Author Topic: Looking for Super 8mm home movies shot on the sets of  HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS and NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS!  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
The primary historical locations (Lyndhurst manor in Tarrytown, NY and others) remained open to the public during the filming of these two movies, back in 1970 and 1971.

Naturally, lots of teenage fans showed up and took snapshots and home movies.

I've seen dozens of snapshots, but have never been lucky enough to see any of this home movie footage. As a research tool, it'd prove invaluable, and would also be a thrill to see, as it might feature behind the scenes footage on scenes that no longer exist.

I'd pay a worthwhile amount for this kind of footage or for a video copy of it.

Does anyone here have any of these home movies, or have you ever seen any?

Thanks,
Darren

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
most movie sets wouldnt allow photography from bystanders. sneaking a quick snapshot is one thing but filming with a noisy 8mm camera would have attracted attention. your reaching but good luck finding this. it would be great to see.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Hi Joe.

It would be reaching, except that I know of someone that claims to have a few Super 8mm reels of just such material.

You're correct, though about disrupting filming. It all depends on who's on set on what day and how obtrusive the fans were. I know of a couple of snapshot clicking fans that were ordered off the property by one of the production managers, but he was probably overstepping his position. Since the same people came before and since without incident, it was just a matter of luck.

I doubt there's any footage shot while the feature cameras were running,  but given the size of the property and the downtime between setups, there could be plenty of rehearsal shots, shots of the actors hanging around the sets in costume or in the makeup/costume trailer waiting for their time to come.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Well, if any of these ever turn up, I'd love to see them!

Steve

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Well, if any of these ever turn up, I'd love to see them!

And if these 8mm films do turn up, maybe they could be included as extras on the DVD!! ;)

Brian