Author Topic: I wonder ....  (Read 1295 times)

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I wonder ....
« on: November 25, 2002, 02:32:07 AM »
which sibling set has the greatest age difference: Barney and Sarah or the 1897 family? Who IS older, Judith or Edward? I'm guessing Barney - Sarah have Edward/Judith - Carl beat, but, no wonder we don't see their mama around! Having that brood would do you in!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: I wonder ....
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2002, 02:46:58 AM »
which sibling set has the greatest age difference: Barney and Sarah or the 1897 family? Who IS older, Judith or Edward? I'm guessing Barney - Sarah have Edward/Judith - Carl beat, but, no wonder we don't see their mama around! Having that brood would do you in!

I would vote for the age difference between Barnabas and Sarah.

As for Judith and Edward, I'm not quite sure. I've always gone with Edward as eldest. Whether or not that's how it was supposed to be, I dunno.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2002, 08:59:37 AM »

Without a doubt,  Barnabas and Sarah... I think Sarah was more or less a surprise for her parents, she being a child of their dotage.

I would also say, Edward is the eldest after all Grandmama said he was and she would not tell tales would she? Judith second, Quentin third while Carl is the end of the line! lol..

The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2002, 02:15:41 PM »
the age differences always did seem peculiar..Barnabas to me looked older than his cousin.errrrr...uncle Jeremiah from the 1795 storyline...and the Barnabas-Sarah siblings did seem to be a stretch. ok..think when we see Josettes grave it shows her to be about 21 when she died...so, do we assume that Barnabas was maybe 25-30?. But when we see his first appearence in 1967 after his long rest, (still wouldnt have wanted to be the first to open that coffin , shewwwww), it seems that he was close to the age of Roger, maybe early 40s? even Tony Peterson commented about  Carolyn being in "that old mans arms"...I guess being confined to a coffin for 172 years ages you maybe 17 years . I see, 10 confinement years =1 aging year......as for 1897, its a bit more believeable about the 4 siblings, although quite a difference from the 2 oldest and youngest . They did a pretty good job though on Jerry Lacy and aging him, really didnt think twice about him and Minerva being married, or of another one he wants to get to know better.....
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2002, 04:21:30 PM »
I always figured Barnabas to be on the far side of his thirties.  Sarah was ten.  It seemed like a stretch, but by crunching the numbers the math can work.  It's quite possible that Naomi was around 15 or so when she and Joshua tied the knot.  That was common back then.  And then, many years later, along came Sarah.  Perhaps Naomi was very fanatical about taking her vitamins.

As for who was older, Edward or Judith, my vote goes with Judith, by a coupla years.  Edward was always referred to as the oldest SON, not necessarily the oldest CHILD.  That's the way it was back then, too.  In the sexist Victorian society, the boys usually got the main course, the girls ending up with the leftovers.  It still works that way in determining the line of heirs to the British throne.  The oldest sons get first grabs, even if they have older sisters.  Elizabeth is Queen only because her parents had no boys.

Gerard

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2002, 12:41:04 AM »
i always thought that Barnabas was 30 and sarah was 10 and the reason for the large gap was this was the amout of times Namoi and Joshua were "together"hehe
also thought Edward, Judith, Carl and Quentin
which didn't seem strange as my grandmother had two sons after a 15 year gap. also do we know there wasn't two mothers here?

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2002, 01:36:13 AM »
also thought Edward, Judith, Carl and Quentin
which didn't seem strange as my grandmother had two sons after a 15 year gap. also do we know there wasn't two mothers here?

IIRC, there isn't any information actually given about the parents of the four 1897 siblings.  I've always thought that maybe they had different mothers, given their very different temperaments and the wide age gap.
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2002, 12:00:14 PM »
Gerard Wrote:
'As for who was older, Edward or Judith, my vote goes with Judith, by a coupla years.  Edward was always referred to as the oldest SON, not necessarily the oldest CHILD.  

That's pretty much the way I figure too Gerard.  I've always just assumed that Judith was the oldest out of the four siblings but Edward was the oldest Male.  We know that in the present time Liz is older than Roger so somehow this seems to fit the same way for me with Judith & Edward.

There seems to be alot of long "gaps" between siblings on this show.  Look how much older Chris & Tom Jennings were than Amy?  Then there's Millicent & her little brother Daniel.  The best though by far is defenitely Barnabas & Sarah and it makes you wonder what went on between Naomi & Joshua during those in between years.  Maybe Joshua decided to join Naomi and had one too many one night because it's just so hard to even imagine these two together at all.

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2002, 03:51:37 AM »
    I read a fanfic that had Barnabas as Sarah's father.  If the show had stayed true to being a traditional soap, it would have been an interesting plot angle.  I think it would have been even better if Sarah was Joshua's child but not Naomi's.  Joshua's mid-life crisis fling with a younger woman.  It's easier to imagine an old goat creating a child late in life.  Naomi appeared far too old to get pregnant.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2002, 04:13:22 AM »
Naomi appeared far too old to get pregnant.

Naomi looks like she's in her mid-50's and Sarah died when she was 10 so Naomi would have had her in her mid forties. Not too much of a stretch. I'd say the greater unlikelihood was Naomi and Joshua having "marital relations" at that age, but apparently Joshua's contempt for love and romance didn't preclude  the physical act.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2002, 08:55:10 AM »
    I read a fanfic that had Barnabas as Sarah's father.  If the show had stayed true to being a traditional soap, it would have been an interesting plot angle.  I think it would have been even better if Sarah was Joshua's child but not Naomi's.  Joshua's mid-life crisis fling with a younger woman.  It's easier to imagine an old goat creating a child late in life.  Naomi appeared far too old to get pregnant.

didn't Jack N find out his sister was really his mother?
happened a lot in the past!

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV