Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0051  (Read 1126 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0051
« on: September 12, 2011, 07:22:20 PM »

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0051
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 08:39:07 PM »
Man, Roger is certainly on a roll here. Have another drink, why don’t you?
Just for laughs I did a search of how many times the word drink appears in episodes 1 through 126. There were 274 matches.

Favorite line comes from Roger: “Perhaps Burke Devlin drowned himself in a pit of depression.”

Not to be outdone. Here’s a zinger from Liz to Roger: “If you were given free reign, the Collins Fishing Fleet and Cannery would disappear forever!”
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 09:11:59 PM »
Good zingers, but this was a very repetitious episode. Even Elizabeth doesn't seem inclined to believe the girls saw what they did.

And speaking of inclines, according to my notes, when Matthew is walking down the cliff path, flashlight in hand, it certainly doesn't appear quite so steep as it does from the top.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 02:12:39 AM »
Roger: "That's what we have Matthew for."  Really?  To identify the bodies?   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 02:39:00 AM »
The opening is a replay of the scream scene from last episode.  I think this is the first time they have done this, although it was a common serial formula in the 1960's. 
Loved the interchange with Elizabeth and Roger.  It underscores how useless he really is. 
Roger and Matthew are both acting stranger than usual.
Vickie reveals that David said he saw in his crystal ball that  Bill was dead  and that Roger had killed him. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 06:23:02 AM »
The opening is a replay of the scream scene from last episode.
Is it a replay or is it a continuation?  I think that Vicky and Carolyn have switched places from Friday's episode, but I'm not sure.

I suppose it's necessary for Vicky to scream and scream because that's what heroines do, but I keep thinking: She's not actually all that close to the body.

Vickie reveals that David said he saw in his crystal ball that  Bill was dead  and that Roger had killed him.
Yes, she seemed to take it seriously.  What she doesn't seem to take seriously, even after the bleeder valve business, is the utter awfulness of the relationship between Roger and David.

By the end of the episode, we're in an interesting position: we, the viewers, may be the only ones who know that Vicky and Carolyn did see a body and not a clump of seaweed.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 03:59:14 PM »
I love the outfit Elizabeth wears when she goes to visit Matthew (who is just about to go to bed): a cape-like coat with armholes and a scarf tied over her hair, very much ala Audrey Hepburn in Charade.

Sadly for her, Ned Calder has called back and refuses to return to Collinwood. I suppose the writers were holding him in reserve for some future return. Too bad.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 09:59:16 PM »
The opening scene looked to me to be a replay too.  It's Swann's turn again to write the week's eps.

Roger:  "Way back in time, a bride was pushed, leapt or fell from Widow's Hill."
Way to leave your options open.

Hot cocoa to induce sleepiness?  Why not skip the caffeine and go with warm milk?  Oh those wacky pre-sedative days.