Author Topic: DS LABYRINTH Ch. 20: Grand Finale  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
DS LABYRINTH Ch. 20: Grand Finale
« on: November 24, 2002, 08:40:07 AM »
Well, here it is... the final chapter of DARK SHADOWS: THE LABYRINTH OF SOULS.

I'm grateful to all who have read and commented on these chapters. Since this is not a professionally commissioned writing project, there are basically two things that have made the time I've spent on it worthwhile:

1) The satisfaction that a select number of DS fans have had the opportunity to read and hopefully enjoy it. I'd certainly appreciate hearing from anyone who wants to share his or her opinion on the piece as a whole--and if you're not comfortable posting remarks here, feel free to write me privately. If there are aspects that you think ought to have been done better or differently, I'd like to know that too.

2) In a way, this novel has been an excellent exercise for my own professional skills; it's all been one draft, with no outside editorial input (apart from a couple of dedicated readers who have been kind enough to offer their proofreading expertise and caught numerous typographic blunders), and in the case of many chapters, written in record speed to clear the schedule for other, paying projects. The experience I've put myself through here will pay off in dividends for other projects.

Some of the comments that have meant most to me were about my treatment of the characters. Well, I tell you; this is as much a credit to the stars and creators of the original characters, especially the former, for having made them living, breathing people, making it easy to get a handle on who they are and how (to my mind) they would think, speak, and handle themselves.

It would be great to have the opportunity to write another fully commissioned and licensed DARK SHADOWS novel. But if it never happens, I can at least say that I had fun doing one as contract work; and another one that I worked hard on just to have fun.

NEW! Chapter 20
http://home.triad.rr.com/smrainey/labyrinth20.htm

I've now set up a main page from which you can easily access any chapter you wish:

Main Page
http://home.triad.rr.com/smrainey/labyrinth.htm

In a few cases, I have made corrections or revisions on chapters that have been previously posted. Everything now posted is the latest (and almost certainly final) version.

Please enjoy.

--Mark

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: DS LABYRINTH Ch. 20: Grand Finale
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2002, 11:13:58 AM »
Lovely!  Very believable aftermath.  And I like the end results with Quentin (don't want to say too much here!).
Josette

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2002, 12:39:36 AM »
I loved this story so much, thank you for posting it.. I believe that is just what Quentin would do to save himself from himself and his family.  I had hoped the curse would have burned with the portrait or along with the evil count... alas this ending was much better...

Thank you for sharing your talent, it is quite exceptional. :)
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2002, 03:32:09 AM »
Well, here it is... the final chapter of DARK SHADOWS: THE LABYRINTH OF SOULS.

Ah! Now I can read this. I've downloaded every chapter but I've been waiting to read it until you were able to finish the entire story and I had some free time to read it from beginning to end. And with DS not being on for the next three weeks, the timing couldn't be more perfect. ;)

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2002, 04:59:57 AM »
just wanted to add THANK YOU,THANK YOU,THANK YOU
MARK for taking time out of your busy life to write this and make so many of us very happy!
You're one of a kind, love your work!!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2002, 05:48:03 AM »
So sad to see this story come to an end. It was well worth the wait for each exciting chapter. Thank you for sharing it with us.
This chapter was both sad and heartwarming yet leaves the possibility of a sequel if you so choose to do so someday.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2002, 12:45:42 PM »
Hi Mark,  Just wanted to say a great big THANK YOU!!! [/color][/b][/u]

Wow!  The ending was well worth the wait!
I loved how you portrayed Quentin in the end and showed how he put his concern over his family before himself.  I also loved the ending with Carolyn hearing the Carolers singing and the message of hope that she received from it.

I've enjoyed this story from beginning to end and Im almost sorry now that it's come to an end.  It's like a good book that you hate to put down, but then when you finish it you're sort of sorry you did.  Well, at least I have the whole story printed out and I can go back and read it again at any time.

I hope you will continue with your writing as you have a wonderful gift!

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Eleanor_Rigby

• Full Poster
  • So it goes -- Kilgore Trout
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2002, 04:00:58 PM »
I would like to add my thanks to everyone else.

I have enjoyed reading this story more than the first book, if only because I am not really a Victoria Winters fan.  Petofi is my favorite villain and I thought you characterized him perfectly.  I enjoyed seeing Quentin in the role of hero.

I don't want to spoil it for others who haven't read yet just wanted to agree with the others that the aftermath was very believable.  I might have liked a different ultimate finale but am happy with the way things worked out.

I hope you will leave your story online so that I may go back and reread it again.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2002, 05:08:37 PM »
Wow!  Mark, I just want you to know that was a great read, and to thank you so much for sharing it with all of us! Truly one of the best DS fanfics I have ever read, and so true to the characters, tone and overall feel of Dark Shadows. Especially loved the wintertime setting and the Christmas ending. The holidays were always absent from the show, and this was a really nice addition to your story.

My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2002, 09:01:59 AM »
Mark i've tried and tried can't get Ch 20 to come up for me
also tried to type in myself won't  work
any one else having this problem!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2002, 03:38:46 PM »
Jennifer -- Road Runner's been having outages now and again; it's possible you tried during a time when the server was down. I just accessed the chapters with no problem, so give it another try.

http://home.triad.rr.com/smrainey/labyrinth20.htm

Hope it works OK for you.

--Mark

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2002, 10:00:33 AM »
it did Mark thank you !what a lovely ending!
brought tears to my eyes!  thanks again for writing it!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2002, 08:44:34 PM »
Dear Mark,
I want to add my thanks to everyone else's :)
This was a very good DS adventure! And it was
so good of you to entertain us.
Just a couple of questions.
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
After Quentin as the werewolf rips off Petofi's
arm, beats him with it-he tosses it into a corner.
Now this was the arm with the powerful hand,
correct? So even though Petofi is totally destroyed
the hand is still around.
So what I'm wondering, given that the story ended
on a cliffhanger, are you leaving yourself an opening
for a sequel? And will the "Hand" come into play
there? Could Petofi be brought back or come back
somehow through the use of the "Hand"?
Julianka

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2002, 09:53:50 PM »
Hi Julianka,

After Quentin as the werewolf rips off Petofi's arm, beats him with it-he tosses it into a corner. Now this was the arm with the powerful hand, correct? So even though Petofi is totally destroyed the hand is still around. So what I'm wondering, given that the story ended on a cliffhanger, are you leaving yourself an opening for a sequel? And will the "Hand" come into play there? Could Petofi be brought back or come back somehow through the use of the "Hand"?

While this book has enough of an open ending to qualify for a sequel, I'm probably not going to be in a position to write one in the foreseeable future. Who knows, though...maybe someday. However, it would be interesting if another writer wanted to take up where this one left off and come up with a whole new DS story....

I often like for the reader to be able to employ his or her imagination with my work; but I want to stimulate the imagination, not tax it. So rather than spell out every detail at the ending, I've left the possibility of future exploration of what happened with Petofi's hand and to Quentin--while hopefully still providing an adequate resolution for LABYRINTH itself. One can project what might occur beyond the ending as he or she sees fit. When I'm reading, I often enjoy this approach, and I tend to write what I like to read.

I will go so far as to say that this ending is not entirely what I originally envisioned. Posting chapters along the way allowed me to take into account some of the feedback received here when I formulated the present conclusion. (Read: I didn't want Connie to hurt me.) The original ending, in retrospect, was too open-ended, and I suspect it would have been less satisfying both to readers and to me. So those of you who were kind enough to submit your opinions here in a way helped shape the very direction of the book--hopefully in a positive way.

--Mark

Connie

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2002, 07:57:47 AM »
I will go so far as to say that this ending is not entirely what I originally envisioned. Posting chapters along the way allowed me to take into account some of the feedback received here when I formulated the present conclusion. (Read: I didn't want Connie to hurt me.)

Ha!

Everybody needs a scapegoat, don't they!

Innocently looking out for Quentin's welfare,
I am,
-CLC
VP & General Manager
S.F.T.P.A.W.B.O.Q.C.
Society For The Preservation & Well-Being Of Quentin Collins

;)