Author Topic: DARK SHADOWS and S-E-X!  (Read 2966 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
DARK SHADOWS and S-E-X!
« on: December 12, 2002, 12:17:07 AM »
While being interviewed during DARK SHADOWS' heydey, Humbert Allen Astredo, when asked his opinion of the show's appeal, answered, "It's the SEX!"

Now, there are those who will insist there was NO sex on DARK SHADOWS, beyond a few kisses.  Others consider the vampire bite sexy, sensual, which explains why one viewer sighed and claimed, "I could smoke a whole pack of cigarettes when that Barnabas bites somebody."

There are things we KNOW happened--Carolyn and Jeb had a pretty obvious morning-after-wedding scene in which she was draped across him (in the same bed!), wearing the tops of his pajamas.  He was wearing the bottoms.  For DS, that was about as risque as it got.    

Angelique and Barnabas had their night or nights in Martinique, and whether we believe it was a one-nighter, as some do, or a multiple, we know it was hot enough that she pursued the guy for nearly 200 years!  We saw them share one BIG kiss, when Barnabas was trying to insist they be friends, not lovers, and while he tells her they have different roles to play now, it's obvious that he's tempted by her proffered game of "servant and master."

Bramwell and Catherine had their erotic moments, some on-screen, some off (their child was conceived during the commercial, but when they returned, Catherine was on the bed, looking very satisfied, while Bramwell was getting dressed).  When he caresses her face and she begs him, "Don't be gentle with me," damn, *I* could smoke a whole pack of ciggies, and I don't smoke!

There are wet smooches, forbidden kisses, longing glances, but for the most part, DARK SHADOWS was subtle with its sex.  Sometimes, you have someone who is obviously trying to put something over on the censors, like the 1970PT scene in which John/Cyrus licks Maggie's hairbrush!

Here's my question--

Who participated in your favorite DS love scene?  What made it so special for you?  Did it inspire any, er, fantasies for you?  (No need to go into detail on those, unless you want to.)

Whose love scenes were boring, unbelievable and if it were up to you, would be slashed permanently from the show?

Who never shared a passionate moment on DS that you sure wish had gotten the chance?

If you could choose any ONE DARK SHADOWS couple you'd have wanted to see have a baby together, who would it be?  

Have fun, folks!

Love, Robin  

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: DARK SHADOWS and S-E-X!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2002, 03:07:08 AM »
For me, the most erotic scene was the one that had every schoolboy in junior high who raced home to watch the show died over and never forgot:  PT1970 Quentin Collins carrying the new Mrs. Maggie (nee Evans) Collins over the threshold in her Junior Sophisticates short, short, shorty-short dress (I guess parallel time also had a Junior Sophisticates) and you could see her unmentionables.  To the smitten males whose hearts raced over their sweetheart, that was undoubtedly the most sexy moment on the entire series.

Gerard

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2002, 03:37:02 AM »
Great questions!!!!

1.  Can't say I have a favorite romantic scene from DS.  I feel that DS rarely handled romantic scenes very well, which is odd, considering the importance of romance to the various plots.  However, I do feel that the Bramwell-Catherine scenes from 1841 PT were the most successfully and believably romantic.

2.  Least believable romantic scene?  Any scene involving Roger Davis!  

3.  Character most deserving of romance?  Dr. Julia Hoffman.  The closest she came to romance was being victimized by Tom Jennings.  Granted, there are worse fates a person could suffer <lol>, but Julia deserved better (e.g. shacking up with affliction-free Jennings brothers).

4.  As far as characters having children, I think it's nice to think of Maggie and Joe meeting up at Wyndcliffe, falling back in love, marrying, raising a family, and living happily ever after.

Regards,

John

Offline Rhonda

• Junior Poster
  • Whattya call a redhead with an attitude? Normal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2002, 09:35:37 AM »
Dark Shadows is a great example of how incredibly sexy a show can be without actually showing ANY sex. We can count on one hand the number of times the act itself was even hinted at during the run of the show, and yet, I venture to say that this show has inspired more sexual fantasies than Baywatch and Temptation Island put together.

That's the beauty of the way DS was written. There are so many places where your imagination gets to play! Not just about sex, but about everything! DS doesn't spoon-feed you what to think and feel all the
time, the way most soaps do now.

Some of the most romantic movies left the love scenes to the imagination. Rhett Butler carries Scarlett up the stairs and that's all we need to see...

Who participated in your favorite DS love scene?

I'm guessing this is different than fav romantic scene, and more along the lines of favorite erotic scene?

In that case, I'll have to say Angelique's vampire scenes with Joe were very hot. (fanning myself)

I also liked the scene with Tony and the lighter!

Hmmm... I think I see a pattern here (Mistress Rhonda laughs and cracks her whip) ;)

Whose love scenes were boring, unbelievable and if it were up to you, would be slashed permanently from the show?

Well... the wedding night of Jeff Clark and Vicki had to be the worst.  Her matronly nightgown and the lack of chemistry between them was a real snore.

The wedding night I'm grateful they didn't show was Judith and Trask's. (shudder) When he put his hands on Rachel, I flinched. Ewwww, Ewwww, Ewwww.

Who never shared a passionate moment on DS that you sure wish had gotten the chance?

I would have liked to have seen Angelique vamp on Quentin.

If you could choose any ONE DARK SHADOWS couple you'd have wanted to see have a baby together, who would it be?  

Carl and Pansy Faye. Now that kid would have a sense of humor!

Rhonda
Too much of a good thing can be wonderful.

-Mae West

Connie

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2002, 09:43:37 AM »
To the smitten males whose hearts raced over their sweetheart, that was undoubtedly the most sexy moment on the entire series.

Here you are, my dear.

;)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2002, 10:11:18 AM »
Where's Ringo? Has anybody seen Ringo? <Knock, knock, knock> Ringo! Unlock that door right now! I know what you're doing in there! RINGO!!!

MomDom [evily]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2002, 03:44:31 PM »
Bless you, Connie!  My heart's still smitten after all these years!

Gerard

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2002, 09:15:04 PM »
Great questions!!!!

3.  Character most deserving of romance?  Dr. Julia Hoffman.  The closest she came to romance was being victimized by Tom Jennings.  Granted, there are worse fates a person could suffer <lol>, but Julia deserved better (e.g. shacking up with affliction-free Jennings brothers).

I agree with John that Julia was deserving of some romance ..surprise? naw?  But I would say the Tom Jennings & Julia moments were highly charged with some eroticism .. .when she'd take off that scarf, her eyes were very very naughty and his tongue. . well, it said it ALL ladies!. . .
Julia99

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2002, 12:23:06 AM »
It's funny you should mention that now, Julia.  Lying awake at 3 a.m. with a light fever last night, I found myself running an outline for a brand new article:  "The Eroticism of Grayson Hall."

A lot of fans might be surprised to learn just how much material there is on that topic.  From the actress every college boy dreamed of getting stuck on a desert island with in 1951, to a very urbane and sophisticated courtesan in a 1955 production of "La Ronde,"  to a wildcat "beatnik poetess" in an "off Broadway movie" in 1957,  to Stacey Keach's playmate in those X-rated scenes of End of the Road in 1968, to Warda the Queen of the Whores in 1971's The Screens.  And all of that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Then there's the semi-orgasmic moment on DS during the Parallel Time 1970 storyline when button-down prim and proper Hoffman flings open the drawing room doors, sees what she thinks is her long lost love Angelique Collins, and all but melts into an incandescent puddle.   It's a really shocking scene.  Must be why I always feel compelled to rewind and replay it so many times every time I watch that tape.

Gothick

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2002, 06:48:45 AM »
It's funny you should mention that now, Julia.  Lying awake at 3 a.m. with a light fever last night, I found myself running an outline for a brand new article:  "The Eroticism of Grayson Hall."

Gothick

I'll look forward to reading that. . btw--what MPI vol is that PT scene on??
Julia99

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2002, 12:54:47 PM »
Who participated in your favorite DS love scene?  What made it so special for you?  Did it inspire any, er, fantasies for you?  (No need to go into detail on those, unless you want to.)

Well, one of my favorite love scenes was between Angelque & Barnabas when he goes to her room (1795) to ask her if they can still be friends and they wind up passionately kissing each other.  I swear I've never seen him kiss anyone other woman on the show like that before! He practically sucked her whole face in with his mouth!  A pretty hot scene!  I always thought that these two had the best chemistry as lovers between them. You can just imagine what their nights in Martinique were like![kaiokn][kaiokn]

I thought the whole "Master/Servant scene was pretty hot too!

Another scene I liked was when Quentin takes Daphne to bed, (finally)  thought that was pretty HOT!! [/size][/b] [burn]

Oh, that would be easy.  Jeff Clark & Betsy Durkin Vicky!![sleep]

I think Julia & Roger would have made a good couple. These two needed stability in their lives when it came to relationships and I really think they could have made something out of it.

Barnabas & Angelique!  I could just imagine what the "little devil" would be like!

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2002, 08:19:48 PM »
[wavey]  Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   YUMMY pic of
the Q-man carrying Maggie!!!!!   By any chance
could i be the one in his arms PLEASE?????????
CONNIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    LOVE ANNE
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2002, 08:23:04 PM »
For me, I think the best love scene was between Barnabas and Angelique, when she first came to Collinwood in 1795.  Even though he told her to go away, these two are just genuinely hot for each other.  They didn't fuel any fantasies for me, however.  Most of my 1795 fantasies involve bad boy Nathan Forbes, who sadly didn't have much of an outlet for his sexy self!

As to boring love scenes, I have to vote for Burke Devlin #2 and Vicki - no chemistry.  Don't buy these two together at all!

Julia would ordinarily be my choice for who should've gotten some touch but did not.  However, I'm going to choose Liz Collins Stoddard.  She deserved some loving!  Wonder what she would've been like matched with Nicholas Blair?

For the baby-making duo, I'm curious to know what interesting plotline might center around a baby born of the Carolyn Stoddard/Jeb Hawkes pairing.

Thanks for the fun questions, Robin!
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2002, 09:18:14 PM »
Hi Julia,

I believe the episode I mentioned is on MPI tape 149.  If I have time I can double check over the weekend.

xo  Gothick

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2002, 04:54:43 PM »
I think a love child between Barney and Angie would have been a very interesting charactor.  The writers could have had a field day with him/her.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth