Author Topic: Memorial for Dennis Patrick /  a description of the service is on page 1  (Read 3132 times)

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
a reminder to everyone that dennis patrick's memorial is this sunday, december 15 at 12:00 p.m. PST.  the information below appeared in the last shadowgram and may have been a bit overlooked with the flack over the new fest dates:

"A public memorial for DENNIS PATRICK will be held on Sun., Dec. 15, at 12:00 noon at Theatre West, 3333 Cahuenga Blvd. West, Hollywood, CA.

Dennis died tragically in a fire in his Hollywood Hills home Oct. 13. He was 84 and his career spanned almost 50 years of film, TV, and stage roles, among
them his portrayals of "Jason McGuire" and "Paul Stoddard" on DS and "Vaughn Leland" on Dallas. "

perhaps those that cannot come could light a candle or say a prayer (those of you that pray) in his memory at the same time?  it would be a lovely thought.

i'm planning on attending, is anyone else planning to go?

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Memorial for Dennis Patrick
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2002, 10:35:24 PM »
Thanks for letting us know V.W.   I think that's great how they're going to have a Memorial for Dennis. He is surely missed.  I live in New York so I won't be able to attend but I will definetely light a candle for him and say a prayer.

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2002, 12:25:39 AM »
I'm planning on going.

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2002, 03:28:56 AM »
I'm planning on going.

You'd better.  ;)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2002, 04:07:28 AM »
I'll be there too.

ProfStokes

Offline Maggie Evans

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas..you can nail me in your coffin anytime~!
    • View Profile
    • The Old House
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2002, 05:16:10 PM »
:'( Wish I could go too..but I can't..Please let us know how it went~
Happiness isnt having what you want..it's wanting what you have.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2002, 04:35:02 AM »
Posted to www.variety.com on 12/4 --

A memorial service for actor Dennis Patrick will be held from noon to 4 p.m. on Sunday Dec. 15 at Theater West, 3333 Cahuenga Blvd., L.A.  Patrick died from a fire at his Hollywood Hills home Oct. 13.

Thanks, Bette!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2002, 10:01:18 PM »
Would Dennis Patrick approve of his memorial service at Theatre West, where 10 years earlier he had performed in The Frogs, and where yesterday the food was plentiful, the champagne flowed, video tributes celebrated his professional and private life, colleagues and fans flocked to pay their respects, and his closest friends hailed his wicked wit, intelligence, professionalism and talent?  I can't imagine that he wouldn't.  It was, in a word, lovely.

I've been asked by a few who were unable to attend to walk them through it.  Theatre West seemed a perfect choice-- an intimate theater that was nearly filled with friends and admirers.  His infectious smile and those twinkling eyes graced the cover of the booklet handed out at the door.  In the small lobby, a guest book was on one side, and on the other two large photo boards boasted of his professional and personal life-- Dennis during various times in his life, alone or socializing, some of his travels, and his much-loved poodle.  An MPI box with Jason McGuire on the cover also stood nearby.  Rosemary, his companion in recent years who planned the memorial, greeted guests before they headed into the theater. Inside, there was a duet with piano and violin.  A large screen was to the left of the deep stage, and on the right was a podium adorned with a young Dennis in ancient garb, a framed black and white gorgeous photograph, and a large bronze bust on a stand.  John Karlen, KLS, and Sy Tomashoff were in attendance.  There were many other familiar faces-- character actors that we've seen numerous times over the years.  I felt fortunate to enjoy the company (and support!) of ProfStokes and victoriawinters.

The event was underway at about 12:25, with guests continuing to arrive throughout.  A friend of Dennis' officiated, and Jim Pierson took the stage to introduce a video he said he had been put together with a short deadline, but you had to marvel at the beautiful job he did.  It began as Dennis Patrick Harrison flashed in black and white while "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" played.  A marvelous interview from Dennis' Dallas days played with video clips interspersed from his long and illustrious career.  These included a space show perhaps from the 50s (?) that was amusing to watch with Dennis in a jumpsuit performing amid cheesy special effects.  We saw him as Keeno in Lost In Space when he greeted part of the Robinson family and Dr. Smith.  There was also Dennis in a Western playing opposite a gorgeous actress dressed as a saloon girl, his appearance in a legal series as he's grilled by an attorney on a tennis court, an adorable scene from The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis with Dennis coaching a pair of singing policemen, and appearances on Rockford Files and Kojak, and the films Joe and The Air Up There.  And there were 2 scenes from DS-- one as Jason in the foyer with a bruised Willie, and another with them in the Blue Whale as Jason accuses his buddy of grave robbing.  The interview was excellent as he spoke of his views on live television, Hollywood vs. New York, his roles as the villain (including an interesting comment about how villains are formulaically robbed of a decent death scene), the importance of knowing your lines, and how he saw himself as a comedian first and foremost.  He recited a hysterical limerick about Lela Swift and a part of her anatomy after jokingly asking for assurance that it wasn't going to be repeated.  Ha!

Individuals began to pay tribute-- everyone praising him as a dear friend, role model, consummate storyteller, brilliant talent.  An old friend that directed him in a Danish version of Hamlet spoke of how their working together turned into a lifelong friendship.  Another longtime friend repeated one of his stories-- a very funny joke about the Pope, a chauffeur, and the cop that pulled them over.  A friend's granddaughter (one of a large family, all of whom spoke) recited a poem she had written for him.  Several of the speakers seemed quite frail, but it didn't stop them from paying respects to their friend.  After the scheduled speakers were finished, others were invited to do the same.  At first the response was slow, but soon one person after another began to take the microphone and speak spontaneously.  Actress Betty Garrett recited her bawdy limerick that was Dennis' favorite.  Another friend, who works as a standup comedian, joked about the wisdom of letting Dennis think you agreed with him during any political discussions.  A fellow actor said the only thing Dennis couldn't master was dancing ("Dancing was his waterloo") but that didn't stop him from giving it his best shot when the role called for it.  It was mentioned often that he had missed his beloved wife, Barbara Cason, and comic actor Marvin Kaplan spoke of how he lovingly supported her career.  The unifying thread was that he was much loved, impacted many lives, and will be very missed.

The 2nd half of the video tribute was a series of photos shown as "Danny Boy" played.  We saw his life in pictures, including a photo of him as a young boy and his daughters as young girls.  It ended with the dates 1918 to 2002, and the tragedy of the loss of this wonderful man weighed heavily on everyone.  Then a representative of the theater announced that the Theatre West tradition was to end with a standing ovation.  And so we gave him a rousing sendoff that I'm sure could be heard clear in heaven.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Memorial for Dennis Patrick /  a description of the service is on page 1
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2002, 11:05:38 PM »
Thanks, Midnite. You did a beautiful (and tasteful) job recounting the memorial for Mr. Patrick.

Dom (Fighting back the tears.)

PS - I am so happy to read that JK, KLS, and ST attended.  

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2002, 11:12:50 PM »
What a lovely tribute to a wonderful man. He will be sorely missed by all his DS fans. Let us hope he is smiling down on us with a twinkle in his eye!
Thank you Midnight for telling us about it.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2002, 03:19:39 AM »
Midnite: thanks for posting such a vivid account of the memorial service; it made me feel like I was there with you.
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2002, 04:31:54 AM »
Midnite:

Thank you for posting. I really appreciate the effort you took in posting this for all of us who would have loved to have been there but for whatever reason couldn't make it.  
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline ms._hoffman

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2002, 04:49:19 AM »
Thanks for the account of the memorial service.

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2002, 06:34:46 AM »
Thank you Midnite for posting in such detail.  It sounded like a wonderful tribute.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2002, 09:00:53 AM »
thanks for being there midnite and writing up the report.  as you know, both ProfStokes and i had a full day and i didn't have time to do it.  you also remembered a lot of details that i forgot or didn't know who some of the people were.

ProfStokes and i were so glad to have you there with us too.  it was quite a moving day.