Author Topic: Robservations 11/22/02 - #738/739 - Barnabas & Charity Look Into Laura's Past  (Read 1314 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
738 - (Nancy Barrett) - Collinwood in the year 1897.  And on that night, Quentin Collins has succeeded in destroying the urn which contains the essence of Laura Collins' existence.  And now Laura watches in panic as the fires around her begin to bank and die, knowing that when the fire is out, there is nothing left for her but eternal darkness.

We see a different version of the previous episode's ending, with Dirk and Laura mostly standing, rather than sitting on the bed.  He speaks some foreign words to her, but it ends with Laura begging him not to let her die, holding out her arms to him from where she lies on the bed.

3 o'clock - As Quentin heads upstairs, there's a knock at the door--it's Jamison and Charity.  Jamison is shaking, he's so frightened.  Quentin assures him nothing can harm him, but Jamison wants to go to his mother.  She's sleeping, says Quentin.  I've had had a dream my mother died, says Jamison.  He awakened screaming, explains Charity, and I couldn't quiet him--I was afraid Jamison would get sick if I didn't bring him.  Quentin kneels and suggests to Jamison, go get a cup of tea, wake someone up to get it for you!--someday you'll be master of Collinwood, and everyone will have to do your bidding.  This intrigues Jamison, who says I'll go wake up someone right now.  Charity is about to leave, but Quentin wants to talk to her.  He ushers her in and explains that dreams sometimes reveal painful truths.  Charity doesn't understand--surely the boy's mother isn't. . .  She's ill, says Quentin, but there's nothing physically wrong with her.  Charity asks if there's anything she can do.  Yes--prepare Jamison, advises Quentin, to show him there are people in this world who love him very much.  Jamison is fortunate to have his uncle's love, opines Charity.  No, says Q, I'M the fortunate one--you may hear people say Quentin Collins is a wicked man.  I can't believe that, says Charity.  True, he says, I've committed all the sins you just read about.  (LOL!)  Charity turns away.  Do I shock you? he asks.  No, she says.  And more, many more, adds Q.  All that can cost a man a great deal, spiritually, she reminds him.  Through Jamison, I have a second chance, says Q, and I want to devote my life to that boy.  You aren't wicked with the kind of concern you're showing tonight, she says.  It's a grave night, Q says.  The poor lady is really dying? asks Charity.  That poor lady, says Q, may be dead by now.  From the landing, there's a giggle, and Laura herself, obviously "restored," says, "As usual, Quentin, you are wrong--the poor lady never felt better!"  And she giggles uproariously.

Charity is puzzled--Laura was so ill.  No, says Laura, there was nothing wrong with me--"What's the matter, Quentin, aren't you pleased to see me?"  Quentin is stone-faced.  Jamison comes from the kitchen and darts into his mother's arms.  I had a horrible dream about you, he says, but Quentin told me everything was all right.  Laura takes her son into the drawing room for a little talk, closing the doors on Quentin, who takes it out on Charity by demanding, "Miss Trask, why don't you mind your own business instead of interfering in mine?"  Then he apologizes--I was upset.  Charity is too busy staring at Barnabas' portrait Quentin notices her scrutiny.  She doesn't know what he apologized for, and she drifts to the door.

Jamison tells his mother, I was afraid I'd lost you again--now that you're here, I want you to stay with us.  I can't, she says, there is someone in the house who wants to hurt me.  They can't, Jamison assures her--one day, very soon, I'll be master of this house and no one will dare lay a hand on you.  Right now, that isn't the case, says Laura.  You can stay, says Jamison--Quentin will help you if I ask.  She orders him, get into your nightshirt and come to my room--I have a great deal more talking to do with you.  When she flings open the doors, Quentin is right there.  She marches upstairs haughtily. Jamison promises his uncle he will speak to him later.  Quentin looks pissed.

Barnabas is at home, writing a letter.  Charity knocks at his door; he invites her in.  I hope you don't mind, she says.  "Of course not, my dear child," he assures her--I don't mind your coming here.  "I feel so ashamed of myself," she says, her eyes glowing, "but I had to come--I couldn't stay away."  I understand completely, he says, helping her off with her shawl.  She tells him about the burning of the school--it was completely gutted--my father's life work, destroyed--but I don't care, it gave me an excuse to come to you.  (She's got the hots bad!)   He assures her she needs no excuse to come to him, and knows it--come whenever you feel you must.  I do want to, she says, I've never known anyone like you--you've made me see the world as a warm, beautiful place--"Barnabas, is there a mirror?" she asks--I want to look into one, because in your world, I feel that I, too, am beautiful.  The vampire is taken aback by this request.  "You are beautiful," he assures her, "you need no mirror to know that.  Look into my eyes and you will see."  She turns to him, full of love. . .

Dirk tells Laura, I can't believe you need me.  You must, she says--when I was dying, your warmth restored me to life, and only you can do that for me.  I swear to do anything for you, he vows.  Anything? she asks.  Yes!--ask Ra for the scarab, says Laura--Ra is our master, and I need that scarab to fight my enemy.  How can I ask him? queries Dirk.  Do what you did before, she says.
I can't, insists Dirk.  You can and you will, she says--summon the scarab from the flames.  They go to the fireplace, where Dirk says: The scarab is eternal life.  The scarab will help me vanquish him forever!  He speaks in a foreign language again, and a beetle-like scarab appears in the flames.  Laura reaches down and takes it from the fireplace, thanking Ra for sustaining her.  Jamison knocks at the door.  Laura hides the scarab in her pocket.  Jamison is disconcerted to see Dirk--I thought you would be alone.  Dirk was just helping me with something I needed, Laura explains (tell your son what, Laura, I dare ya!).  Jamison orders Dirk to go.  Laura wonders how her son could speak to Dirk that way.  Quentin says servants must know their proper place, says Jamison.  Laura is angry to hear this--Quentin is the person trying to hurt me, she tells him, but Jamison doesn't believe her.  It's true, she says.  She kneels and tells him, you didn't have a dream, but a vision--you saw me dying because Quentin wanted me to die.  Jamison is stunned.

Barnabas tells Charity, I'll take you back to Collinwood; you can spend the night there.  Must we go immediately? she asks, having something different in mind.  No, but soon, he says.  I don't understand it at all, muses Charity-- this is so different from what I feel for Tim. Is it? he asks.  It's as if I had no will of my own, she says, as if I wanted no will of my own, as if I have to do anything you want me to do, and that was the only way I could be happy.  "Oh, Barnabas," she whispers, "make me happy."
She turns to face him, his fangs are bared.  "I will," he promises and sinks his fangs into her proffered throat.  (sizzling!)

Quentin tells Jamison, who's running down the stairs, that he wants to talk to him.  Jamison complains that he's cold.  Quentin knows something is wrong--are you all right?  Of course, says Jamison--someday, I'll be master of Collinwood, this house will be mine, and everyone in it will have to do as I say--right?  Quentin agrees.  Including you, adds Jamison--Quentin--"Do you know what I want you to do?"  Tell me what it is and I'll do it, promises Quentin.  "I want you to get out of my sight and stay out of my sight!" rages Jamison.  Why? asks Q.  "I'll tell you why--because I HATE you!"  Horrified, Quentin stares at his nephew.

Don't be silly, Quentin tells Jamison.  The boy orders him, don't call me that!  You couldn't hate me, insists Quentin.  Yes, I could, says Jamison--because you hurt my mother.  She told you that? asks Q.  Yes, Jamison says.
It isn't true, Jamison, says Q, I wouldn't do that (but you DID!).  My mother told me you made her sick, accuses Jamison (not in bed, I hope).  Sometimes, says Q, when people aren't well, they misunderstand things--you get angry at the person who says you have to stay in bed, or gives you bitter medicine--but that person only does it for your own good.  Laura comes downstairs, asking what Quentin is talking about in reference to bitter medicine.  She ignores Quentin when he asks how she's feeling, and encourages Jamison to go up to bed--I will take you, she says.  We should talk, Quentin tells Laura.  No, says Jamison, you might hurt her again.  Laura assures her son it's all right--go upstairs to bed--I'll be safe.  She kisses his cheek and watches him go upstairs.

In the drawing room, Quentin snaps--it's disgusting, watching you pretending to be a good mother.  And what about you? counters Laura, pretending to be a good uncle to your nephew, the heir to Collinwood.  I'm not pretending, he retorts, since neither his father nor his mother gives him what he needs.  His mother gives him exactly what he needs, insists Laura.  By trickery and lies, says Quentin.  That you will hurt me again is no lie, says Laura.  What about the rest of the truth? demands Quentin, about us being together?  Should I tell him the real meaning of the little games you taught Jamison? she asks--how you seek evil in the darkness and your heartless schemes?  Heartless? asks Q, incredulous--"You're the one who's heartless!"  No, you are, says Laura.  Dirk bursts in, intending to attack Quentin.  No! cries Laura.  So this is really what you've come down to? grins Quentin--"One of the servants.  You surprise me, Laura--you've always pretended to be such a lady."  Dirk again goes to attack Quentin, but Laura tells him no, Quentin is leaving.  Yes, says Q, and does exactly that.  Dirk mutters, he always talks like lord of the manor.  That's one of Quentin's self-deceptions, says Laura, but I don't want to waste time talking about him.  He wraps his arms around her to "warm" her again, but instead has to answer a knock at the door.  Barnabas and Charity stand there.  I saw her wandering around the estate, confused, says Barnabas.  Dirk, annoyed, promises to see to it Charity gets a room.  I thought you went into town, Laura says.  I started to, explains Charity, but got lost--Barnabas was kind enough to bring me back here.  Barnabas stares at Laura, astounded.  She introduces herself to him, but he doesn't respond.
Gulping, he covers with a smile and says, "Edward never told me you were as young and beautiful as you are."  Edward wouldn't, says Laura sourly.  She holds out her hand to Barnabas, who gives it a quick squeeze instead of his usual gallant kiss.  Laura remarks, it's late and heads upstairs.  Charity follows Barnabas and asks what's the matter.  "It can't be!" he whispered.  "I saw her, heard her voice, touched her hand--but that woman has been dead for over 100 years!"  Charity's huge blue eyes widen.

NOTES:  Many think the "Make me happy, Barnabas," line is one of DS most erotic, and I tend to agree--that, or when he asks Carolyn to "Comfort me."  Barnabas got very sensual with Charity, who seems to blossom under his thrall.  It's a shame he didn't have a mirror, but it's understandable.  Dirk has become quite the protector, hasn't he, lighting her fire and all.  Barnabas' startlement was total on seeing Laura.  Wait until you hear his explanation of why!

Great stuff, and it was good to finally see Barnabas.

739 - (Joan Bennett) - Collinwood in the year 1897, where Barnabas Collins has come to try to save young David Collins' life.  Here he has met many of the people who made up that time in the past.  But tonight, for the first time, he has met Laura Collins, and seen to his horror that beyond this past lies another past containing even more terror than he has yet dreamed of.

Charity insists Barnabas must be mistaken about Laura.  He assures her that Laura is much more than she seems--and exactly what she is is what they will find out.  He want Charity to stick around--tonight, we will investigate the mystery of Laura Collins.

I'm frightened, says Charity.  He slips an arm around her and asks, "When you are with me, my dear child, there is nothing to be frightened of--ever."  Yet even he seems unsure of his own powers.  He pushes open the doors and there stands Angelique.  Oh there you are, she says.  "And there you are," he echoes unhappily.  "And there she is," says Ang, looking at Charity--"Quite a cozy little threesome."  (sexual overtones there.)  How do you know who I am? Charity asks.  I make it a point of knowing all Barnabas' friends, says Angelique--I think I owe him that interest, considering we are engaged.  Charity, horrified, gives Barnabas a look.  This is terrible, she cries--"I feel so ashamed!"  She runs off.  After all these years, taunts Ang, I would think your taste in women would have improved (youch!)--"She seems rather thick-witted--and I think you had better leave her alone," warns Ang.  Amusing advice, he says, coming from you, who made me what I am.  Charity is nothing but trouble, says Angelique.  I see you've forgotten about the Trasks, Barn reminds her.  No, she assures him, I remember dear Rev. Trask well, the man who tried, and failed, to destroy the witch.  "Thanks to me," Barnabas reminds her.  They are seated in a loveseat.  Angelique compliments him on the sweet irony of the way he handled Trask's execution--walling him up in your own cellar.  "I always rather appreciated that," she comments.  "Thank you," says Barnabas.  (This exchange made me laugh, it was so weird, underscoring the fact that these are two supernatural beings.)
However, warns Ang, this Trask isn't your problem, don't make him one--if Trask suspects you are going after Charity, he'll hunt you down like an animal!   I can deal with him, says Barnabas.  Ang reminds him, you're not here to deal with Trask, but to find out what's making David ill in the future.  I'm touched by your concern, says Barn.  She rises and says, I don't want anything to happen to you--intruding in a time not your own can be very dangerous.  Do you mean that? he asks--then undo what you did to me and make me human--then there will be no need for Charity Trask or any of the others.  He, too, has risen to his feet and their faces are inches apart.  Except Rachel, she says--she's the one you'd really like to be with, the one you'd run to if you were human.  "Angelique, your concern for me is, as usual, concern for yourself," says Barn pointedly.  She looks away.  I must leave, he says.  She stops him and says, "For your own sake, as well as what you're trying to do here, spend your time with girls down at the docks, girls with no names, no homes, no hopes---and most of all, no fathers."  (so generous, allowing her fiance to "date" other women, LOL!)

Charity dreams:  Angelique appears at her bedside and says, it's a very special day.  Charity rises from bed--it's her wedding day!  I'm here to help you get dressed, ready for HIM, says Angelique, showing her a black wedding veil.  Charity protests--a wedding veil is supposed to be white!  Yes, says Ang, giggling, it must--when you're marrying death. Trask asks who will give the bride away.  Ang, laughing, says, I will, of course.  "Let the music begin!" intones Trask.  We hear a funeral dirge.  Charity, in night dress and black veil, appears before him.  "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, the body of this, our daughter, we consign to the earth forever!"  It's the wrong ceremony, says Charity, horrified--I'm getting married!  No, my dear, says Trask, you're being buried!--that's how it is when you're dead!  "I'm not dead!" cries Charity--I'm your daughter, and I'm not dead.  I had a daughter once, he says, but she died, she was killed by...  No, says Charity, that's not true.  Oh yes it is, says Angelique.  I won't hear anything you say against him, Charity tells Angelique--"I love him."  You love him? asks Ang--who do you love?--not Tim Shaw, the man you're supposed to marry.  Yes, that's it, I love Tim Shaw, agrees Charity, and I'm not dead.  Is that Tim Shaw standing there? Asks Angelique.  Yes, says Charity, happy, but when she runs to him, he's gone.  But he's coming back, says Ang, and when he does, he'll know everything.  How can you say that? demands Charity--and how can you make him go away that way, make him disappear?--it's not human.
Ang giggles--you aren't isn't dealing with humans, Charity!  Help me! Charity begs a man we cannot see.  Barnabas turns and bares his fangs; his face is replaced by that of a skull with bared fangs (a super-creepy image.)  Charity screams; Ang laughs and laughs.  Charity awakens in her bed, hysterically screaming for real.

Charity feels her throat where Barnabas has marked her.  When someone knocks at her door, she settles back.  It's four o'clock in the afternoon, says Judith.  When she opens the drapes to let in the afternoon sun, Charity protests the abrupt light in the room.  I'm awake, she tells Judith, but don't know how I feel--the light hurts my eyes--other than that, I'm fine--I just feel so weak.  It's no wonder, says Judith--bringing Jamison back last night after the shock of the fire was too much.  I had to come back, says Charity.  It's no surprise you're tired and pale, says Judith--your father is coming for you.  This upsets Charity--I can get back by myself.  He's coming because I want to see him, says Judith--you stay in bed.  When she tries to drape a black shawl over her, however, Charity becomes upset and says, take it away, I don't want it!  Rest, urges Judith.  Charity lies back against the pillows.

Angelique answers the door at Collinwood.  It's Trask.  She greets him as if she knows him, explaining, I'm Barnabas' fiancee--it's an honor to meet the famed Reverend Trask.  She caresses his hand and comments, I hold in my hand the hand that has shaped the destiny of so many.  (laying it on thick, this was hilarious.)  I didn't realize my reputation was so wide-spread, he says, flattered.  He asks about her wedding plans.  Ihope to marry Barnabas very soon, she replies.  He tells her about Charity's upcoming wedding to Tim, which she already knows about.  I know much about Charity, she says--marry her off as quickly as possible.  With the fire, it will have to be put off, he says.  She warns him, there are many fires raging around us, and many ways for people to get badly burned--you shouldn't put it off.  (even jealous of his victims!)  She excuses herself, leaving him puzzled by her vague warnings.  Judith comes downstairs and tells him Charity is sleeping.  At this hour? he asks--I hate sloth.  Charity isn't feeling well, says Judith.  What's the matter? He asks.  The shock of the fire, says Judith.  She invites him into the drawing room.  He says, "My dear lady, I would follow you anywhere."  (where are my hip boots, it's deep in here!)  She sits down and tells him the fire was a great shock to all of them.  Yes, he agrees--seeing the building I worked so hard to put up was terrible, but I will rebuild when I can.  I want to help you rebuild, she says--and in the meantime, I would allow you use of one of the buildings on the estate to set up a temporary school.  Trask is flabbergasted--you would do all this for me?--for us, he amends.  It would be an honor, she replies.  I'm not easily overcome, says Trask, overcome, but right now...
I'm just offering money, she says, and when one has it, it's not difficult to offer.  But sometimes money doesn't give you all the rewards you'd wish? does it, he asks--I recognize your need in making this generous offer.  (I bet he does.)  She suggests they go see Charity.  Trask realizes he embarrassed her--it was necessary, he says, I see there are problems in your heart and soul that must be uncovered, talked about to a dear friend--and I'm going to be that friend!  (His eyes gleam when money is mentioned.)  I can't tell you how much I admire you, she says, yet you, like everyone else, is so uncomplaining, despite your hardships and ill health.  This surprises Trask--where did you hear of it? he asks.  Your wife mentioned it, says Judith, when she was here.  How strange of Minerva, he remarks, since SHE is the one who is in ill-health.  (Does anyone else think a lightbulb went off over the rev's head right about now?)  "Increasingly ill health."

7:10 PM - Barnabas rises from his coffin and sits up.  He calls to Charity.  "I need you--there is much to be done.  Hurry, my dear, hurry!"

In the hallway outside Charity's room, Judith tells Trask that Charity seemed pale and strangely lethargic, but she's sure she'll be better after she sees her father.  When they go into the room, however, Charity is gone!

Barnabas opens a trunk in the Old House basement.  The door upstairs opens; Charity walks downstairs.  They greet each other warmly.  She assures him she's feeling very well.  When I met your fiancee, I was upset and depressed, says Charity, but then lying in bed, thinking about it, it didn't seem to matter that the two of us are engaged to others.  "Because of this special thing we have between us," he says.  Yes, she agrees, I know that now and it makes me feel elated, as if something extraordinary might happen.  It might, he says--we might be on the brink of a discovery--this trunk belonged to Jeremiah, and many of its contents have crumbled with the years, but others are more substantial.  He shows Charity a picture of Jeremiah's first wife, Laura Stockbridge.  "It's she!" cries Charity--"The same woman!"  (The portrait doesn't look much like Laura.)  "Yes," says Barnabas, "the day she came to Collinwood, she was wearing a bright orange riding habit.  No one else could wear it, but on her, it was magnificent.  I remember the first time I saw her, I was a child of 10 and I thought there could never be no more beautiful woman as long as I lived."  Charity asks, "When you were 10 years old?"  She was like a flame, says Barnabas, coming toward the house, that day in her bright orange riding habit.  How ironic that fire should kill her.  Charity is horrified to hear of a woman who dies in flames and walks, who is dead but bears no scars--and he who was born in a lifetime she will never know--all this frightens me terribly!--I must go away, she cries.  Where would you go? he asks.  Sometimes, I think, anywhere but here.  You did say this was the one place that made you feel beautiful, right? he reminds her.  She turns away from him.  "She was beautiful!" cries Charity, gesturing to the portrait--"And now she's dead!"  Don't think about that, says Barnabas, think about us.  She looks up at him, mesmerized and calm again.  "Us. . .you and I," she murmurs.  "And the special thing we have between us, he says--do you still want to go, Charity?"  No, I never want to go away from you, she agrees.  Good, he says--we still have much to find out to see if Laura Collins and Stockbridge are one and the same--and finding out will be very dangerous indeed.

Trask says it's as if my daughter vanished--no sign of her.  She's probably in some sort of shock, suggests Judith.  I would like to believe that, says Trask, but don't--I realize evil lurks deep inside everyone, and could be let out, which is why I so relentlessly pursue it.  Surely not your daughter, says Judith.  No one's daughter is immune from evil, he says--Angelique said something curious--that I should watch my daughter, apparently I haven't done so closely enough--she's always been a perfect child, but I see now that may have been the devil's disguise for what is lurking inside her.  Judith suggests he's being harsh with Charity; he agrees.  Perhaps she went for a walk and became ill, suggests Judith.  She knew I would be here, says Trask--no reason for her not to show up!  Judith is about to get Dirk to help search the grounds when Charity walks in.  You had better have an explanation for me, says Trask sternly--where have you been?  he demands--and what have you been doing?  (just a little kinky vampire sex, Dad!)  She starts to reply, but instead falls to the floor in a faint.  Trask rushes to her side.
The first thing he finds, and Judith witnesses, are the fresh fang marks on her throat!

NOTES:  Loved those erotic scenes between Charity and Barnabas.  She realizes her "lover" is way older than she imagined, but he is easily able to calm her through their bond.  And I imagine that when he really wants to make her docile, he puts the bite on her--and perhaps makes love to her, too.  

Now that Trask has uncovered the "evil" in his daughter, what will he do?  Does he realize she's a vampire victim, and if so, how will he fight it?  Didn't it seem that Angelique was actively trying to get her fiance into trouble with Trask, warning him to get his daughter married off fast?  (As if that would prevent Barnabas from visiting Charity if he wanted to, married or not!)  

Barnabas knew Laura previously, when he was a 10-year old boy.  Now, that means there is more of an age difference between Jeremiah and Barnabas than we were led to believe.  At what age could Jeremiah have married Laura?  15?  16?  Yet another seeming discrepancy pops up in DS lore!

Love, Robin