I saw Mr. Malloy, too, says Vicki. He came to Collinwood? asks Burke, surprised. Yes, says Vicki, he came to see Mr. Collins. A man is dead, says Burke, a man who never harmed a living soul--so if there is anything you can tell me, anything at all... All I know is that Mr. Malloy came to the house at 10, says Vicki, he was very angry and so was Mr. Collins--he said something about you and a meeting. Did you hear what the meeting was about? asks Burke. No, she says, but Mr. Collins was very upset. I'll bet he was, says Burke viciously--did you hear anything else? No, she says, they went into the drawing room and shut the door. Did your father ever talk to you about a meeting? Burke asks Maggie. No, she says. Did he ever talk to you about me and Roger Collins? demands Burke. Looking as if she's going to cry, Maggie says she wishes he'd leave. The night Malloy died, says Burke, he set up a meeting in Roger's office--invited 3 people--me, Collins and your father--he said he could clear me of that manslaughter charge--and your father never mentioned it to you? No, gulps Maggie. Well it's true, says Burke--at eleven, and we were all there--me, Collins and Evans--the only person who didn't show up was Malloy--he couldn't, because he was lying face down in the water somewhere. then that's why he went to Collinwood, says Vicki. Yes, says Burke, to invite the star performer, the man who had me convicted for a crime he committed. Then why would he ask Mr. Evans? says Vicki. Burke says he has a hunch Maggie would know that.
I don't, says Maggie--what could my father possibly know about your trial? He must have known something, says Burke, or Malloy wouldn't have invited him to the meeting. I don't believe it, says Maggie. It's true, says Burke, I don't know how or why, but it's true. I don't believe it, repeats Maggie--if Pop knew you were innocent, he'd have walked into the courtroom and said so!--you know my father--what kind of man he is! OK, says Burke, we'll wait and see what kind of man Sam is. He picks up his coat and leaves, first giving both ladies a look.

I guess that's the end of our dinner party, Maggie tells Vicki--I'll go turn off the stove. I'm sorry, says Vicki. Don't be sorry for me, says Maggie, gesturing angrily at the door--be sorry for that psychopathic liar...it can't be true, none of it. I'm sure it isn't, Vicki assures her. Those are just words, says Maggie, dejected, but thank you for them--but words won't help my father if Burke spreads that story around town--you never really knew my father, but he was the sweetest, kindest man--he'd never hurt anybody! I don't see how Burke could possibly think your father had anything to do with it, says Vicki. He couldn't, that's what gets me, says Maggie--you heard the story--there were 3 people in that car--Burke, Roger Collins and Collins' wife--my father was no where around--it's just that...ever since Burke came back to town, Pop has been worried--and it does have something to do with Roger Collins--it can't be about Burke's accident, my father wasn't even near it! Maybe Mr. Malloy was mistaken, suggests Vicki. What kind of a mistake? asks Maggie. If Burke was telling the truth, says Vicki, Mr. Malloy called that meeting to clear up the charges--perhaps he had somehow gotten the idea that your father was involved and he just jumped to a wrong conclusion. That's it! says Maggie, of course that's what's happening--you're a genius, why didn't I think of that myself--let's face it, Burke and Pop were always good friends--in those years--you heard how he talked tonight--he'd drop in here for dinner two or three nights a week, when he didn't show up for a while, Pop would ask me to call him to find out if he was sick--Pop would never...she sobs...never do a thing...she looks down.
I'm sure there's an answer, says Vicki. What is it? asks Maggie--tell me, why did my dad run tonight?

Burke enters the Inn and asks Mr. Wells if there are any messages for him. The clerk says no, not a one--you expecting something. The way things are going around here, says Burke, wiping his face with his hands, I don't know what to expect--could I have my key, please? I was just telling someone tonight how hard it is to believe Bill Malloy could just plain fall in the water, says Wells, a fellow who'd been around the water all his life--you know what I mean? Yes, I know, says Burke, taking his key. Of course, like Sam Evans says, it can happen, adds Wells. This stops Burke, about to head upstairs. Was Sam Evans here tonight? asks Burke.
Yeah, says Wells, he was very fond of Bill you know. What time was he here? asks Burke. Wells checks the clock and his watch--about an hour ago, he says--he tried to pull a fast one on me, too--his daughter, Maggie, left a letter here in the safe--he tried to talk me into giving it to him--real anxious to get it, too--probably full of some incriminating evidence. Did he get the letter? asks Burke. House rules, says Wells, full of self-importance, them that puts in, gets out--nobody else--I told him he'd have to get an OK from Maggie. If he comes by again, or if you hear from him, let me know, will you? asks Burke. Sure, says Wells. Sam greets Burke, explaining that he's been sitting in the restaurant, waiting for him. Oh? asks Burke. You said you wanted to have a private talk, says Sam, smoking, so let's go upstairs and have it. OK, says Burke, and follows Sam upstairs.

NOTES: Is Sam ready to spill all, or will he just keep going around and around, denying as always? Should be an interesting conversation.

I know how anxious Burke is to not just figure out who did away with Malloy, but that he was innocent of the manslaughter charge--but barging in on Maggie's dinner party was boorish and wrong. I guess he figured he could get more out of Sam this way, but Sam chose to disappear instead--and I didn't blame him. Something is going to get Sam if he doesn't 'fess up soon--his own overpowering guilt, drink, or whatever.

The desk clerk might have been following the rules regarding not giving letters to the wrong people, but he surely did something unethical when he told Burke about the incident. Now Burke knows Sam IS hiding something big.

Maggie is eagerly grabbing at Vicki's suggestion that a mistake has been made by Bill Malloy, but she is too bright a young woman not to realize that her father's odd behavior started when Burke's trial ended. Sam needed money for his sick wife, Roger provided it--and Sam lied, assuring that Burke went to prison. Knowing how fond Sam was of Burke, that must have hurt the artist terribly--sending him off an the road to alcoholism to drown his guilt.

I loved the way Vicki defended Maggie against Burke. The girl's spunky, and I like her!

Episode #62 - There is darkness at Collinwood, darkness that the glow from its windows cannot dispel--darkness that fills a man's heart with fear, fear that has spread its icy fingers far into the night, reaching into other hearts.

Burke's room at the Inn - You're a strange man, Sam, says Burke--I don't think I'll ever understand you. You're not alone, says Sam, I haven't exactly been an expert at understanding myself lately. Why did you run? Asks Burke, closing the door. Can I have a drink? asks Sam. No, says Burke, I know what's on your mind, but a drink would make it a lot easier for me, says Sam. Making it easier for you isn't what I had in mind, says Burke--why did you run? Why does it matter? asks Sam--I'm here, isn't that the important thing? It all depends on what you have to say, warns Burke.

You said you came here to talk, says Burke, sitting on the couch--go again, I'm waiting. It goes on and on, says Sam, sun rises, sunsets, people born, and die--it doesn't mean a thing--add up to anything very important. Depends on who died, wouldn't you say? asks Burke. You had no right forcing your way into my house tonight, says Sam. Why, because I upset a dinner party? Asks Burke. Maggie had a guest over tonight, says Sam, Vicki Winters came to our house for dinner tonight and you did your best to destroy it! I didn't run out on them--I didn't do that! says Burke--why did you do it? I had to, says Sam, sitting beside him. I'll bet you did! says Burke angrily. I'm not trying to hide anything from you, says Sam, nothing. Why did you run? Asks Burke again. I panicked, says Sam--I knew you were looking for an argument and didn't want to have it in front of Maggie, so I ran--that's a strange feeling, to run--In never did it before--you get the feeling that everything is closing in on you and you can't breathe! I've had the feeling, for five years in prison, says Burke. So I ran, says Sam, then I stopped and started thing about myself and Maggie--you know, Burke, I said what am I doing, I can't go on running in and out of back doors for the rest of my life--so I came here and sat down in the restaurant an waited--I want to get this thing all over and settled. Are you serious about this? asks Burke. Why would I be? asks Sam. I'll get you a drink, says Burke and gives him a look before going into the kitchen.

Vicki returns to Collinwood and starts heading upstairs. Roger exits the drawing room and calls to her, asking if she's back from he visit to the Evans'. Yes, she says. I trust you had a pleasant evening, says Roger. Not exactly, says Vicki. That's too bad, says Roger, joining her on the steps, remember, I warned you, Mr. Evans sometimes has a habit of drinking too much. It had nothing to do with that, says Vicki, he hardly drank at all--I'd rather not discuss it. She starts resuming her trek upstairs, but Roger grabs her wrist and stops her. You can't go now, he says, it's unfair to arouse a person's curiosity and then simply walk away. It's been a very trying evening, says Vicki. In what way? asks Roger--what did happen at the Evans house? I don't want to talk about it! she says, annoyed, and Roger again takes hold of her arm, stopping her from going up. Oh, but I do, he insists, please? He leads her downstairs. She looks resigned.

Why don't you sit down, invites Roger, it's been quite a while since we've had a friendly chat, and I think it's long overdue. I'm a bit tired, says Vicki. Oh, yes, you did say you had a trying evening, says Roger--that's too bad, you were looking forward to this dinner invitation--did Mr. Evans say anything that upset you? I told you, I didn't want to talk about it! says Vicki. (This guy doesn't take a hint.) How did you spend your evening? asks Roger
--did you look at his paintings--he's a talented artists, isn't he? Yes, agrees Vicki, very. And his daughter, she's very charming, says Roger--a bit caustic sometimes, but nice. Yes, agrees Vicki. I've always thought of Evans as quite a witty conversationalist, says Roger--did you find him so? I really didn't notice, replies Vicki. In any event, he's certainly a good deal more articulate that YOU'RE being this evening, says Roger. What is it? demands Vicki--are you trying to find out whether or not we discussed Burke's manslaughter trial? That came up in conversation, did it? asks Roger. In great detail, says Vicki. I can't say I'm surprised, he says, people have been talking about it again since Burke came into town, just what was said? When you advised me not to go to Mr. Evans' house, was it because you were afraid I might find out something about that trial? She asks. Of course not, says Roger--I knew he drank a great deal and I was afraid your visit might be embarrassing for you. It was, but not for that reason, says Vicki. You said Devlin's trial came up in detail, says Roger--who furnished these details, Mr. Evans? Yes, says Vicki. Just what did he tell you? asks Roger. I don't want to talk about it, says Vicki (for the fifth time?)--He said that you... Did he mention any facts that came out in court? Asks Roger. Yes, she says. What were they? he asks. He said you and your wife and Mr. Devlin were in a tavern drinking and that you all left in Burke's car, with Burke behind the wheel, very drunk. And what happened next? asks Roger--did Mr. Evans say anything happened after that? That the car hit someone and kept on going, and a man was killed says Vicki--the man was traced to Burke Devlin, and he was arrested, and convicted for manslaughter. And that was all? asks Roger. No, he said you and your wife testified against Burke at the trial, she says, and that's all. And you were upset because I testified against my friend? asks Roger--believe me, it wasn't a very happy thing to do at the time, in fact, my friendship with Burke almost got me into trouble with the law--when he hit that man that night, I pleaded with him to stop, but he was too drunk to listen--I should have gone directly to the police and reported it, but for Burke's friendship, I simply did nothing. Except testify against him in the trial, says Vicki. At that time, I had to, says Roger, it came out that I was in his car--it was an unhappy affair for everybody. I'm sure it was, says Vicki. I'm just sorry you heard about it from Evans, says Roger. It wasn't he who upset me, Burke Devlin was there, too. Roger, about to pour a drink, stops. At Evans' house? asks Roger. Yes, and he had a completely different story to tell about the accident, says Vicki. Roger pours his drink.

Inn - Burke has given Sam his drink. You bet I do--I wasn't driving that car at the time, says Burke, Collins knows it, because he took the wheel when he thought me too drunk to drive, and for some reason I don't know yet, you know it, too. I can't stop you from thinking that, says Sam--that's not why I came here. I thought you wanted to get it all out in the open, says Burke, all over with. So I do, says Sam--all this past history, this dredging up of things that happened 10 years ago--it can't help you now--you served your time. Is that all you came here to say? asks Burke. No, says Sam, it's all this talk, all these ridiculous stories about my knowing something that might have kept you from being convicted--he stands before Burke--do you see what harm it can do? If you came here to talk me out of saving your neck, says Burke, the answer is no
--it's too late for that! It isn't me I'm talking about, says Sam, it's Maggie--why should she have to know all this nonsense? It's too late to worry about that, too, says Burke--she already knows. You're wrong, says Sam--I haven't said a word. But I did! says Burke, you could have walked into that trial and cleared me--you know it and I know it! You said that to Maggie? asks Sam anxiously. Yes, and to Vicki Winters, says Burke--when you ran out on me tonight, I told them exactly why you were running. But you had no right to say such things! shouts Sam--you had no right to spread your filthy stories! Stories or facts? Demands Burke. Maggie didn't have to know, says Sam, near hysteria, she had no reason to know--what are you trying to do, Burke?--to destroy me and my own daughter? You knew Collins was driving that car, didn't you? asks Burke. All I know, says Sam, is what everybody else knows, I've told you that before. That's not what Malloy thought, says Burke. Then Malloy was wrong, insists Sam--why did you say those things to Maggie? Why?--are you afraid of the questions she'll ask you? queries Burke. I'm not afraid of any questions, says Sam. All right, says Burke, then how about answering this question--it's what I came to your house to ask you tonight--did you kill Bill Malloy?

Burke repeats his question. You say that's what you came to my house to ask me, says Sam. Yes, says Burke. That's what I came here to answer you--I know you think I might have murdered Bill--well, I didn't--that's why I decided to come up here and make that perfectly clear. Like you didn't know anything about my manslaughter charge, says Burke. That has nothing to do with it, says Sam. It has everything to do with it! says Burke--if Malloy hadn't died that night, you wouldn't be here--you'd be in a cell, charged with withholding evidence. You don't know that he was murdered, points out Sam--he drowned. Yes, says Burke, he drowned, conveniently, just 15 minutes before he was to be at Roger's office. I didn't kill him, says Sam. You walked to the office that night from your house, didn't you? asks Burke. Yes, I went all through that with the sheriff, says Sam. I thought you wanted to convince me, not the sheriff, says Burke. Yes, says Sam, I walked from my house, left about 10:30. Why so early? Asks Burke, the meeting wasn't until 11--you could take 15 minutes easy to walk from your house to the office. I walked slowly, says Sam, I wanted to think. What about--the lies you were going to tell when you got there? demands Burke. No, says Sam. You know why Malloy called that meeting, says Burke. No I didn't, says Sam. You were scared, says Burke, you knew the only way Malloy could make sure that Collins was driving that car was by incriminating you. That's not true! insists Sam. So you made a phone call from your house that night, says Burke--his housekeeper said he got a call at 10:30--you made that call, didn't you? No I didn't, says Sam. Yes, you called Malloy! says Burke--asked him not to go through with it, and when he said no, you did the only other thing you could do--kill him. I did not call him, or kill him, says Sam. Malloy's watch was broken at 10:45, says Burke, and he was at Lookout Point at that time, and that's when you hit him in the back of the head and threw him in the water!--and then you got to the office at 11--just on time, with all your problems safely out of the way. You're wrong, says Sam, you're so wrong--the last time I saw Malloy was when he told me to come to Collins' office, I did not call him, or kill him--he grabs Burke's lapels and says, hysterically, "I didn't do it!" Burke breaks him free of his jacket and says, it was either him or you! Sam wanders toward the door, hand on knob--no matter what you think of me, he says, you know me well enough to know I could never do a thing like that--no one has the right to deprive a man of his life--you said it was either him or me--well, if that was true, believe me, it would have been me--I would have taken my own life, rather than his--it's all I've got to say--I didn't kill Malloy.

Collinwood drawing room - Then you think it was me, Roger tells Vicki--you think I was driving the car at the time? I didn't say that, says Vicki--it was just disturbing, that's all. A jury heard that same story, says Roger, 12 of them--and they didn't believe it--tell me, what other little items did Burke amuse you with at this fascinating dinner party?--come on, if I'm the subject of a slanderous attack, at least I have the right to know how far it went. He spoke of a meeting in Bill Malloy's office the night he died, says Vicki, he said the meeting was called to clear his name. And he accused me, says Roger. Yes, she says. That of course is a lie, insists Roger, I know it, Sam knows it and Burke knows it. Why would he say such a thing? asks Vicki. Because he's a vicious man, says Roger, he's hated me ever since I took the oath in that witness chair and testified against him--he would use anything, any suspicion, any argument I might have had with Bill at the time. I'm afraid he knows about one argument, says Vicki--you see he asked me if Mr. Malloy had been at the house the night he died--I told him that he came here about 10, and that you and he were very angry with each other. Did you tell him what we were angry about? asks Roger. It was something about a meeting, that's all I knew, says Vicki--if you remember, you came in here and shut the door and I went upstairs. That's precisely what I mean, says Roger angrily--you have no right to report an argument that you didn't know anything about--it's only gossip for Burke to chew on. I'm sorry, says Vicki. What else did you tell him about this argument I had with Malloy? Roger asks. There wasn't anything else to tell, says Vicki--when I came downstairs at 10:30, Mr. Malloy was gone and you were talking on the phone. 10:30? Asks Roger--I was on the phone at 10:30? Yes, we talked about Sam Evans' dinner invitation, do you remember? I remember our conversation, says Roger, but I don't remember any phone conversation--who was I talking to, do you remember? I wasn't paying attention, says Vicki. Do you remember what the conversation was about? asks Roger. Something about a meeting, I think, says Vicki--what difference does it make? None, says Roger, I was just curious. Bill Malloy was gone, says Vicki, and you and I talked about Sam Evans, and then I went upstairs and you left. That's nonsense, says Roger, I didn't leave this house until 10 of 11. Oh no, it was much earlier than that, says Vicki. What time do you think I left? asks Roger. Let's see, says Vicki, I was in the upstairs hallway and I heard the front door slam--it must have been about 10:35, not much later--why? (Time discrepancy!) I simply feel that if you're going to report my movements to Burke Devlin, says Roger, that you should at least be accurate. I wasn't reporting your movements, says Vicki. As you wish, he says, be that as it may, I did not leave this house until 10 of 11. If you say so, says Vicki doubtfully. Good, then we're agreed, says Roger--it's not important, of course, it's just that I have rather a personal fetish for accurateness. It makes no difference to me one way or the other, says Vicki, but now, if you don't mind, I'll go up to bed. Of course, says Roger, and thank you for being so patient. He sees her off with a sick smile, then closes the doors and looks like he wants to be sick.

Roger opens the double doors to find Vicki sitting on the foyer table, talking on the phone. I just wanted you to know, that's all, she says--yes, of course I will--don't worry--bye. I thought you were going upstairs, says Roger. I wanted to make a phone call, says Vicki. To whom--Burke? asks Roger. I'm fed up with this nonsense, says Vicki, putting her earring back on. It was Burke, wasn't it? demands Roger. No, it was Maggie Evans, says Vicki, her father hasn't come home yet--she's very worried about him--are you quite satisfied?--and she starts to walk away from him, to the stairs. Wait, he says. Why? she asks--do you want a fuller report?--I told you--Sam Evans hasn't come home yet. She starts going upstairs, and he again begs her to stop, please. He joins her on the stairs and says he was rude and wants to apologize--I seem to be making a habit of apologizing--you're absolutely correct--it's is nonsense and there's no reason for you to be involved in it at all. That's just it, I don't want to be involved, insists Vicki. I don't blame you, he says, but I don't see how you can avoid it as long as you go on living in this house--I've been thinking about you and the pressures that you must be living other. You've added your share, she tells him. (You go, girl!) I'm sorry for that, he says, and I hope maybe I can make it up to you--I have friends in Florida--they have a delightful house and two charming children--they're desperate for someone to come down there and live with them and help take care of the children. What about David? asks Vicki. We managed before you arrived, says Roger, I'm sure we can work something out--Florida has wonderful weather, you know, and this house is right on the water--there would be no Widows' Hill, no ghosts, no dark corners, no pressure
--you'd be free of us and away from probings and questions and all the rest of it. Vicki grins and says it sounds very lovely--but I'm afraid I have to say no. If' it's money you need...begins Roger. No, thank you, says Vicki, I'd prefer to stay. You're a fool, says Roger. Probably, she agrees, and goes upstairs, Roger watching her retreating hindquarters. Then he puts on his hat, takes his coat and leaves the house.

I think I believe you, Sam, about Bill Malloy, says Burke. Can't you just forget about the rest of it? asks Sam. No, it's all tied up together, insists Burke. I told you I...begins Sam. Yes, I know, you told me you didn't kill Malloy, says Burke, but there's more to it than that!--all right, Sam, I've got things to do. He opens the door. Let it rest, advises Sam.
If Bill Malloy was murdered and you didn't do it, says Burke, there's only one other person that could have done it!

NOTES: It looks like Roger is guilty. He left earlier than he claims, he tried to send Vicki down south, and Sam assures Burke, very seriously, that he didn't do it. So is Roger our murderer, if, indeed, Bill was murdered at all?

Love the way Vicki comes back at Roger when he's browbeating her. I hate they way he keeps doing that, involving her in an ugly conversation, then turning charming and apologizing to her. I was glad she turned him down. I think she knows exactly what's worrying him.

Sam isn't ready to confess his role in the manslaughter fiasco, but he did convince Burke he didn't murder Malloy. You can't help but wish he'd come clean, and salve his conscience.

Love, Robin