Author Topic: Slowness  (Read 4126 times)

Nancy

Re: Slowness
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2002, 07:48:51 AM »

I'll go to any lengths to avoid learning HTML.  Too complicated and time consuming.

-CLC  [silly]
Mentally challenged

Believe me, Connie, if I can learn HTML anybody can. No joke!

Nancy

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re: Slowness
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2002, 09:49:15 AM »
This whole thread has given me a massive headache
and I HATE AT&T Broadband(at least the cable)

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Slownessn
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2002, 07:41:24 AM »

Verizon DSL is supposedly really bad. They ranked next to last in PC Magazine's reader's poll. (Beaten by AOL, who came in worst. No surprise there. [wink2])

I'm so glad I came into this discussion as I am going to be signing up for DSL quite soon. Right now, DirectTV sounds like the likely one, how did they rate?

If I have a new address, will I be able to keep my wondrous posting glory? I wouldn't be locked at as a newbie (GASP!), would I?

I actually want to sign up with another DSL service, but I still have to connect to them through Verizon's local hub because Verizon is my phone company.

Eww, do you think that will be a problem for me?
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Bernie

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2002, 07:47:06 AM »

Right now, DirectTV sounds like the likely one, how did they rate?
Eww, do you think that will be a problem for me?

I didn't even know that DirectTV was in the DSL business.  They're the satellite TV service people, aren't they??

Bernie

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2002, 08:10:47 AM »

I didn't even know that DirectTV was in the DSL business.  They're the satellite TV service people, aren't they??

Yes, they are, but you don't have to have one to get the other. Unfortunately, it turns out I am 4,400 feet past what they deem acceptable. It looks like Covad, who I have never even heard of.

Right now, my phone lines are so bad that with a 56k modem I only connect at 26,400. I'm assuming that won't affect the DSL. Even if I'm not the fastest DSL connection in town, it would have to be a lot better than what I have now. I think.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Bernie

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2002, 09:12:07 AM »

Unfortunately, it turns out I am 4,400 feet past what they deem acceptable.

Yeah, the same thing happened to me with Verizon.  Just a few miles too far out. Fortunately, AT&T Broadband came in soon after that with internet high speed service. Good luck, I hope you get a service provider soon.

Bernie

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2002, 07:05:15 PM »
If I have a new address, will I be able to keep my wondrous posting glory? I wouldn't be locked at as a newbie (GASP!), would I?

Getting a new address or server won't bump you from your account.  Just visit www.dsboards.com with your new setup, click Login, then enter your regular username and password to get access to post as kuanyin.

We do ask that you update your email addy on the forums when you have the chance.  Click Profile, then enter the new address and save the change.  Anytime you change your registered email address a new p/w is sent out, so I'd recommend you change it after you've finished reading and posting for that particular session in case there's a delay in receiving it because you'll find yourself locked out of your account without it.  If the new p/w doesn't arrive in your mailbox within a reasonable amount of time, please just let MB or myself know (MysteriousB@dsboards.com or Midnite@dsboards.com).

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: SlownessI
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2002, 04:04:10 AM »
I'm so glad I came into this discussion as I am going to be signing up for DSL quite soon. Right now, DirectTV sounds like the likely one, how did they rate?

Very well. But unfortunately...

I didn't even know that DirectTV was in the DSL business.

...not many people did, which is probably why they announced this past Friday (the 13th) that they're going out of business. :( Over the next 30 days they'll be transitioning their subscribers to other DSL services.