Author Topic: Relatives that make fun of you  (Read 5991 times)

Connie

Re: Relatives that make fun of you
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2002, 08:34:28 AM »
I neglected to mention I took a photo or two.

Oh my God....

Oh my GOD !!!!

[puke]  [puke]  [puke]

That is like....the SICKEST thing I have ever seen!  ROFL

Well folks, it's finally happened.  SOMEONE has finally succeeded in rendering me SPEECHLESS!!!!!!

At a loss for words,
-CLC  :-X

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2002, 08:42:44 AM »
I neglected to mention I took a photo or two.

Did I just hear LoveAtFirstBITE say "touche"?

[lghy]

Connie

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2002, 12:50:21 PM »
Ya know, this topic is supposed to be about RELATIVES that make fun of you.  Not AUTHORS!

-CLC

Just wait...I'm gonna GET him.  Just you wait and see.  ;)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2002, 01:05:10 PM »
Neither my husband nor son like DARK SHADOWS at all, and Brad, my 19-year-old wild child, will, on occasion, yell out, "BARNABAS!" for no reason at all.  I assume he's trying to piss me off, but it just makes me laugh.

Since I hit my forties, I don't really give a crap what people think of my likes and dislikes, so I freely admit my passion for our show.  I didn't always; I was too self-conscious.  If people look askance at me, they can go to hell.  

It's great being a grown-up!

Love, Robin

PS - Mark, I really enjoyed your little stripper club story, and as for the photo that followed--sick, wonderful, sick!

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2002, 04:01:18 PM »
Neither my husband nor son like DARK SHADOWS at all, and Brad, my 19-year-old wild child, will, on occasion, yell out, "BARNABAS!" for no reason at all.  I assume he's trying to piss me off, but it just makes me laugh.

Since I hit my forties, I don't really give a crap what people think of my likes and dislikes, so I freely admit my passion for our show.  I didn't always; I was too self-conscious.  If people look askance at me, they can go to hell.  

It's great being a grown-up!

Love, Robin

PS - Mark, I really enjoyed your little stripper club story, and as for the photo that followed--sick, wonderful, sick!

couldn't  have said it better Robin!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2002, 04:03:41 PM »
and Mark is that the cover photo for your next book!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2002, 07:10:27 PM »
Oh, my family thinks my DS obsession is for the birds, but they do their best to ignore it.  My Dad thinks it's kind of cute, but my Mom has hated DS since the Sixties.  They came up to Boston for a visit and were shocked by my Avengers collection--thankfully they never saw the DS tapes!  My sister is basically oblivious to all of it, although Cassandra gave her nightmares in the Sixties, so she does vaguely recall it.  I watch it sometimes when I'm at home and Sci Fi runs it, especially if it is a good Grayson or Thayer show.  They have to put up with it then.

I'm still waiting for a storyboard featuring Tim Shaw, the most luscious male of Collinwood in my book.  How about fitting him in somewhere below or on top of Quentin on "98 bottles of beer on the wall"?  Yeah, Tim helps his old buddy Quentin out.  That's the ticket.

Just trying to see how sick we can make this topic,

Gothick

Connie

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2002, 07:19:31 PM »
Brad, my 19-year-old wild child, will, on occasion, yell out, "BARNABAS!" for no reason at all.  

LOL.  I find this very funny.  Don't ask me why 'cause I don't know!

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2002, 11:58:56 PM »
Well I have to chime in on this one.  Being a 40ish woman I have been a fan since 1st run days.
When  we had it rerun here in the 80's my daughter was in grade school 3-4th grade and she would watch with me. But the station dropped it and I didn't discover it again until the Scifi channel. My daughter is now grown and married and thinks I am obsessed and weird but doesn't hold it against me.
My husband (#2) is really great.  He never heard of it before the SciFi channel started showing them.  He watched the entire run with me and even walks around the house occasionally saying EVILLLLL like Trask. He humored me and took me to the LA 2002 Fest and we had a blast. I have started to collect the DVDs have 1-3 Preorded 4-6 and he doesn't bat an eye.
My old school (grade/high school) girlfriends used to watch the show too and think I am not too far gone, just a bit nutz.
My mother on the other hand thinks I am total weird. But what does she know she hated Batman TV show, Lost in Space and all of the Star Treks. It is hard to believe we are related!
One more story... my podiatrist found out I went to the fest and told me he was a fan when he was a kid.  He made me promise to bring in the fest book the next time I have to see him.

LdyAnne

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2002, 12:51:40 AM »
My daughter is now grown and married and thinks I am obsessed and weird but doesn't hold it against me.

This really tickled me!  That's the attitude most of my friends seem to take with my DS infatuation.  However, sometimes I've gotten a little validation.  

My hubby and I threw a party a couple years back, right after we moved in together.  We had the movie Barbarella running continuously (with the sound turned off) on the tv in the living room as wallpaper.  In our bedroom, I did the same thing with Dark Shadows.  Towards the end of the party, I went into the bedroom and several guests were there watching the tape (some 1897 eps.) Turns out several of our guests were closet DS fans, and we laughed and talked about the show for the rest of the party.

My husband teases me about some of the more melodramatic aspects of the show; he loves Grayson, and thinks Angelique is a hoot, but doesn't really watch with me.  But last Christmas, he gave me a copy of the Dark Shadows Companion as a gift.  The accompanying gift tag said it was from 'the Collins family.'

When I was very young (6 or 7) and the show was in its original run, I used to try to watch Dark Shadows at my Grandma's house, where I went after school each day.  Though it creeped me out, I was intrigued by the show.  But it scared the hell out of my slightly younger cousin, who would let out a scream every time she saw Barnabas' face!  Gram would then yell at me about trying to watch that scary show.  Guess DS has just been in my blood for a very long time!
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline LoveAtFirstBITE

• Full Poster
  • A repressed hysteric
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2002, 12:58:50 AM »

Did I just hear LoveAtFirstBITE say "touche"?

[lghy]

Yes you did!  I yelled it.

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2002, 01:10:31 AM »
I love the cover of your new book, Mark! This will get their attention.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2002, 08:12:05 AM »

My family thinks I'm weird no matter what and that my love of Dark Shadows is just one more manifestation.  And while my husband thinks my whole classic TV addiction is weird, guess who he calls when he and his co workers or drinking buddies has a TV trivia question?
Go figure!!!

Actually I don't think that "THE PICTURE" is Mark's new book cover.  I think it's a photo from KLS's new book, "The Bunny Years-A DS Fandom Retrospective"!

Or it could be Connie's fantasy of jumping out of the Q-Man's birthday cake!!!  That would give a new perspective to the new Q-man/DS Forum catch phrase..... YUMMY!
[/color]

[shadow=purple,left,300]
Always, Minja [vryevl]
[/shadow]
[/size]
....ducking...
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Connie

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2002, 12:57:46 PM »
Or it could be Connie's fantasy of jumping out of the Q-Man's birthday cake!!!  That would give a new perspective to the new Q-man/DS Forum catch phrase..... YUMMY!

Well, I may have a few fantasies lurking here and there, but that's definitely not one of them.  LOL

-CLC  ;)
Thinking of moving to another country - or maybe even Kentucky or something  

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2002, 06:42:19 AM »
I remember quite well when I found DS again. It was just a couple of weeks before its run on SciFi ended last time. I was SO excited, I was just happily gushing on and on to my husband. He managed to act bored enough long enough to shut me up. This from the man who I once waited for the commercial to come on so I could actually tell him something (other than about DS). He yelled at me, because he was trying to listen to it!

Did I mention that I'm divorced?

My kids like it, though they don't usually watch with me anymore. I love the soap opera discussions that arise when they do and I am explaining, "OK, Quentin is EVIL now, it isn't until later that he is nice." Or with the DVDS, "Remember, Barnabus was really a bad guy then!" They nod and take it all in, they are too young to think I'm weird for it and it all makes sense to them....
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton