Author Topic: PETITION - Fest dates & location  (Read 7065 times)

Offline sheenasma

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
Re: PETITION - Fest dates & location
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2002, 01:51:36 AM »
Toss me on there.  Labor day weekend is going to be a major hassle.  While the getting there would not be impossible for me, as it would for some who have to fly, that weekend is close to impossible for me to take off.  Management, hospitality, Southern Maine.  Does not add up to ideal leave taking.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2002, 03:05:30 AM »
Put my name on the list.  Labor Day weekend is a no for me.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2002, 04:20:47 AM »
Being the curious person that I am, I checked airfare for the festival. Arriving on Thursday and leaving On Tuesday. The fare Delta has at this time is actually $75 cheaper than what I paid to fly to the last festival in NYC and $45 less than what I paid to fly to Tarrytown in October. So if airfare is your only concern than don't despair too much, maybe some of you can find similiar fares from your city. The fare listed from my city is $211.
Having those extra days will give me time to visit the city as long as I get the courage up to venture out on my own. I am not sure I would pay it to come in Friday and leave on Monday though.
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2002, 06:05:48 AM »
I am not sure I would pay it to come in Friday and leave on Monday though.

Coming in on Friday and leaving on Sunday, which is what I would have to do, scores me a whopping $410 RT fare, hence my disgust with the situation.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline John_in_NC

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2002, 07:04:18 AM »
Midnite, please add my name to the petition and feel free to use my name, email address, etc...  I have no idea who or what they are trying to accomodate with the changed dates but I feel it is going to make a major difference in attendance!  It is definitely going to inconvenience many parents of school children and people who are in school as well.  Also, I don't care for the new location either.  I would rather pay the extra cost to be in Manhattan.  I think the Marriott Financial Center would have been a much better location.  
John in SC

Offline Raholt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2002, 08:54:50 AM »
Now I have never attended a DS Fest but I have often wondered something.  Most conventions and Fests try to lock down a specific time each year to have the event, such as the last weekend of certain month.  That way everyone involved knows that the event will happen every year at the same time.  The dates may be different depending on the calendar but it on the same weekend each year.  The DS fest doesn't seem to do this.  What I have wondered is why is it in June some years and August others?  Why don't they lock in on specific time.  Then guests would know that it was going to happen at a certain time, fans would know the same each year.  It would make planning for them and even hotel and other plans easier to do and they could be done well in advance to avoid something like this years Labor Day fest.    

On the topic of a fest on Labor Day, bad idea for many reasons.  The traffic and travel situation nationwide.  As I read in other messages, school starting either right before or right after that date.  Add to it that there are alot of other things people do that weekend.  It is the unofficial last weekend of summer and people usually make the most of it.  I have a feeling this fest will find itself with less than normal attendence due to the time picked.  It is usually not a good time to hold events like this on holiday weekends because it conflicts with people's personal plans.

Richard Holt

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2002, 09:21:12 AM »
Hey everybody!

To be honest, I don't have a problem with the location or the dates for the 2003 Fest.  As I recall, Manhattan tends to empty out on summer weekends.  Since Labor Day weekend is viewed as "Last Chance To Hit The Beach" weekend, it could mean fewer crowds in the museums and other cultural attractions.

Of course, if it were up to me, I would have the Fest during an October weekend, just like the good old days of the Hilton Gateway in Newark.

Also, it might be fun to choose different locations for the Fest.  Washington D.C., with its many historical and cultural attractions, would make an excellent location.  Another interesting choice would be Salem, Massachusetts!

Regards,

John

Connie

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2002, 11:37:46 AM »
I was wondering approximately how many people attend the fests each year?  Is it over 1000?
Maybe it doesn't matter since it looks like a lot of people won't be going, but the Brooklyn Marriott only has 376 rooms (!).  The WTC Marriott had over 800 rooms.  Just thought I'd mention it 'cause if you are planning to go, I'd reserve a room now.  LOL

I really don't understand all this since I'm not aware of all the factors involved in planning these events, but I would think if you're going to schedule a Fest on Labor Day weekend (oy vey), you'd at least try to make it as painless as possible financially and convenience/travel-wise.

Example:  The Newark Airport Marriott has nearly 600 rooms, is right on the airport premises for people flying in, and is $50 cheaper per night than the Brooklyn Marriott.  For those who just HAVE to get into Manhattan and hang out, see a show, whatever, I don't think the train ride is very long.  Don't remember -- maybe 15 or 20 minutes?  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, maybe it's just me, but I'd steer clear of the Brooklyn/Long Island/Kennedy Airport area on a Labor Day weekend.  You're already taking your life into your hands on the Belt Parkway on a regular weekday!

;D

-CLC

Nancy

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2002, 05:09:49 PM »
I was wondering approximately how many people attend the fests each year?  Is it over 1000?
Maybe it doesn't matter since it looks like a lot of people won't be going, but the Brooklyn Marriott only has 376 rooms (!).  The WTC Marriott had over 800 rooms.  Just thought I'd mention it 'cause if you are planning to go, I'd reserve a room now.  LOL

The festival attendance has been in the thousands at times and since so many people live in the NYC area just come for the days during that weekend (they don't pay money to stay overnight) the problem has sometimes been curtailing the amount of people who attend on any given day.  The last New York Festival was "sold out" on Saturday because the hotel told them they could only have so many people in the ballrooms, etc.   I saw that the Brooklyn Marriott has a parking capacity for 1,100 vehicles and there are eating facilities in and around the hotel.  The Newark Marriott, IIRC, doesn't have very much in the way of eating facilities (or at least it didn't used to).  When the festival was in Newark, people complained about that and rightfully so. Not everyone can afford room service for each meal.;)

I really don't understand all this since I'm not aware of all the factors involved in planning these events, but I would think if you're going to schedule a Fest on Labor Day weekend (oy vey), you'd at least try to make it as painless as possible financially and convenience/travel-wise.

I've flown on Labor Day weekend many times (and flown many times since 9/11) and I don't see the big travel headaches people are talking about. For one thing, especially since 9/11, more people tend to drive.  Now, I can see the driving issue but during the summer, you have beach traffic anyway.  If you come into New York on Friday night, it is without fail a nightmare to drive in.  During the summer, people are leaving to go to the Hamptons, the Jersey shore,etc.  I should also note that city dwellers leave the city on the big holiday weekends and others come in to visit.  Several fan conventions that have way many more attendees than the festival deliberately schedule their events every Labor Day weekend so obviously there are a great many people who do not find the holiday weekend a great problem.  However, I would rather the festival be during the summer and not on that particular holiday weekend.  

I must say that for all the discussion there has been here in the past about what happened at the World Trade Center on 9/11, there has not been a whole lot of understanding about what the DS Festival had to go through to relocate the event in the first place.  Let's forget about the date issue for a moment.  I would like to see how well others who complain about the location of Brooklyn would have done in the festival's shoes.  All those who scheduled events in the Vista for 2003 had to go elsewhere in New York and reschedule their events.  Bear in mind that hotel space in New York City generally books up a year in advance.  That means there were a significant amount of other people out there looking for hotel space and facilities besides the Dark Shadows Festivals.   There is only so much space in the New York City area, as vast as it might seem to be. The impression I get is that fans seem to think all the hotels in NYC area were jumping up and down saying "Pick me! Pick me!" and for some crazy reason the festival decided to pick a location that was inconvenient just to annoy and upset people.

I do agree with Connie about steering clear of the Belt Parkway on Labor Day weekend or any day during the summer months for that matter.  There are other ways to get to the Brooklyn Marriott without having to take the Belt Parkway.  If you come into New York City through one of the tunnels or the George Washington Bridge, you can loop around and take the Brooklyn Bridge across.  You'll avoid a lot of traffic that way.

Nancy

Nancy

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2002, 05:19:02 PM »
Now I have never attended a DS Fest but I have often wondered something.  Most conventions and Fests try to lock down a specific time each year to have the event, such as the last weekend of certain month.  That way everyone involved knows that the event will happen every year at the same time.  The dates may be different depending on the calendar but it on the same weekend each year.  The DS fest doesn't seem to do this.  What I have wondered is why is it in June some years and August others?  Why don't they lock in on specific time.  Then guests would know that it was going to happen at a certain time, fans would know the same each year.  It would make planning for them and even hotel and other plans easier to do and they could be done well in advance to avoid something like this years Labor Day fest.

Richard, I never heard of school (except for college) starting before Labor Day until this situation arose so that was a surprise to me.  The schools in the areas I've lived start after Labor Day.  But I've since learned that is indeed not the case everywhere.

As for travelling on Labor Day, again, I think the driving aspect is the issue. The scheduled trip on Labor Day is something I would not choose to drive because of traffic.   I do not think the attendance for the festival will be affected by the choice of dates though.  If the festival is affected at all by people electing to not fly in, it will be because there are people who are still afraid to fly because of 9/11 and of all places might not want to choose to fly into NYC.

But, time will tell how well the fest does.  I am anxious to see the guest line-up to see if there is indeed a surprise, first time guest. That might explain the change of dates if it's a biggie.;)

Nancy

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2002, 09:40:32 PM »
It gets confusing when you quote a post and write up a reply to it, but by the time you're ready to post it you find that the original post that you've quoted has undergone a drastic change.  So as a reminder, there's a Preview feature available to all members that allows a message to be edited before anyone else can read or quote it.

Anyway, I wanted to make the point that calling this is a petition has perhaps been unsettling to some.  A petition usually comes with a request or demand, but as anyone can see by the wording, this one does neither.  It's up the signers, if you will, to state what, if anything, they'd like to see happen, but I haven't noticed a single radical or controversial suggestion either here or in my mailbox.  This petition is merely a vehicle for fans to be heard by the PTB regarding certain decisions made about a fan event, and what they get in return for their effort is a guarantee that their comments will reach Jim Pierson as well as the Festival address.  Names and comments continue to be collected and will be mailed as planned.

The impression I get is that fans seem to think all the hotels in NYC area were jumping up and down saying "Pick me! Pick me!" and for some crazy reason the festival decided to pick a location that was inconvenient just to annoy and upset people.

Nancy, I hope I never gave that impression.

The Festival email address was posted here recently, and I promised Pansy Faye that I would repeat it:  <pansyfaye@darkshadowsfestival.com>.  She noted the petition on another posting board and asked me to pass along that she is willing to listen to any and all comments emailed to her regarding the Festivals.

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2002, 10:24:08 PM »
please include me in the petition.  i was originally looking forward to attending next year's fest in new york and spending some time touring the city.  however, my husband is a teacher and is unavailable to attend this year or any other year over the labor day week-end.  my step-son is also in college and from time to time we move him to santa cruz over this holiday week-end.

also, handling the more extensive crowds at LAX is not my cup of tea.  i realize that some have not had travel delays but that was my experience.

since i've never been to brooklyn or anywhere else in the city, this is not a factor for me.  wherever my dark shadows friends are that is where i want to be.

i wish there was a way to change the dates but that may not come to pass.  in this case, i have to say i can't come.  this would have been my second fest and i was really looking forward to it.  

it also upsets me to some degree that the festival committee is not open to the fans' needs.  while i realize the stars are important, it is a combination of both stars and fans that make a fest.  we can't have a fest without both elements being present.

i just hope that next time, the fans will have a voice in the planning of the events and that perhaps a poll can be taken on the festival web page as to best places and times to come.  it would also be nice to see some variation in the fest program instead of the same thing year after year.

i'll look forward to meeting everyone in california 2004.  

Nancy

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2002, 11:36:25 PM »
It gets confusing when you quote a post and write up a reply to it, but by the time you're ready to post it you find that the original post that you've quoted has undergone a drastic change.  So as a reminder, there's a Preview feature available to all members that allows a message to be edited before anyone else can read or quote it.

Heh heh, she means me folks.[lghy]

Anyway, Midnite - I think the petition is terrific and for the reasons you cited.   You never know what the results might be, and at least something constructive was done to voice the upset.  I'm a proactive person, in case you didn't know that about me, and if I don't like something, I say something even if I don't think it will change anything. Sometimes I get surprised and it does.  

Nancy, I hope I never gave that impression.

Well, I'd tell you if you did but the impression is an overall tone rather than any one thing a single person said.  

I think my irritation over criticism of the festival's "choice" of Brooklyn is borne out of the fact that I have planned or helped coordinate events in New York City that involved the use of hotel facilities and booking blocks of rooms for expected attendees.  Even on a good day, it can be hard to find a hotel that has the right facilities and room rates are something attendees can or will pay.  

Imagine what it was like to have the hotel you booked for an event be destroyed in a terrorist attack forcing you to relocate.  And not just you but everyone else who also had booked facilities and rooms in that same hotel is now competing with you to find a suitable hotel as close to your original criteria as possible.  Not only that, but I know for a fact many people who had booked events in neighboring hotels in lower Manhattan elected to cancel out and move uptown because they did not know how long it would take to clean up the WTC rubble.  They also did not want to play wait and see since hotel facilities book up quickly as it is.  Also, some of the hesitation to attend functions in lower Manhattan last year had less to do with the fear of terrorist attacks than the horrible, lingering odor that lasted for months.  

So this is what the festival had to contend with in relocating the convention.  I don't believe they deserve ridicule for the relocation issue given the circumstances.  The lack of understanding in this regard truly surprises me.  I doubt the goal was to find a hotel for the convention that would irritate the crap out of the fans. The irony is that the festival "Committee" and chairman have to go through the same thing as everyone else to get to the festival that weekend. And one of them is a schoolteacher!

Nancy

Offline MrsJ

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2002, 03:36:13 AM »

Richard, I never heard of school (except for college) starting before Labor Day until this situation arose so that was a surprise to me.  The schools in the areas I've lived start after Labor Day.

Well, not to nit pick...but the schools in our area always start at the end of August.  It wasn't that way when I was in school, but it seems to be the trend now.  Many schools in the south start even earlier, usually mid August.  

I guess it is just surprising to me that the fest would be scheduled on such a hectic weekend...I imagine many of the cast might have other commitments as well.  Perhaps the the organizers weren't given much choice, but it would seem that some other arrangement could be worked out.  Perhaps it's time to find another locale...NY is great, I'll admit, but it's not the only place on the east coast.

MrsJ.

Nancy

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2002, 06:27:39 AM »

I guess it is just surprising to me that the fest would be scheduled on such a hectic weekend...I imagine many of the cast might have other commitments as well.  Perhaps the the organizers weren't given much choice, but it would seem that some other arrangement could be worked out.  Perhaps it's time to find another locale...NY is great, I'll admit, but it's not the only place on the east coast.

That's certainly true.  The reason the fests have been either in the LA area or NY is because the actors live on either (or reside on) both coasts.  THe locale could certainly be somewhere else and the actors would all have to be flown in but the answer to that is to just raise the admission price to cover those costs.  No reason that could not work.

Nancy