Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0066  (Read 1004 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0066
« on: October 03, 2011, 08:06:28 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0066
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 08:10:25 PM »
Five minutes makes such a difference to everybody...   how can anyone account for his actions minute by minute?

[8_1_203] [8_1_203]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 09:55:42 PM »
Listening to Vicki's story about sending letters to herself in the orphanage was pretty sad. She must not have had many friends when she was growing up. Elizabeth did look a bit guilty listening to Vicki's story. [spoiler] It really is too bad the writers didn't follow though on revealing Vicki to be her daughter. I would have loved to have known Elizabeth's reasons for having to give Vicki up. [/spoiler]

I love the battling scenes between Roger and Burke. How sly of Roger to practically force Vicki into giving him an alibi, and by doing so he just cost her one of her few friends she has in Collinsport. Now that Burke feels that Vicki has stabbed him in the back, maybe he won't have any qualms now about her getting hurt in his plans against the Collinses.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 12:36:51 AM »
Five minutes makes such a difference to everybody...   how can anyone account for his actions minute by minute?

I don't know if Roger would have had time to kill Bill even if he did lave the house at 10:30. He would have had to set up a meeting with Bill somewhere and then catch him off guard.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 09:54:37 AM »
Would Roger have had to make an appointment, Janet?  If I remember correctly, Lookout Point is between Bill's house and the cannery, so anybody could have lain in wait for Bill, as long as they knew that he was walking.  Roger did talk to Bill's housekeeper that night, and we don't know exactly what she told him.

Oh, gosh, how I wish Sheriff Patterson hadn't told all and sundry that Bill Malloy died at 10:45 pm.  But that's not fair; it wouldn't have spared us from seeing Burke going on a rampage, because nothing would have spared us from seeing Burke going on a rampage.  It's been going on for days and days now, and I hope we've come to the end of it.  Is there anybody left for him to barge in on?  Come to think of it, he hasn't asked Mr. Wells if he saw Bill Malloy that night.

Elizabeth looked quite stricken by Vicky's sad tale of writing letters to herself – guilt-stricken, in fact.  Still, I couldn't help feeling that Vicky shouldn't have told it.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 03:11:29 PM »
Vicki's story of writing herself letters is one of those classic moments. I suppose it was a hint at the original theory of Vicki's birth.

Burke is upset that Vicki's story doesn't fit his idea of what happened, but I think he still admires her for being so honest.

Nice moment when Burke tells Roger, I want your hide.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 12:16:35 AM »
Burke is upset that Vicki's story doesn't fit his idea of what happened, but I think he still admires her for being so honest.

I think Burke just lost his respect for Vicki, because he's certain the she lied for her employers.   She didn't though.  All she said in Roger's defence was that she "had every reason to believe" that Roger didn't leave till ten before the hour.   That's an opinion, and opinions don't count.   She said it right after not having been able to confirm the exact time Roger says he left.   In the heat of the moment, Burke seemed to see it as a sell-out on her part, but since a lawyer could destroy that statement in two seconds, it really helps Burke.

[8_1_210]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 01:50:17 AM »
Roger accusses Vickie of prying and spreading rumors.  Way to treat your witness. 
If Vickie wasn't so self absorbed, she might have noticed that Elizabeth said the she was here now and wasn't that enough.  Clearly Elizabeth wants Vickie to just leave it alone as to whom were her parents.   This was the first time that I felt empathy for Vickie when she related one of her stories about the foundling home.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 02:48:58 AM »
The scene as affecting the first time, but on second viewing, I can't help but think:  Liz rightly asked if the other orphans were such terrible company.  Orphanages are notorious for fights and general unpleasantness I guess, but public school is like that too.   Anyone who expects to form her sense of identity based on finding a set of parents who abandoned her (perhaps by necessity but still) is being unrealistic, and she's going to be disappointed.   Whether her birth parents are anything like her or not (mine weren't), her identity can't come from outside, it has to be formed from the inside out, through experiences and forming of beliefs.    It's like people thinking that a marriage partner will complete them and solve their problems.   You have to become a fairly complete person in your own right... others can't do it for you.

It got to be too much for me, the writing of letters to oneself.   Maybe it's just my own past combined with my present that puts me in the critical mood right now.