Author Topic: Joan Bennett and Hedda Hopper  (Read 1702 times)

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
Joan Bennett and Hedda Hopper
« on: November 28, 2002, 12:29:10 AM »
I was watching Mysteries & Scandals on the E! Network. The episode was on Hedda Hooper. They mentioned Joan during it. Apparently, Hedda said something about Joan's husband that Joan did not like. So on Valentines Day 1950, she sent a giftwrapped deoderized skunk to Hedda! She attached a note to it that said "Won't you be my Valentine? No one else will. I stink, and so do you! Love, Joan"

I was surprised to hear this on there, LOL, and I found it quite hillarious.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Joan Bennett and Hedda Hopper
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2002, 01:49:04 AM »
Hedda had the last laugh. She named the skunk "Joan" ;)
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2002, 03:01:32 AM »
Wowee, did ladies know how to catfight then, OR WHAT?! That is hilarious, thanks for sharing it....
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2002, 04:29:25 PM »
That was the era when most Hollywood women had enough class and style to be honest and open, and if there were any antagonisms, they made no bones about it.  They weren't afraid of being dames.  The ultimate and classic duel, of course, was between Bette Davis and Joan Crawford.  And yet, those two dames were sharp enough to know that if they worked together, playing mortal enemies on the screen as they were in real life, they'd clean up.  Hence, "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?"  And leave it to Bette to be brutally honest, describing both of them as "two old broads".  Natch, Joan didn't particularily care for that characterization.  Today, when stars and starletts say one thing about another, even in a joking manner, everyone gets all weepy and offended, and mock apologies flow.  What a buncha wimps.  Not like in those glory days.  

Gerard

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2002, 07:47:16 PM »
you are so right The glamour is all gone too! i'd rather sit around watching those "grand old dames" then most
of those that are stars today!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline ms._hoffman

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2002, 03:17:16 AM »
I remember the incident mentioned from when it was broadcast some time ago.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 09:02:39 AM »
you are so right The glamour is all gone too! i'd rather sit around watching those "grand old dames" then most
of those that are stars today!

AMEN! I still think there are a VERY few glamorous dames in Hollywood who speak their mind.  Not anything like the old days though.  One of my favorite Joan stories is her writing "TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE STAR WHAT A HORESES ASS YOU ARE" on a note or something used during the taping DS.  Dennis Patrick had to keep a straight face while supposedly reading some serious note!  She had a great sense of humor!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 09:26:35 AM »
Here's me killjoying again.  Over the course of my lifetime, human beings have become more and more fake and detached, and Hollywood leads the way for that.  Now no one wants to get mad in public (perhaps often not in private either) because they're telling themselves they're above that.   People act "serene" so that people believe they are, thus "proving" it's true.   Then they stew inside bottling it up and it waits for an exit to explode out of.

I sound as if I'm psychoanalyzing the world sometimes, I know.  Sorry.

I like these stories.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor