Author Topic: OT/ Collectibles?  (Read 674 times)

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
OT/ Collectibles?
« on: November 21, 2002, 06:58:15 PM »
Just picked up my local paper to see there is a big collectibles show in Framingham, Ma.  Is there usually much DS memorabilia at one of these things?  It sounded kind of fun.  Julie Newmar, Adam West, Peter Tork, are on the line up of guests.  I don't know if I can fit this into a busy weekend, but I am going to look into finding the time.  Anyone else see this from the area?  Any other forum members go to these things?

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: OT/ Collectibles?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2002, 01:58:48 AM »
I've been to collectibles shows, along with every flea market, antique (usually meaning junk, but neat junk) store, etc. I can ever go to but I've never found one DS item.  Ironically, my one friend who loathes DS was fortunate in finding two items at such places for me:  the original soundtrack album, and the game.  But over all these years, I've always batted zero (somewhere, in one of these places, collecting dust on a shelf, is the original Josette's Music Box first offered for sale back around '69 for $5.95, and I'll find it).

As an aside, I also collect stuff dealing with historic ocean liners.  I cleaned up when I was in Paris, going through the flea markets that line the Seine.  My best scoop was finding an article from the First Class Reading and Writing room from France's most prominent and historical ocean liner.  I knew it was authentic, and I paid forty bucks for it (however that translates into francs).  When I had it appraised, it was worth $5,000.  I'm having it buried with me, or I won't go.

Gerard

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: OT/ Collectibles?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2002, 02:07:46 AM »
Given the line-up of guests you mention, it sounds likely there would be quite a few dealers offering 60s pop culture memorabilia for sale.

I live in Somerville, but don't really go to collectibles shows.  My collecting is really sporadic and pretty much limited to things like candid photos of certain performers and, when they surface, tapes of unusual bits of other work they did.

Hope you have fun, if you go to the show.  Make sure you check for whether there's a door fee.  I went to one near the JFK stop on the Red Line back in the mid 90s, and both times I had to pay just to go in.

Gothick