Author Topic: the parallel-time "tease"  (Read 9260 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: the parallel-time "tease"
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2011, 06:17:45 AM »
Uncle Roger,

[spoiler]When Julia came back from 1897 to 1969, there's a scene where she tells Chris that he is actually a Collins because he descends from Quentin's daughter, who survived.  Since the head of the family in PT 1970 is a Quentin Collins who looks just like the 19th century Quentin, we must presume that the PT 1890s Quentin proved to be a devoted husband to Jenny and that both his children survived.  The Chris Collins of PT 1970 could therefore be a descendant of 1890s Quentin's first son, or of a second son if, as seems likely, he and Jenny had more children together.  If Chris was a first cousin of Quentin's, then he would have descended from very close to the original 1890s Quentin.  Since Chris handled Quentin's legal and financial affairs, he was clearly a close and trusted member of the family.[/spoiler]

That is my take on why Chris in PT is a Collins.  If Tom existed, he presumably was no longer living in Collinsport, as he is never mentioned.

Best, Gothick

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2011, 02:58:48 PM »
some characters...like liz, roger and carolyn for instance...seemed to be genuinely alternate versions of their "real time" counterparts. they were the same people for whom life had worked out differently. their circumstances were different. this was the original premise for the storyline.

others, like of course quentin and angelique, were actually different characters completely who happened to have the same names as characters who somehow functioned in "the present" but were not actually part of that time. ang and quentin were only extant in the present through supernatural causes. they didn't really "belong" there.

as for chris and amy they were such a minor presence i didn't concern myself much with their relationship to the period. in fact their abrupt departures mid-storyline gives me the impression that they were just finishing out don briscoe and denise nickerson's contracts.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2011, 01:20:13 AM »
I wish we could have known more about Chris Collins. Sadly during that storyline Donald became ill...Oh what a talent he was.  I hope he is entertaining the masses in the afterlife...
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2011, 01:44:49 AM »
um, really? [santa_undecided]

don was very, very easy on the eyes. and he certainly created a memorable DS characterization in chris jennings...

but i don't think i can agree that he was a gifted actor. [santa_lipsrsealed]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2011, 04:38:29 AM »
um, really? [santa_undecided]

he certainly created a memorable DS characterization in chris jennings...

but i don't think i can agree that he was a gifted actor. [santa_lipsrsealed]

I would think he'd need to be the latter, to achieve the former.   Also, the kind of basic, believable, everyday acting that viewers take for granted and see sometimes as being so easy, is hard.   I know, I've tried to act, and I know I have none of that talent.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2011, 04:50:10 AM »
have i been properly scolded, magnus?

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2011, 12:59:22 PM »
We didn't ever see Don Briscoe playing someone on Dark Shadows who was thoroughly different from his other characters, the way many other actors on Dark Shadows did, so I don't think we have enough evidence to make a fair judgment of his acting ability.  I think, however, that if Dan Curtis and the writers had seen great ability in him, we would have seen him playing different personalities.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2011, 02:42:15 PM »
Just trying to be positive.  Taeylor called him a "talent".   I see no reason to dispute that.   So what if he might not have had a wide range?   No one said he was one of the greatest who ever lived.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2011, 04:58:43 PM »
Polite disagreement in a debate is the furthest thing from a scolding.

Experts say that acting talent is something you're born with, and I feel that Briscoe's talent became more polished during his time on DS.  Starting with Chris, he had a terrific energy that made his characters even more sympathetic in their situations.  So I do think he was a talented/gifted actor who sadly lost that energy by the time he appeared in PT.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2011, 05:18:32 PM »
good grief.

i would have thought my choice of words(a "proper scolding")would make clear my remarks were meant lightly. a jest. a bit of back-and-forth.

it sounds like something roger would say.

back on subject. i would have to say that talent and presence are two different things. like most actors who ended up with major parts on the series briscoe had alot of onscreen presence. he kept your eyes glued to the screen when he was on it. however that's something else than being truly gifted along the lines of say grayson hall or louis edmonds or clarice blackburn. they were genuinely gifted actors.

even our beloved roger davis had alot of onscreen presence. he left an indelible mark on the series. but i would not call him an immensely talented actor.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2011, 05:53:56 PM »
Magnus apparently didn't realize you were joshing, which I can't say is surprising since none of us can hear your tone, see your facial expressions, or hear Roger's voice in your message.  That's why posters use smileys, "J/K" or state that they are joking.

Anyway, who's to say what Briscoe would have accomplished had he had the stage or screen credits and training of the actors you mentioned, and had more experience beyond his 30th birthday?

Roger Davis' acting had issues in spades!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2011, 05:57:22 PM »
good grief.

i would have thought my choice of words(a "proper scolding")would make clear my remarks were meant lightly. a jest. a bit of back-and-forth.

Okay.

i would have to say that talent and presence are two different things. like most actors who ended up with major parts on the series briscoe had alot of onscreen presence. he kept your eyes glued to the screen when he was on it. however that's something else than being truly gifted along the lines of say grayson hall or louis edmonds or clarice blackburn. they were genuinely gifted actors.

even our beloved roger davis had alot of onscreen presence. he left an indelible mark on the series. but i would not call him an immensely talented actor.

Isn't there a middle ground, between immensely talented actors, and actors who don't even rate as talented?   It sounds as if basic acting doesn't even count as "talent" to you.   A lot of people feel that way.   "Presence" doesn't get you through a scene believably.    Actors make a scene look natural, and viewers think it was easy.   Try it.   If you don't have the talent, gift, whatever, however basic that gift may be, it can be a disaster.

Midnite: I never even responded to the "scolding" remark.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2011, 06:07:16 PM »
Midnite: I never even responded to the "scolding" remark.

Thought this might have been but wasn't sure (which is why I stuck with "apparently")...
Just trying to be positive.

Regardless, it was not clear.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2011, 06:27:25 PM »
first i was jesting. now i'm annoyed.

i expressed an opinion of an actor on an old television show. i don't need to be badgered about it and i certainly don't owe anyone any explanations.

but you're right. i'm wrong. briscoe was talented. give him an emmy.

now i'm taking myself out of this tempest in a teapot. have fun.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2011, 12:48:59 AM »
I don't by any means think he was the best thing since sliced bread.  I do think he was a good actor who could have been an amazing actor.  As for presence, I think Don had a great presence and a good skill. He was nice on the eyes but that wasn't what made me like him.

He used to watch his performances and critique himself and I think that speaks volumes about an actor.  He was a much more  competent actor than some that graced the  DS screen; or that is my opinion.  I am sorry my comment turned into drama.   [santa_sad]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/