Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0059  (Read 1401 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0059
« on: September 22, 2011, 11:58:02 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0059
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 01:25:04 AM »
This stretch of story is all spinning wheels, and fake-outs.   Roger manages ECS well, and we get Roger's fake-out confession, used to allay suspicion.  [spoiler]It starts out true and ends up false, with real outrage from Roger that he could be suspected, despite the first part being the truth!   Of course, it may ALL have been the truth as far as the makers of DS were concerned, at this point...[/spoiler]   Joan Bennett got to do some nice acting, getting across the horror of hearing all this from her brother.   A very realistic reaction... as is her suspicion and questioning of Roger again, a couple of minutes later.   She's no fool.   That stuff can only work on her for so long.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 03:27:28 AM »
Once again, Roger practically bullies Elizabeth into believing Malloy was wrong, that Burke was in fact guilty, and that he Roger is innocent. Starting with a 'bogus' confession really put the ice on the cake. It reminded me of when [spoiler] in 1897 Gregory Trask likewised bullied Charity into believing his innocence after she discovered the confession Hanley tricked him into signing. [/spoiler]

David gets nasty again since Vicki won't believe him about his father killing Malloy. And his line about not killing anyone...not for lack of trying, that's for sure.

I wonder what Sheriff Patterson's opinion is on the whole Burke/Roger mess about the manslaughter case. He can't really pursue it since Burke was convicted and to date there has been no new evidence uncovered to make him believe the case should be reopened. But learning that Malloy set up the meeting so he could clear Burke has got to make the lawman extremely curious.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 11:12:40 AM »
Vicky said a few episodes ago that there were 130 beds in the foundling home in which she grew up.  She gave the impression that most of the time all 130 beds were taken.  So she grew up with 129 other kids around her and, if I remember correctly, she taught them for a couple of years as well.  She ought to know children.  And yet she thinks that David's hatred of his father is something that he can be teased and scolded out of.  Miss Marple she ain't.

I've changed my mind.  Previously I said that Mrs. Johnson killed Bill Malloy.  Now I've decided I know what Bill Malloy's hole card was, and it points (yeah, I know, it's rude for hole cards to point) right to one certain character, somebody whom we have actually met.  I'm putting it in a spoiler, even though I know that character is not in fact the killer: [spoiler]Burke[/spoiler]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 05:50:48 PM »
Sheriff Patterson is admiring a Collins portrait when Roger comes downstairs. Roger tells him the portrait is of his great-uncle Benjamin Collins. Hmmm....

David is all dressed up in a suit and tie in anticipation of his father's imminent arrest.

Roger is positively cruel to Elizabeth, just as David is cruel to Vicki. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

I think Vicki is still getting David's measure. Some of the 130 orphanage kids may have been troubled, but I'm sure David would take the cake.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 03:52:43 AM »
Sheriff Patterson is admiring a Collins portrait when Roger comes downstairs. Roger tells him the portrait is of his great-uncle Benjamin Collins. Hmmm....

Roger said it's a portrait of his Great Uncle; wouldn't that make him a brother to Judith, Edward, Carl and Quentin?  But it was the Sheriff who said the subject in the foyer was Benjamin Collins, and Roger responded with sarcasm about the purpose of his visit without giving any indication if he got it right or not.  Yet for sure Liz pointed out Benjamin's portrait in the drawing room ("Isaac, Jeremiah, Theodore, Benjamin"), and I'm more inclined to believe that Liz got it right and the Sheriff got it wrong.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 07:25:37 PM »
The sheriff’s doing pretty well here, I think. As far as the questioning goes. The answers he’s getting, not so good.

David’s got evidence to convict his father based on what the widows and his crystal ball have told him. Man, what a kid. I love it when he asks the sheriff about Roger, "Aren't you taking him with you?"
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 09:24:24 PM »
Vickie comes in with wrapped packages.  I wonder if they are the same ones Carolyn had in an earlier shopping spree. It's a ten minute drive to Roger's office so Collinwood isn't very far from town.  THe walk to town would not be so bad down the hill, but back up no so much fun.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 04:46:10 PM »
Could Benjamin & Theodore have been the sons of Gabriel & Edith?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 07:28:34 PM »
Good possibility! They did have unnamed children. But I don't remember hearing Theodore's name.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 09:12:31 PM »
But I don't remember hearing Theodore's name.

Liz first identified the drawing room portraits in Ep #4.  The order is given above in Reply #5.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 09:17:50 PM »
Theodore and Benjamin??? Is there a previously unrecognized Collins/Chipmunk (as in Alvin &) connection???

G.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 07:40:44 AM »
When Elizabeth said “Isaac, Jeremiah, Theodore, Benjamin” in that previous episode, I noticed that her gestures (or lack thereof, I can't remember exactly) could be interpreted to mean that when she said Benjamin she was referring to the portrait in the foyer.