Author Topic: Favorite 1897 Moment - Poll #6  (Final poll)  (Read 1564 times)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Favorite 1897 Moment - Poll #6  (Final poll)
« on: December 09, 2002, 10:37:40 AM »
As promised, here is the final poll to determine the Dark Shadows Forums members favorite 1897 moment from Sci-Fi's previously aired episodes, from 10/23/02 -11/22/02. My original intention was to choose the top two choices from each of the five 1897 polls, but I determined that it would be more accurate to choose your top ten choices of the combined polls, for the final poll. This poll will close December 13th. All of the 1897 polls final results will be posted to the Forums December 14th.

Thanks, to all that participated.
dom

For those of us in need of a refresher course, posted below are the corresponding Robservations to each choice.
```````````````````````````````````
Barnabas meets Angelique in the tower room
Robservations 11/7/02 - #718/719 - Barnabas & Angelique in the Tower  

Carl introduces himself to Barnabas
Robservations 10/28/02 - #706/707 - A Helluva Dysfunctional Family  

Grandmamama receives Barnabas
Robservations 10/25/02 - #704/705 - Welcome to Collinwood, 1897! / Robservations 10/28/02 - #706/707 - A Helluva Dysfunctional Family  

Jenny surprises Quentin in the cottage
Robservations 11/8/02 - #720-721 - A Pissed-Off Wife Takes Revenge

Quentin and Evan conjure up Angelique
Robservations 11/1/02 - #710/711 - An Old Enemy Joins the Party

Judith rubs it in - The reading of the will
Robservations 11/5/02 - #714/715 - Judith Rubs it In; Rachel & the Tower

Edward welcomes Laura home
Robservations 11/18/02 - #730/731 - Quentin and His "Dead" Mistress

Three paupers - Edward, Quentin, and Carl
Robservations 11/5/02 - #714/715 - Judith Rubs it In; Rachel & the Tower

Meet Magda & Sandor
Robservations 10/23/02 - #700/701 - Barnabas Thumbs a Time-Trip Via I-Ching

Sandor, my big fat hero
Robservations 11/13/02 - #724/725 - Zombie Quentin and Reverend Trask

Connie

Re: Favorite 1897 Moment - Poll #6  (Final poll)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2002, 01:07:33 PM »
Dearest Dom,
This is just IMPOSSIBLE.  The other polls were bad enough - lol, but this????  I found it extremely difficult to vote in the others (but I did it).  There is so much richness in so many of these scenes and so many great moments, it's impossible to choose.  I LOVE Sandor, my big fat hero!  I ADORE the whole reading of the will - everyone is wonderful.  Don't remember if it was originally listed, but I also love the scene when Carl is sent to the Old House to fetch Sandor and they are laughing hysterically 'cause Sandor accuses him of having gypsy blood because no one in the family trusts one and other!  ROFL
There are also many Quentin scenes I love.

Anyway, it is with some reluctance, but I have to vote for Carl introduces himself to Barnabas.  Of all the scenes I have re-watched over the last few weeks, it is THAT one that fills me with wonder and I keep looking at it over and over.  Karlen is just masterful.  The expressions he evokes from Frid are priceless.  I've studied and studied it.  It's like he's toying with him.  They are both wonderful.

You may think I'm crazy, but I'm quite sure that right before he leaves the drawing room and then continues the scene in the foyer, he pats Frid on the butt (it's out of camera range, but I'm almost positive).  Y'all go back and watch the scene and see what you think.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

-CLC

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2002, 08:43:03 PM »
Well, I'm with Connie. WHAT a difficult choice to have to make! And just the pure fun and Karlen's glee with the role made me make the same choice.

Fortunately, when the DVDs get to that point, we won't be forced to make such a decision as to what we watch over and over....
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2002, 08:57:20 PM »
I wound up choosing "Meet Magda and Sandor," just because it set the tone for all that was to come, and Grayson and Thayer did such a brilliant job that day playing people so utterly different from any of their preceding roles on the series.

It's interesting to note that of these ten "favorite moments," Barnabas was only featured in 3.  It's nice to see fans acknowledging that the greatness of Dark Shadows extends above and beyond the appeal of Barnabas, wonderful though Jonathan Frid's performance has been throughout the 1897 storyline.

Gothick

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2002, 07:13:19 AM »
Well, I've got a three-way tie amongst the conjuring of Angelique, Grandmama meeting Barnabas, and Judith reading the will with Barnabas and Angelique in the tower just behind, so this was extremely difficult!!  I finally went for the conjuring of Angelique.
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2002, 09:04:51 AM »
Well, I'm with Connie. WHAT a difficult choice to have to make!

I agree!  Had to sleep on it before I could make a decision, lol.  I finally surprised myself by voting for a non-Quentin scene, but we've seen so many suspenseful buildups in this storyline so far-- who will inherit Collinwood?  who's in the tower room?  is Edward's wife coming back?  what happened to Evan Hanley's wife (okay, maybe not the last one)-- but the most memorable for me is Grandmamama receiving Barnabas and revealing that he's the secret.  I can't help but marvel over the brilliance of THAT twist!

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2002, 05:17:48 AM »
I finally surprised myself by voting for a non-Quentin scene

See if I ever ask you to go anywhere with me again. [lghy]

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2002, 08:52:50 AM »
See if I ever ask you to go anywhere with me again. [lghy]

Snort!

Oh no, my Psychos for Selby membership hasn't been revoked, has it? [woryy]

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2002, 10:06:51 AM »
Oh no, my Psychos for Selby membership hasn't been revoked, has it? [woryy]

I'm not authorized to revoke memberships; however, I may have to ban your IP address from visiting the site. I hope there's a library nearby. :o

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re:Favorite 1897 Moment - Poll #6  (Final poll)
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2003, 06:59:59 AM »
Gosh, these are really hard to choose from because I think they're all great scenes but after much thought I came up with Judith rubs it in with the reading of the will.  I loved the look of superior on Judith's face when she had that will in her hand and was calling everyone downstairs so she could her happiness (not theirs) with everyone.  The looks on her brother's faces were priceless!  The only thing that I didn't care for is the fact that they never showed her reading the whole thing from beginning to end.  I would have loved to see that one.

Deb