Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0084  (Read 1457 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0084
« on: October 28, 2011, 12:11:31 AM »

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0084
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 12:22:42 AM »
I gotta tell ya. I think Vicki was pretty stupid to turn her back on David to blow out the candle, especially when she was so nervous about being alone with him in the first place.

Joe: I'm just going to have dinner with someone, not getting married!
Carolyn: You bet you're not getting married! Not to me, anyway!
Joe: Maybe that's the best thing that could ever happen to me!
Applause, applause, applause! Go, Joe! ‘bout time.

I love how David has a hankerin’ for pie and milk after terrorizing Vicki. Kid’s got no conscience whatsoever. Heh...
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 03:58:17 PM »
I think David is treating himself to milk AND pie because he's so pleased with how cleverly he has managed to dispose of Vicki.

For the first time, Elizabeth is wearing that awful yellow hostess gown that will figure so prominently--and in color, no less--in HoDS. Her hair looks great, though. When she worries about David and Vicki, Carolyn tells her not to get one of her premonitions--this is the first and last we hear that Elizabeth has them!

Elizabeth reminisces about the parties at Collinwood when she was young--presumably they were hosted by [spoiler]her father, Jamison[/spoiler]. No doubt he enjoyed the treasure hunts in all the rooms of the West Wing before the rooms were closed off fifty years ago. [spoiler]I never thought about it before, but maybe he closed them off as a cost-saving measure--maybe after the crash of 1929?[/spoiler]

Speaking of fifty years ago, David entertains Vicki with a story of a girl who was trapped in the West Wing and not found for fifty years. He gloats, By then she was dead bones!

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 06:43:48 PM »
David talks about his friends that live in that part of the house that never really died.  Love the storm and trudging thorugh staris and hallways filled with cobwebs and piles of old furniture. The attic room with one high barred window seems designed for some mad member of the Collins family.  Did Jeremiah have someone in mind when he built the house?  This is the best strom so far and David locks Vickie in the room for the rest of her life. 
Could that weird rolled neck dress have really every been considered fashionalbe?
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 12:35:42 AM »
Could that weird rolled neck dress have really every been considered fashionalbe?

Most unfortunately, yes. They were called tent dresses, and although they didn't all have that rolled collar, they were still pretty awful.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 04:09:47 AM »
All I remember is Peggy Lee always going on talk shows with that sort of thing on (the tent not the rolled collar), and it always seemed as if she had something she desperately wanted to hide, under there...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 01:07:42 PM »
so elizabeth's legendary chartreuse "hostess gown" made it's debut in this episode?

whatever the producers paid for that monstrosity they certainly got their money's worth. i find it highly amusing that they schlepped that insane thing from the studio in new york out to tarrytown for the shooting of HODS. it lasted nearly the show's entire five year run.

it's sort of liz's signature piece. i believe it was meant to make her look "regal".
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 04:22:19 PM »
They should have kept the black number from episode one. I remember Peggy Lee  we always thought she was the real life inspiration for one of the muppets.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 04:24:09 PM »
so elizabeth's legendary chartreuse "hostess gown" made it's debut in this episode?

it's sort of liz's signature piece. i believe it was meant to make her look "regal".

This isn't quite accurate, but it makes me think of Uncle Fester.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 04:55:55 PM »
They should have kept the black number from episode one.

the black gown from the pilot came and went so quickly(it never again appeared after episode two)it makes me think that perhaps it was borrowed from ABC wardrobe rather than actually purchased.

since the pilot was probably filmed months before the series was actually picked up by the network and put into production it's costuming was probably largely returned and new things purchased once it had actually progressed to series.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 06:32:02 PM »
So I guess we can safely (as it were) assume that the yellow tent dress (also called a caftan) was one of those "fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's." Oy, oy, oy!

I loved that black-velvet-and-pearls look for Elizabeth. I was always happy when they brought something back that resembed that gown in the first two episodes.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 05:06:12 PM »
I gotta tell ya. I think Vicki was pretty stupid to turn her back on David to blow out the candle, especially when she was so nervous about being alone with him in the first place.
Yes, and then she expects him to stick around long afterward, while she calls out, "David?  David?"  As if that hard little heart of his would soften.  She should have been thinking about getting how to get the door off the hinges.  The window has bars, so egress that way would be difficult, but she could try dropping stuff out of it, or tying a long rag to the bars and letting it hang outside, on the off-chance that someone would notice.

The attic room with one high barred window seems designed for some mad member of the Collins family.  Did Jeremiah have someone in mind when he built the house?
The bars could have been added later.  Maybe Paul Stoddard was locked up in this room for a while.

Joe and Carolyn are through.  If Joe still had stars in his eyes for Carolyn, he'd have cancelled dinner at Maggie's even if he were an already an hour late, or else he'd have called Maggie and said he was bringing Carolyn along, without a thought in the world as to what Maggie might think.  But all he can think about is how soon he can leave Carolyn and go to Maggie.  Here's what I want to know: did Maggie choose the precisely correct psychological moment to launch her attack, or would any moment in the past couple of months have served as the precisely correct psychological moment?

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 07:18:29 PM »
Maybe Vickie doesn't know you can take the pins out of a door, but considering that she lived in an institution all her life, it would seem that she probably at one time saw a door being removed.   There was so much junk in that room there had to be something that would break the door down or at least knock a hole in the panels so she could reach the key.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 03:45:42 PM »
The way Carolyn has been treating Joe lately, I don't blame him for turning her down in favor of Maggie's dinner invitation. I don't see Maggie's inviting Joe to dinner as some devious plot to steal him away from Carolyn. She merely invited him for dinner and he saw no reason to turn her down. The guy needs some sweet talk and understanding, heaven knows he hasn't been getting any from Carolyn.

I do think that Maggie is interested in Joe. But at this point she is merely testing the waters, wanting to see where he stands with Carolyn. And right now, we all know it ain't looking good.

Have to agree Vicki was very very stupid to turn her back on David, or going anywhere alone with him for that matter, especially after she accused him of taking the pen.  David lived up to his nickname his father and Carolyn have given to him 'the little monster'...he certainly was that by locking Vicki in the room and thinking she'll die there and never be found, at least not alive.