Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0082  (Read 905 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0082
« on: October 26, 2011, 12:08:33 AM »
Robservations #82

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0082
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 12:36:23 AM »
When Roger comes to David's room and finds Vicki supervising David's school work, he is apparently surprised to see that she has The PEN--even though he already saw it with her just two episodes ago.

Roger offers Vicki two or three thousand dollars to leave Collinwood (presumably without The PEN). That was not an insignificant amount of money back in 1966.

Later on, Roger sneaks back into David's room, takes The PEN and makes a clean getaway!

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 12:42:48 AM »
…eight times eight is sixty-four, not sixty-five. Big deal! says David, it's close. Close isn't good enough, you have to be perfect, says Vicki. Nobody's perfect, says David, taking his crystal ball and sitting on the bed with it, you told me that yourself. That had nothing to do with math, she says. David says, I bet Mrs. Johnson doesn't know what 8 times 8 is. LOL!!!!

Later when Vicki tells David she has more math problems to solve when he’s finished the ones he’s working on, he says, What do you think I am, a slave?
I was never one to pay attention to which writer penned which episode, but David’s dialogue continuously has me in hysterics. My favorite, coming up in a future episode, is when he asks Sheriff Patterson what the noon whistle signifies. Heh, heh…

Anybody able to make out what the sheriff was reading? Looked to me like he had the book upside down, but my eyeballs ain’t what they used to be.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 05:26:58 AM »
Someone knowledgeable ought to post things to look out for before we reach an episode, without spoiling the whole plot... that might be fun.  What did your eyeballs used to be, Janet?

I was relieved that as hit-and-miss as my cognition tends to be now, I knew my multiplication still.   I find I have to leap to my instinctive first response in these things... if I wait and think, I'm unsure.   I still check the work of my speaking calculator, to confirm, that's a good sign.

DL-- Roger saw Vicki with the Pen?  Earlier?   Was it before Carolyn reminded him he lost it?  I may be ahead of or behind myself, I'm usually a couple ep's ahead. 

They're sneaking it in on us, as a now-established fact, that Malloy died at Lookout Point.   At first, that was something Roger said offhandedly to Vicki, which he shouldn't have known about if he wasn't involved.   Vicki questions this, then Roger says it's the most likely out of several spots where he could have died, to cover himself I think.  At that point, I think, Roger would have been the only person in the world to announce LP as the death site.   I may be wrong.  Maybe David's masterful tide and water flow charts and predictions indicated this to George...

I've started to find the name Lookout Point funny.   I imagine a whole history of murders there, where every time, someone seeing it yelled "Look Out!!" -- giving the place its name.

David says "cool" again.

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 09:20:21 AM »
They're sneaking it in on us, as a now-established fact, that Malloy died at Lookout Point.   At first, that was something Roger said offhandedly to Vicki, which he shouldn't have known about if he wasn't involved.   Vicki questions this, then Roger says it's the most likely out of several spots where he could have died, to cover himself I think.  At that point, I think, Roger would have been the only person in the world to announce LP as the death site.   I may be wrong.  Maybe David's masterful tide and water flow charts and predictions indicated this to George...
I think that Patterson saw the police report on place of death and David's report within minutes of each other, as he sat at his desk.

Roger saw Vicky with The Pen previously after Carolyn reminded him of its existence.  I figure between his first and second sightings of it he was in denial, in the best Collins tradition.

The crystal ball has reappeared again.  David was offended when Vicky called it a toy, and I don't blame him.  It's a real crystal ball, whether or not David sees anything in it.  And anyway, it might be a better teacher of arithmetic than Vicky is.  Good heavens, she didn't burst a vessel when David wrote (I sure it was on a written quiz) that 8 times 8 was 65!  He should know that the product of two even numbers must be an even number.  He should know that 65 is divisible by five and 8 is not.  And the squares up to 10 - at the very least, and preferably up to 25 - should be engraved on his brain.  Forget the four dozen apples problem Vicky gave him.  He needs the basics.

I wonder if the Collinsport townsfolk have memorized the coffeeshop schedules of Maggie and Susie.  One of them talks and talks, and the other never says a word.  One man's meat is another man's poison, so I figure half the town shows up when Maggie's on-shift, and the other half stays away until Susie's in.  Sheriff Patterson will never finish his book if he tries to read it when Maggie's there.

Burke asks Roger, "Where were you when you lost The Pen?" and Roger, like a fool, does not answer, "If I knew that, it wouldn't be lost!"

Online alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 09:13:37 PM »
Totally agree with Janet about David's dialogue
Roger arrives at the coffee shop in a new car  a GTo or a Lemans.   The insurance company must have come through and at least they recalled that he wrecked the mustang and didn't use it again.
Burke suddenly wants his pen back after not even caring enough about it to just give it to Carolyn in the first place and not thinking about it until now.
Roger is scheming again to get Vickie to leave again. One would think that between Roger and Carolyn alone her head would be spinning.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 09:53:14 PM »
Burke is still nagging Sheriff Patterson about the connection between Roger and the Pen. When is Burke going to realize that his clear dislike for Roger and speculations about what he MIGHT have done with the pen isn't going to fly with the sheriff without something to back him up...Burke can rave and rant all he wants but he has done absolutely nothing to disguise the fact that there is nothing more he'd like than to see Roger arrested for Malloy's murder. Little wonder that Patterson won't take listen to him at this point.

And Burke's harassing Roger later on with Patterson walking in on them certainly won't make Patterson any more willing to listen to Burke.

I did like the little school lesson between Vicki and David. David, like Burke, wants to believe that Roger killed Malloy, and so relies on the crystal ball to show him what he wants to see.

I suppose I can't really blame Burke and David for their mutual disdain for Roger. We do know that Roger [spoiler] did cause the accident that sent Burke to jail [/spoiler] and he has never had much use for David except when he wants to exploit the boy for his own agenda. And now Roger has gotten his hands on the PEN. Some guy Roger has been thus far.