Author Topic: Relatives that make fun of you  (Read 5997 times)

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
Re: Relatives that make fun of you
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2002, 05:01:58 PM »
Hey, last night we went out to dinner and my husband actually said he enjoys watching DS sometimes.  I think I am still in shock.  I don't think it was the drinks we had only had one.  Wonder why he was buttering me up? ( I know what  the rest of you are thining he was hoping to get lucky'}  I think the man is hoping to keep me sane until DS is back and through the holiday season.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2002, 03:00:49 AM »
Hey, last night we went out to dinner and my husband actually said he enjoys watching DS sometimes.  I think I am still in shock.  I don't think it was the drinks we had only had one.  Wonder why he was buttering me up? ( I know what  the rest of you are thining he was hoping to get lucky'}  I think the man is hoping to keep me sane until DS is back and through the holiday season.  

Birdie

ROTFL  Birdie
jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2008, 05:43:23 AM »
After DS 1991 ended I watched it repeatedly over the summer. I was CRUSHED when it didn't return. I guess like a lot of original fans were back in '71.  I was 14 at the time and my mom and dad made me quit watching for about a month.  They thought I was getting obsessed!! LOL  Maybe I was as I have been a part of fandom for 17 years now.  When I used to chat back and forth with Kathleen Resch when were working on my zine my aunt was convinced she was a witch and going to ruin me.  OH BROTHER! My aunt is about like Trask though  [ghost_wacko].  I actually got two of my dearest friends into DS and they still are loving the show all these years later.  MY brother liked it a lot but not crazy about it like I am.  His significant other hates it though and just amuses me when I am around them and talking DS.  She says it looks like someone pointed a home movie camera at the actors and taped it. I of course had to explain to her that  it was like a videotaped stage play and that they couldnt stop filiming no matter what. So yes my family thought I was crazy and my aunt obviously thought I was going down the rosie road to hell.  She still does me being gay and all. [ghost_sad]  I do identify with others on this board though.  I quit carrying what people thought about me years AGO.  What a freeing experience that was. And I loved the eccentric title bestowed upon me as well.  Hell I don't care if someone calls me weird it doesn't bother me in least.[ghost_smiley] [ghost_grin]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2008, 05:55:17 AM »
My mother is perfectly fine with it, as she grew up on the show. My grandparents, on the other hand, oh, dear. XD My grandfather is pretty passive on the subject, but my grandmother has at some point become brainwashed to think that supernatural = Satanic. She's told my mother that we shouldn't watch DS, and she's made the ridiculous claim that had she known "what DS was about," she would have restricted it from being watched. She's even said negative things about The Wizard of Oz a few times. Go figure.

My uncle watched DS with my mother, and now he seems somewhat embarrassed about it for whatever reason. Probably doesn't want my cousins, who give him enough lip as is, the fodder of the fact that he watched a soap as a kid or something. Who knows?
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2008, 06:45:30 AM »
My best friend from when I was a kid got me into Freemasonry. This is the same person that would rush home with me to watch DS. We would go to each others house to watch. Anyway when you first join there's some memory work that you have to do and you are given a coach to help you learn it.  My coach's last name was Collins. When I told my best friend who my coach was he said "Please don't say anything about Dark Shadows until after you're in." I said that was cool, I wouldn't.

Well my coach's first name was Bill. So I arrive at his house the next day and as I pass his mail box I see "B. Collins" and just below his name is "Collinwood" [ghost_smiley]. I smile, go to his door and knock, and after saying "hello" I ask "why does it say Collinwood on your mail box" he laughs and starts to tell me about the show. Well, most of the time I'm out I have my cane with me, so I tell him that I have to run out to my truck to get something. I walk back into the house and his eyes get as big as plates. The last time he had seen the show was its original run, but he knew the cane as soon as he saw it. He called his wife to come into the room where we were. Turns out she's just as big as fan.

The next day I came I brought the music box and ring. They now have copies of all of the shows. When I got the DVDs they got tapes.  That was about three years and to this day they both call me Barnabas.

So while there are those that don't understand, I proudly fly my Dark Shadows freak flag.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2008, 06:54:59 AM »
That's a nice story, borgosi.

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2008, 01:21:19 AM »
My older sister used to make fun of me for watching DS when I was a little sister. In particular she used to make that face that Julia makes quite frequently where she looks slightly surprised-- her eyesbrows are up and her mouth is sort of rounded. I'm sure you would know it when you see it.
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2008, 01:34:52 AM »
My older sister used to make fun of me for watching DS when I was a little sister.

I have a Barnabas pic captioned "O RLY" that I'd really like to post now, but can't. [ghost_tongue2]
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2008, 01:42:45 AM »
Thanks for pointing that out goober, that would be a typo. I guess I meant to type little kid instead of little sister, lol... 

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2008, 02:24:51 AM »
Or perhaps you've had a sex change and it was a Freudian slip.  [ghost_wink]  We may never know...

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2008, 03:36:46 AM »
Now I have the Elvis P. record "Little Sister" going through my head, one of the very few Elvi I like.

My big sister was nuts for DS.   In adulthood at some point she got a Barnabas poem published in a DS fanzine.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2008, 05:07:57 AM »
Or perhaps you've had a sex change and it was a Freudian slip.  [ghost_wink]  We may never know...

D'oh my secret has been discovered! After all that effort to cover it up too  [ghost_sad]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2008, 05:13:08 AM »
After all that effort to cover it up too  [ghost_sad]

With your "Freudian slip"?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2008, 12:06:18 AM »
GROAN! [rofl10] [a395]

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2008, 03:29:39 AM »
Ow.  Getting comedically smacked around with a trout hurts.