Author Topic: Slowness  (Read 4125 times)

Connie

Slowness
« on: December 04, 2002, 12:36:14 AM »
Is the forum crawling along for anybody else?  I can't get anywhere on here without waiting forever for the pages to load.  Nothing else is moving slowly, just the board.

Offline Bernie

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Slowness
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2002, 01:05:45 AM »
Is the forum crawling along for anybody else?  I can't get anywhere on here without waiting forever for the pages to load.  Nothing else is moving slowly, just the board.

I'm on Broadband, and it's very slow here too, Connie.  But at least it's up!!

Bernie

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2002, 01:13:43 AM »
Is the forum crawling along for anybody else?

Yes. :/

--Mark

Connie

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2002, 02:02:45 AM »

Yes. :/

Ah....okay then.  I'll stop jumping through hoops.
(Huh?)

;D

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2002, 04:17:20 AM »

See "Slow board last night?", currently the 10th topic down on this page. :)

I'm using a dial-up connection, and as you can see, things are just breezing along for me at the moment...

...which is nice, considering all the trouble I was having just trying to get through at all the other day (see "Forum unavailable - just curious").  I'm even doing a backup of the forum while I post this. ;)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2002, 06:44:47 AM »
I don't know if Connie, Mark, and Bernie were still experiencing the slowness at the time MB did the traceroute, but I was doing a backup at the same time they were posting about it (~ 5 hours ago) and I swear the files were zipping by at their usual pace.  (I have DSL, but shhh, don't let MB hear that. [sssh])  Anyway, whatever caused the forum to slow to a crawl for you guys wasn't the fault of the server... this time. ;)

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2002, 07:36:37 AM »
It's very intermittent here. When I just tried to enter the forum, it took a couple of minutes to get beyond the main page. But then once I started accessing new topics, it picked up to normal speed.

--M

Connie

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2002, 01:01:53 PM »
OKAY!!   That's IT!!
One more of these wacko charts from MB that I don't understand, and I'm bricking him up in the Old House basement.

Here's MB's chart refurbished: (yeah...I got your chart right HERE!!)

MB writes:

I hope he makes it to the Fest 'cause I've already ordered the bricks and mortar from the Brooklyn Marriott and they have it standing by for me.

;)  -CLC

(I'm dead)

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2002, 03:33:28 PM »
And we thought Connie wasn't tech-savvy. HA! ;)

--Mark

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2002, 06:49:51 PM »
Girl, you're a riot!  The pffffft is my favorite, hee hee.

Yep, you're dead.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2002, 08:30:21 AM »
(I have DSL, but shhh, don't let MB hear that. [sssh])

But I'm not bitter that I tried to sign up for DSL 11 months ago only to find out that there were no open ports in Verizon's local hub - or that I've been waiting for all those months for a port to become open or for Verizon to get their act together and install more ports. No, not at all. And as proof of that, the letter bomb I'd laced with Anthrax is still sitting on my table, unmailed...
(Just kidding, of course. ;))

But tell me this, Ms. Smartypants - what good has your DSL connection been during the last 8 hours that I've spent restoring the forum from the backup I'd (thankfully) made about 30 minutes before the server went haywire yesterday, hmmm? [wink2]

Offline Bernie

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2002, 08:51:06 AM »
I've never had DSL, I'm just a few miles too far out, but I'm very happy with the speed that AT@T Broadband provides.  I can download up to 1.5 MBs a second, which is way more than enough for me.  Not to say that their tech support is wonderful, and their usenet server is far from perfect, but the speed is good.  

From what I hear, Verizon does have it's share of problems too!!

Bernie

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Slownessn
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2002, 09:07:50 AM »
From what I hear, Verizon does have it's share of problems too!!

Verizon DSL is supposedly really bad. They ranked next to last in PC Magazine's reader's poll. (Beaten by AOL, who came in worst. No surprise there. [wink2])

I actually want to sign up with another DSL service, but I still have to connect to them through Verizon's local hub because Verizon is my phone company. If I'd wanted Verizon DSL, they'd probably already have the ports installed, but I suppose they could care less about installing ones for the competition. [lghy]

Offline Bernie

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2002, 09:17:56 AM »
I actually want to sign up with another DSL service, but I still have to connect to them through Verizon's local hub because Verizon is my phone company. If I'd wanted Verizon DSL, they'd probably already have the ports installed, but I suppose they could care less about installing ones for the competition. [lghy]

Yeah, people like Verizon aren't too thrilled when there not the only kid on the block! Here in Massachusetts, AT&T Broadband has recently opened their network to other companies to provide internet broadband.  We now have the option of having Earthlink as our provider.  So maybe there's still hope for freedom of access??

Bernie

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2002, 09:31:09 AM »
But I'm not bitter that I tried to sign up for DSL 11 months ago only to find out that there were no open ports in Verizon's local hub - or that I've been waiting for all those months for a port to become open or for Verizon to get their act together and install more ports. No, not at all. And as proof of that, the letter bomb I'd laced with Anthrax is still sitting on my table, unmailed...

See my comment on Current Talk.

But tell me this, Ms. Smartypants - what good has your DSL connection been during the last 8 hours that I've spent restoring the forum from the backup I'd (thankfully) made about 30 minutes before the server went haywire yesterday, hmmm? [wink2]

I backed up on Wednesday, but how was I supposed to know the server would go bonkers the following morning?  I said I had DSL, not ESP.

[lghy]