Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0083  (Read 1621 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0083
« on: October 26, 2011, 10:40:27 PM »

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0083
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 12:27:16 AM »
I suppose Roger was surveying the grounds of the real Seaview. Once again, he is wearing his Inverness cape.

Later, he buries The PEN in a shallow grave.

Maggie invites Joe over for dinner. He says he'll think about it. What's to think about??!! Later, he teasingly tells Maggie that the deserted part of Collinwood--mentioned here for the first time!--is teeming with ghosts, dark corridors and dead people.

So guess where David wants to take Vicki?

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 12:34:08 AM »
Roger’s rather lame attempt to talk Vicki and David out of the pen’s whereabouts is the gist of this episode. That, and Maggie inviting Joe to potluck.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 01:05:28 AM »
The music during the storm may appear here for the very first time-- a very familiar piece of DS mood music.   David's sudden lust for revenge seems contrived.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 10:39:11 AM »
David's sudden lust for revenge seems contrived.
I don't see it that way.  We've seen David accused of several things.  The ones that come to my mind are the breaking of his aunt's favorite teacup and the removal of the bleeder valve from his Father's car.  Each time, David has strenuously denied his culpability, and each time the camera hasn't actually caught him in the act, so it has remained possible that he was as innocent as he claims to be.  Today, when accused of stealing The Pen, David defended himself just as obstinately as he has before – but this time we know that he is indeed innocent.  And this time he vowed vengeance on his accuser.  So today we got evidence that It was indeed David who broke the teacup and who removed the bleeder valve because this was the only time that he's seriously plotted revenge in response to an accusation.  I know, I'm the only one who cherished any doubt on the subject of the bleeder valve.  And I also know that the writers can ignore today's evidence any time they please and reveal to us that it was somebody else entirely who removed the bleeder valve.  But right now I find David's lust for vengeance to be noteworthy.

Roger's rather lame attempt to talk Vicki and David out of the pen's whereabouts is the gist of this episode.
I thought Roger was pretty smooth at getting Vicky and David not to talk to each other about The Pen.  But wild horses couldn't keep David from telling Burke about it.

Maggie's being very obvious about her interest in Joe.  What a nice change for him!

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 03:11:33 PM »
Roger's rather lame attempt to talk Vicki and David out of the pen's whereabouts is the gist of this episode.
I thought Roger was pretty smooth at getting Vicky and David not to talk to each other about The Pen.  But wild horses couldn't keep David from telling Burke about it.

As Vicki has bumped into Burke on the train, at the Blue Whale and at the coffee shop, what's to prevent her from bringing up The Pen in conversation with him? I think Roger's attemp to keep her quiet on the subject may very well encourage her to bring it up in conversation the next time she sees Mr. Devlin.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 03:26:53 PM »
Later in the episode, Joe "resigns from being an idiot" and gets ready for his dinner date with Maggie.

David is stunned that his father lied for him to Vicki. Later, though when he (D.) declares his intention of getting revenge, Roger says merely, That’s a matter that should be settled between the two of you. He thereby throws Vicki on David’s tender mercies, and David takes that as license to do whatever he wants. Evidently Roger is still afraid she’ll blab about The PEN and may be hoping that his charming son will scare her into leaving and save him from having to bribe her into a quick departure.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 10:49:43 PM »
When Vicki is gazing out the french windows at the storm, David comes in and tells her that his father has gone out and they are alone in the house. Where can Elizabeth possibly be??!!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 04:08:20 AM »
When Vicki is gazing out the french windows at the storm, David comes in and tells her that his father has gone out and they are alone in the house. Where can Elizabeth possibly be??!!

Didn't think of that...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 04:25:39 AM »
although it was made UBUNDANTLY clear from the series' outset that elizabeth hadn't left collinwood in eighteen years there were a few instances when the plot necessitated that one or more characters be left alone in the house without her.

it was a somewhat notable lack of continuity given the importance placed on her not ever leaving the place. i think a few times they skirted the issue by announcing that she was at matthew morgan's cottage or one of the other outbuildings on the estate...but still. [hall_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 03:47:16 PM »
Yeah. If the writers hadn't decided to have a storm, David could have said that his aunt was walking around the grounds or had gone to see Matthew about something.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 06:33:15 PM »
This seems to be a kinescope episode.  There was no voice on the VTR opening.  I keep wondering how they managed to break off the corner of the board and then tape it back togerther with electrical tape. 
If roger were smart he'd leave the pen somewhere near his office where his secretary would find it and then give it back to Burke.  He's still have to worry that Vickie might see Burke with it, but at least he'd have Burke and Carolyn off his back about the pen.
We learn that the Collins cannery only deals in sardines.  I guess that's symbolic of how they have fallen from the days of Jeremiah. 
I can see how Alexandra would be frustrated with Vickie's stupidity.  Going in the west wing alone with a known attempted murderer, who has written death on your mirror seems foolish.
I can see Elizabeth as the type of person who would walk the grounds in a storm or be out checking something with Matthew.  David may also be lying that they are alone in the house.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 07:26:25 PM »
This seems to be a kinescope episode.  There was no voice on the VTR opening.  I keep wondering how they managed to break off the corner of the board and then tape it back togerther with electrical tape. 

Yes. It is a kinescope episode and some fool probably dropped the slate.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 04:50:51 PM »
and some fool probably dropped the slate.
And Dan Curtis was too cheap to buy a new one.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 10:09:48 PM »
Vicki hasn't reached her 'I don't understand' stupidity phrase yet but I do think she should have been more wary of going anywhere alone with David. Maybe she thought she was making progress up to this point, but even if that was true, she just undid all of that by accusing the boy of stealing the pen...so yes, she should have been more on her guard.

I honestly don't think Roger would have cared if David had done more than just frighten Vicki. It might have even given him the leverage he needed to rid himself of the son he clearly doesn't want. Elizabeth wouldn't sent David away after the bleeder valve accident since Roger survived. But with Vicki dead, Roger would not stop until he made Elizabeth see that David's latest actions have now resulted in absolute death, and that she would have to face the fact that she can't allow the boy to stay around and cause any more destruction and mayhem.

I do so like the blossoming relationship between Joe and Maggie. I wonder if Maggie always had her eye on Joe, but she doesn't strike me as the type of gal who would steal another's boyfriend. I think she does sense that Joe is starting to get fed up with Carolyn and  is treading the waters by inviting Joe to dinner and explore from there.