Author Topic: Debonair Tim Shaw  (Read 1886 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Debonair Tim Shaw
« on: November 21, 2002, 09:16:47 PM »
Since nobody else has apparently bothered to notice, I just have to say what a luscious bit of Broadway charm we have in Don Briscoe's Tim Shaw.  The character may be a creep, but I just love looking at him in those Victorian clothes.  And imagining him out of them, heh heh heh.

That little collar is so dear. So very Dudley Do-right.  Love the little flips on the hair, too.  Of course in the real 1897 it would have been lacquered solid with hair oil.

This was around the time when Don was doing DS by day, and appearing as Donald in Boys in the Band by night.  I've tried and failed to find a publicity photo of him in the role.  I would be obliged if anybody ever does put their hands on one if they could let me know.

Regards,  Steve

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Debonair Tim Shaw
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2002, 03:36:28 AM »
Oh, I've noticed, I've noticed. He is looking exceptionally fine. Who would think he could go from Tom the vampire to this?!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline ms._hoffman

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2002, 04:09:06 AM »
Ditto!!!!!

Connie

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2002, 12:34:12 PM »
Since nobody else has apparently bothered to notice, I just have to say what a luscious bit of Broadway charm we have in Don Briscoe's Tim Shaw.  

Well, I have to concur.  He looks pretty damned good to me -- especially when his hair is flopping over onto his forehead.  Not bad at all.  Rather cute.
[thumb]

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2002, 12:42:34 PM »
Gothick Wrote:

Love the little flips on the hair, too.  Of course in the real 1897 it would have been lacquered solid with hair oil.

I was gonna mention what's up with this hair flip? Whatever it is, it does look pretty good on him!
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2002, 06:20:08 PM »
Although I'm liking Don Brisoce as Tim Shaw (and agree that the character is a jerk!), I pine for the days of shirtless Chris Jennings - yummy!

This was around the time when Don was doing DS by day, and appearing as Donald in Boys in the Band by night.  I've tried and failed to find a publicity photo of him in the role.  I would be obliged if anybody ever does put their hands on one if they could let me know.

Gothick, I've seen references to Don Briscoe appearing in this play a couple of other places on the web.  I know generally what it's about but have never seen the play (or the movie).  What can you tell us about the character Briscoe played?

My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2002, 08:44:47 PM »
I have to admit: Don Briscoe became a little less wooden as time went on...but what's up with his 1897 hair?

Donny boy: pick a style and go with it!
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2002, 11:45:41 PM »
Dear Cassandra,

Don Briscoe's character, Donald, is the best friend (and former, uh, snuggle buddy) of the protagonist of the ensemble play, Michael.  (I believe that future DS performer Christopher Bernau played Michael opposite Don Briscoe, and I've often wondered whether Briscoe might have encouraged Bernau to join the cast of DS).  In the film version Donald was played by Frederick Combs, who originated the part in the initial production.  I think Don and Chris were the replacement cast while the originals were making the movie which was directed by William Friedkin.

Boys in the Band is set at a birthday party and tells the story of a group of friends through the snapshot of one evening they spend together.  It was the first successful gay play in which the fact that the characters were gay was just a given, not some major dramatic revelation unveiled at the climax of the play, and is often described as the first gay play in which none of the characters is killed or commits suicide.

The style of it ranges from acid wit to florid melodrama, with occasional flashes of innocence and debauchery to leaven the mix.  I quite like the movie version--some people hate it.

To Scout:  Don Briscoe wasn't responsible for his hair on the show; stylist Irene Hamalain was.  

Gothick

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2002, 12:48:47 AM »
Thanks for the information, Gothick!  Wish I could've seen Donnie boy in the play, it sounds really cool & groundbreaking.  

My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2002, 03:28:25 AM »
Well Steve you know how i feel but have to agree Chris J
is my fav because of those shirtless scenes!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2002, 03:40:21 AM »
>Boys in the Band is set at a birthday party and tells the story of a group of friends through the snapshot of one evening they spend together.  It was the first successful gay play in which the fact that the characters were gay was just a given, not some major dramatic revelation unveiled at the climax of the play, and is often described as the first gay play in which none of the characters is killed or commits suicide.

The style of it ranges from acid wit to florid melodrama, with occasional flashes of innocence and debauchery to leaven the mix.  I quite like the movie version--some people hate it.

And we mustn't forget the other DS connection to Boys in the Band. Keith Prentice was in the movie so I assume he was in the original cast as well.  I'm afraid I forget the name of the character he played, but I certainly do remember that he wore tight, white pants.

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2002, 04:56:13 AM »

I'm afraid I forget the name of the character he played, but  I certainly do remember that he wore tight, white pants.  

Now, THERE is a selective memory! All I can remember about is that I thought it was quite well done and raunchy in a fun way. It may not be a popular opinion, but I think Keith Prentice is gorgeous.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2002, 06:45:23 PM »
Now, THERE is a selective memory! All I can remember about is that I thought it was quite well done and raunchy in a fun way. It may not be a popular opinion, but I think Keith Prentice is gorgeous.

Oh yes, you'll get no argument from me. I guess I am one of the few who really enjoyed him as Morgan Collins, though I hated 1841PT for the most part.

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline ms._hoffman

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2002, 02:37:27 AM »

I always found Keith Prentice attractive also.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2002, 06:30:31 PM »
Keith was great and sexy in Boys in the Band, the movie.  It shows how good he could be in a situation where he was well rehearsed and directed.

Gothick