Author Topic: OT: DS FEST DATES CHANGE  (Read 4570 times)

Nancy

Re: OT: DS FEST DATES CHANGE
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2002, 08:00:22 AM »
Yes, and if I recall correctly, the fest was well attended and some people even thought it was a good weekend to have it as it was a three day holiday for most people, and a last gasp of summer trip.  However, I can see why it would be a lousy weekend date for others especially if they teach or have kids getting ready for school.  I know a few people on the festival committee who are going to have a hard time with attending for this and other reasons.

Nancy

Actually, there is precedent for holding the Fest that weekend. The 1987 NY Fest was held August 28, 29 & 30 and the 1989 NY Fest (the first one I attended) was held September 2 & 3 (with a party at the site of the former DS studio on the September 1 and a bus trip to Newport on Labor Day itself, September 4). However I can understand why many people might have problems with Labor Day Weekend. ;) And those Fests were held at the World Trade Center Marriott (sigh), not in Brooklyn.

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2002, 11:18:02 AM »

Do any of you guys speak Sicilian, or can I get away with cursing a blue streak over this?

No, but my Father does. :-)

This is suppose to be my first fest also and Im really looking forward to meeting everyone. But the more I think of drivng over there during a holiday weekend, the more sick to my stomach I get.  If any of you have never driven to a place that's near a major city during a holiday weekend, let me tell you, it's no picnic.  It can literaly take you 45 minutes just to get from one block to the next.  A few people have suggested leaving a few days earlier to get there, but then you'll be digging into your pocket for extra fees.  I could just imagine the air fare & bus fees during a holiday weekend!

The only solution I see is what others have suggested to write a letter to the powers that be.  Hopefully if enough people write in maybe something can be done.

"Calamity Jane"

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2002, 11:37:45 AM »
(*engages denial mechanisms-full throttle*)

that was fun quoting myself!  

but it is appearing that i can't go either.  hubby is teacher and this nixs it for me since he can't take the time off.   plus step-son goes to college around that time and we may need to help him get moved.  

darn and i had my little costume event ditty planned too.
now it will have to be shelved for another time.

what is the sicilian word for **censored due to rules**?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2002, 06:34:20 PM »
Sadly, I won't be attending the Festival next year.  The NYC ones are usually my only chance to see my friends that I met through fandom, but I always spend that weekend on a remote farm way upstate NY enjoying Nature in all Her myriad splendor.

I'm sure the Festival will be the usual mob scene, no matter how many of us old timers can't make it because of the scheduling.  I wonder whether they are going to do compulsory pre registration again as happened in 2001?

Gothick

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2002, 10:51:26 PM »
Wow just saw this This really stinks don't know if i can get there either the traffic is always horrible getting in
and out of Boston and to NY that W/E will have to see!

jennifer

know a few Sicilian words but will keep them to myself Heehee!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2002, 05:52:36 AM »
Sadly, I won't be attending the Festival next year.  The NYC ones are usually my only chance to see my friends that I met through fandom, but I always spend that weekend on a remote farm way upstate NY enjoying Nature in all Her myriad splendor.

Gothick

i'm devastated. . .
Julia99

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
OT: DS FEST DATES CHANGE
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2002, 06:16:58 AM »
The Fest has just released the following statement regarding the date change:

Due to circumstances beyond its control, the Dark Shadows Festival has been forced to change the dates for its 20th anniversary celebration due to scheduling conflicts with celebrity guests. The Festival values the loyal continued involvement of the DS actors and has made every effort so that the fans will be able to enjoy their participation again next year.

The new dates of August 29-31, 2003, at the Brooklyn Marriott Hotel, will also allow the Festival to sponsor a special Monday (Labor Day) Sept. 1 bus trip to Newport, RI, to visit the TV sites of Collinwood and the Blue Whale.

The Festival is very sorry for any inconvenience regarding the change in dates.

This was posted on alt.tv.dark_shadows and also sent in reply to fans who emailed following the date change.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2002, 06:57:51 AM »
Well, at least they gave their reasons.  I couldn't imagine how it could have been about the hotel once the dates were originally scheduled.

But whoever dreamt up the side trip must be trippin' themselves.  I'd sooner get on the Bus to Hell than a bus going from Brooklyn to Newport and back on Labor Day.  I can't imagine which would be worse....trying to get there by land through Connecticut (and coming home with all those people on Cape Cod, not to mention the people like Gothick who will meet you at the Throgs Neck bridge coming home from Upstate New York) or trying to get there by driving all the way out on Long Island and taking the ferry across Long Island Sound...which you can't do because I'm pretty sure the ferries don't take buses....but it doesn't matter because even if you could you'd be sitting in return traffic on the Long Island Expressway until Wednesday, with a lot of cranky people who've just closed up their homes in the Hamptons!!!

Not that I'm trying to discourage anyone....but honestly...if anyone is going to the Fest and planning to take that trip, I'd love to hear how it's being organized.

raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Nancy

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2002, 08:29:25 AM »
Well, at least they gave their reasons.  I couldn't imagine how it could have been about the hotel once the dates were originally scheduled.

Oh but it can, Rainey, it can!!  From personal experience I can tell you that even the best places can have major communication problems and the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.  I have been involved in a situation where I was helping to organize an event that involved people coming in from out of town, staying at the hotel, and our using three of the rooms for conferences.  Well, a few weeks before the event we found out that there had been a scheduling conflict the hotel became aware of at the last minute and we had the choice of changing the event to another date when ALL the rooms would be available or doing without the originally scheduled rooms.  We managed to find space elsewhere but it was indeed the hotel's fault as their staff simply booked the rooms twice on the same date.  

Nancy

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2002, 04:00:18 PM »
......We managed to find space elsewhere but it was indeed the hotel's fault as their staff simply booked the rooms twice on the same date.

Well, I certainly hope someone's head rolled for THAT little debacle!!  I understand hotel rooms being overbooked...it's the same as flights being overbooked on an airline...people cancel at the last minute and the hotel can't be left with empty rooms.....but when you book something as large as these Fests seems to be....wouldn't you think SOMEONE would have the ultimate responsibility NOT to let a screw up like that occur?  And wouldn't it be reasonable to assume they wouldn't keep their job if they didn't?

In THIS case, you have to ask who in the organization didn't make sure that all the invited celebrities were available before the dates were booked.  That's not a minor detail, and it's not like they've never done this before!!!

raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2002, 05:37:09 PM »
Well, there are always guests who cancel at the last minute due to real life events that need taking care of.

It would be ironic indeed if whomever the changes were made to accommodate wound up not being able to attend.  

Could the Mystery Guest be Dan Curtis, I wonder?

Gothick

Nancy

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2002, 07:08:28 PM »

Well, I certainly hope someone's head rolled for THAT little debacle!!  I understand hotel rooms being overbooked...it's the same as flights being overbooked on an airline...people cancel at the last minute and the hotel can't be left with empty rooms.....but when you book something as large as these Fests seems to be....wouldn't you think SOMEONE would have the ultimate responsibility NOT to let a screw up like that occur?  And wouldn't it be reasonable to assume they wouldn't keep their job if they didn't?

You would think that, Rainey but look all around and see what kind of things are allowed to happen even when it's life threatening yet it still happens and under the watch of intelligent and supposedly capable people.  So conference rooms getting booked twice by busy hotel staff members for the same date is nothing in comparison. ;) I don't know if anyone was fired over the incident or not; I only know it was a major hassle for us and I know such things have happened to other people.

In THIS case, you have to ask who in the organization didn't make sure that all the invited celebrities were available before the dates were booked.  That's not a minor detail, and it's not like they've never done this before!!!

See, I would not make the assumption that's what happened.  If there was a history of the dates being set and announced and then changed, I would wonder who was dozing at the switch, but to my knowledge this has not happened before.  That makes me think indeed something unforseen happened.  Maybe there really is a new and big guest coming to the festival and his/her plans fell through - that on top of maybe one or two of the bigger draw actors had to bow out after their initial commitment.  Remember, Rainey, several of the actors who were in DS and do come to the Festival are still working actors . . . and if not acting, they still work at something.  The festival has always stated that guests will appear pending professional commitments.  The actors are asked about the dates months and months ahead of time and between the time they agree and even a few months down the road, they have been offered a job or have some other professional (or personal) commitment.   It used to be, and maybe it still is, the DS actors are not paid to be at the festivals.  Their expenses are covered, etc. but even if they got some kind of stipend, they are not about to turn down a job to attend the festival.  And those jobs come up at the last minute.  This is unusual that more than one conflict arose for the attending actors.   I know there have been instances where two big name draws said they could not attend the festival even after the dates were announced and the convention was not rescheduled as a result.

Since the actors are a key draw for fans attending the festival, the absence of them for whatever reason would be the one thing to make the festival be rescheduled.  If the projector at the festival broke down and there was not any video as a result, the fest would go on and people would have a good time.  But the reality is the actors are the key draw to these events. If more than just a few and/or a big pending "surprise guest" had sudden schedule conflicts, the festival could not simply discount that.  

If they went ahead and scheduled the convention and were down several key draws and a potentially a fantastic first-time guest all because they didn't want to change the dates, they would be criticized for making that decision and on top of it have a small turn out of attendees.

Nancy

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2002, 08:46:05 PM »
I just hope someone will able to go and give us the latest update on Roger Davis' housing development.

Nancy

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2002, 09:16:30 PM »
I just hope someone will able to go and give us the latest update on Roger Davis' housing development.

I heard he was able to make some kind of great deal for himself as he talked the seller to death. [lghy]

Nancy

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2002, 09:38:07 PM »
I heard he was able to make some kind of great deal for himself as he talked the seller to death. [lghy]

Girl.....you're BAD!! :D

rainey
Dylan Thomas