Author Topic: VINTAGE VIEW-MASTER REELS *DARK SHADOWS* 1968  (Read 958 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: VINTAGE VIEW-MASTER REELS *DARK SHADOWS* 1968
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 08:21:45 PM »
I loved the painting on the cover of the booklet "in sombre colors."

This was one of the few mementos that I was able to save after my Mom threw away most of my DS stuff when I left home for college in the mid 1970s.  However, I wasn't quick enough on my feet in the late 1980s to save the packet from her yard sale when she was cleaning out the house and getting ready to sell it.

I loved the 3-D effect of the famous shot of Nicholas and Julia when she informs him his plan is "monstrous" and he chuckles and says:  "It is meant to be!"  She wore one of those heavy brooches in that scene and the 3-D made it look so trippy.

G.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 09:18:33 PM »
The description on the back is epic.  I have never read DS described in such a wholesome fashion!   [ghost_tongue2]

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 02:35:56 PM »
When DS originally aired, I was very young (under five) and terrified of the show.  However, when my Mom and I were in the toy department at JC Penney's and she said that I could pick out a set of View-Master reels, I immediately decided upon the DS set, which quickly became my favorite.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 04:13:57 PM »
You showed exceptional taste at such a young age, Claude.  [ghost_wink]

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 04:45:28 PM »
I wasn't allowed to watch DS because I was only 6 in 1969.  I did steal glimpses of it though. My cousin scared the hell out of me when he drove us by Seaview Terrace. He told me Barnabas really lived there. I didn't quite believe him because we drove by the front which was not as familiar to me.  He evidently did not want to brave trying to drive behind the house on that dirt road. The hedges were probably too high then to see it any way, come to think of it.

I didn't get to really watch it until it ran out of Boston. It was fringe reception but watchable.

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 08:29:47 PM »
That seems awful cheap for those is such good condition. It'll be interesting to see how much they go for. Back in the 90's during the resurgence of DS I remember seeing them at a "thrift" shop for 50 bucks.

I inherited a huge lot of VM reels from my uncle when I was younger... I just love those stereo pictures!! Unfortunately there were no DS reels in that collection. Mostly it was sight-seeing vacation reels. Mount Vernon, D.C. etc. In the 60's I guess people would buy postcards and VM reels in the gift shops to remember the trip by. I had the projector too! (but of course shining it on the wall the 3-D effect was lost.)
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."