Author Topic: PETITION - Fest dates & location  (Read 7064 times)

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
Re: PETITION - Fest dates & location
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2002, 07:42:05 AM »

That's certainly true.  The reason the fests have been either in the LA area or NY is because the actors live on either (or reside on) both coasts.  THe locale could certainly be somewhere else and the actors would all have to be flown in but the answer to that is to just raise the admission price to cover those costs.  No reason that could not work.

Nancy

Example being the 1998 Las Vegas Festival. There was a very good turnout of the DS Celebs.

While I totally LOVE NYC, if it meant more people being able to attend, I would support relocating the Festival to a different State/City so that we could find a date that would accommodate the majority.:)  Bob
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2002, 06:38:02 PM »

NY is great, I'll admit, but it's not the only place on the east coast.

MrsJ.

Heavens, no!  Why no one seems to pick Boston for fancons is a complete mystery to me, although I have a hunch that it may have something to do with cost, especially as it relates to hotels.  But how can Boston be more expensive than New York?  As for facilities, there is the Hines Convention Center, Bayside Expo Center, and Fleet Center (which is a mess, but probably doable).  As for things to see and places to go, there is plenty here for everyone.  There must be some weird reason why Boston is never chosen.  Anyone here know why?  Might it be that Boston hotels cannot accommodate conventions as well as LA or New York?  [hdscrt]

Salem would also be an interesting place, but I doubt it has the facilities for a fancon.  And what about Providence?  
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Nancy

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2002, 08:30:31 PM »

Heavens, no!  Why no one seems to pick Boston for fancons is a complete mystery to me, although I have a hunch that it may have something to do with cost, especially as it relates to hotels.  But how can Boston be more expensive than New York?  As for facilities, there is the Hines Convention Center, Bayside Expo Center, and Fleet Center (which is a mess, but probably doable).  As for things to see and places to go, there is plenty here for everyone.  There must be some weird reason why Boston is never chosen.  Anyone here know why?  Might it be that Boston hotels cannot accommodate conventions as well as LA or New York?  [hdscrt]

Salem would also be an interesting place, but I doubt it has the facilities for a fancon.  And what about Providence?  

Believe it or not, I think it's harder to get a room in Boston.  The occupancy rate there is very high and finding available rooms for a convention is the key complaint I've ever from others.  By that I mean rooms for attendees to stay in.  I was there not that long ago and the hotel tax is only slightly less than New York hotel taxes.  I did not find Boston to be particularly inexpensive as compared to New York.  They tax car rentals and spread other little taxes on entertainment items.  

I visited Salem one Halloween and it was great.:)  Now there is a place to have a festival!!

Nancy

Offline Bernie

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2002, 09:48:16 AM »

There must be some weird reason why Boston is never chosen.  Anyone here know why?  Might it be that Boston hotels cannot accommodate conventions as well as LA or New York? 

Well, we're getting the Democratic National Convention during the next presidential election, so I think it's doable.  We've gotten lots of other big time conventions too.  I think that Hines would be great for a fest!  Hotels are expensive, but like you say, not quite as bad as NYC.  I've always heard that NY and LA are chosen for the convenience of the DS personalities.  Don't know if that's truly the case, though.

Bernie

Nancy

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2002, 04:05:21 PM »
Hi Bernie!

The choice of the NYC/LA convention site might be convenient for the DS actors who attend but it's also an economic decision.  The actors live in either NYC or LA, and when the fest is held on the one coast, the festival has to fly in only the actors on the other coast.  If the festival were elsewhere, all of the actors attending the fest would have to be flown in.  

However, I suppose the festival could be elsewhere and the admission could just be raised to cover the increased cost of having to fly all the actors in.  

Nancy

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2002, 09:36:32 PM »
Thanks for starting this Midnite and I hope it's not too late to add my 2 cents worth.

As for me, I would be much happier if the festival were to occur sometime earlier during the summer.  After attending the festival for the first time in NYC in 2001, I decided that the next time I was definitely going to plan to stay a few days before and/or after in order to see more of the city.  Unfortunately, Labor Day weekend would not be a good time for me to try and get more time off to do this.  I work for a school corporation and, since school is just getting started at that time of year, it is difficult to get additional vacation time off around this holiday.  

As to the location - I've never been to Brooklyn and have nothing against it.  Still, after attending the 2001 fest, I was very much looking forward to returning to Manhattan and was really hoping the 2003 festival would be at the Marriott Marquis.  

Would love to see a change of plans if possible - please add my name and info to the list.

CastleBee
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2002, 10:33:26 PM »

Well, we're getting the Democratic National Convention during the next presidential election, so I think it's doable.  
Bernie

Yes, that is one very big reason I'm surprised about this.  From the comments posted here, I now have a feeling that the problem relates more the hotel accomodations for guests than convention venues.

And as for the star living in either LA or NY, Boston is hardly THAT far away from New York, nor that expensive to travel to from NY!  Wonder which of the stars live in NY?  Some of you would probably know this by heart.  :)
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Bernie

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2002, 01:48:49 AM »
Hi Bernie!

However, I suppose the festival could be elsewhere and the admission could just be raised to cover the increased cost of having to fly all the actors in.  

Nancy

Hello Nancy!!

Tom Menino, the Mayor of Boston has just announced his plan to tack on a sports and entertainment fee for tickets to certain events.  Not that it would affect the cost very much, but it does show why many of us call our state **Taxachusetts**, LOL!!

Bernie

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2002, 03:54:53 AM »
I was just ready to make reservations for Brooklyn when I received an email from a friend who is attending the fest with me to not do it do to this attempt to get the dates changed.  Frankly, I hadn't even thought about the problem of school commitments for others as my children are adults and on their own now.  I do sympathize with the parents.

I was disappointed that the hotel wouldn't be in Manhattan but Brooklyn is doable for me in any event.  

I'm considering traveling by Amtrak to NYC (I live in Chicago) and have begun to research dates and times and find that a regular Coach fare is $178 round trip to NYC.  However, if I want to upgrade my accommodations to Roomette, the cost would be about $400 additional!

I can't honestly say that the change in dates really affects me other than I'd like to try and reserve my room as soon as possible especially since I just learned from these posts that the there is a shortage of rooms in Brooklyn.  

Perhaps Midnite and give an idea of when a final decision for dates might be so that we can reserve our rooms???
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2002, 04:05:28 AM »

Hello Nancy!!

Tom Menino, the Mayor of Boston has just announced his plan to tack on a sports and entertainment fee for tickets to certain events.  Not that it would affect the cost very much, but it does show why many of us call our state **Taxachusetts**, LOL!!

Bernie

so far Bernie this is just a plan isn't it???
i have no problem going to NY but the W/E may be bad for me!
nancy who plans the fests and where they are going to be held?
jennifer
How about Maine LOL!
as for the DNC Yippee! can't wait!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2002, 04:16:33 AM »
Hey gang,

Another possibility for a Fest location is Philadelphia.  It's close enough to NYC for the East Coast stars to take the train, and Philadelphia Int'l Airport receives many direct flights from L.A.  And I suspect that hotels in Philly are cheaper than those in Boston, NYC, and D.C.

The new Convention Center is adjacent to convention-friendly hotels, and that complex is just blocks away from the historic attractions as well as Chinatown, with all its wonderful restaurants.

Plus, Philadelphia is the birthplace of DENNIS PATRICK and THE DIVINE GRAYSON HALL!

Regards,

John

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2002, 04:19:35 AM »
Perhaps Midnite and give an idea of when a final decision for dates might be so that we can reserve our rooms???

Miss_Winthrop, make your reservation!

The Fest has been moved to Labor Day weekend.  This petition is to let TPTB (the powers that be) know how the group of fans signing it feel about the change.

And to answer CastleBee, yes!, the petition is still circulating and fans are still invited to sign.

Offline Bernie

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2002, 04:55:50 AM »

so far Bernie this is just a plan isn't it???

Hey Jennifer!!  I forgot that you go to school in Beantown.  Yeah it's just a plan at present.  I imagine it has to be ratified by the Boston City Council, but Menino has a good track record in getting his way with them.  

Money wise, it probably amounts to 50 cents more per ticket, and I'm not even sure that fest tickets would apply.  But you know these guys, they never met a tax or fee they didn't like!

Bernie

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2002, 07:57:19 AM »
I know I'm coming into this late.
I won't be able to attend no matter the date.
I know the answer to why the fest is always
on one coast or the other, but I still think
it would be a great thing to have at least
one fest in the mid-west. Chicago or
Indianapolis would be my top choices.
Julianka

Offline Bernie

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2002, 08:14:27 AM »
I know the answer to why the fest is always
on one coast or the other, but I still think
it would be a great thing to have at least
one fest in the mid-west. Chicago or
Indianapolis would be my top choices.
Julianka

I think that would be great!!  Kansas City or St Louis might be good picks too, wouldn't they.  It's kind of a shame that it's always on one of the coasts.  I've never been to the mid-west, but would love to visit someday.  So many interesting things to do, and very nice people too, I'm told.

Bernie