Author Topic: PLEASE READ:  "Last Edit by..."  (Read 2403 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
PLEASE READ:  "Last Edit by..."
« on: November 17, 2002, 09:15:19 PM »
Hi guys,

I'll soon be turning on the feature that indicates at the bottom of a message when it was modified and by whom.  I hesitated to do it before now cuz it didn't seem necessary, but despite requests for everyone to simply look over their own submitted messages after the system automatically loads them anyway (see Bandwidth Saving Measures on Current Talk), I find I'm still modifying a great deal of messages.  So, if my name or dom's appears at the bottom of your messages, the most common reason was to remove a large amount of blank space that others would have to scroll past in order to keep reading, such as this...

Are you still with me? ;) Other reasons a moderator might've modified your message(s) are faulty YaBB codes, unwelcome smilies [I asked MB to change the 8) smiley code to something other than 8 and ) but with all the other work needed on the forum it's not a priority at this time], to attribute a quote to its author, to add spacing, or to add a Spoiler warning/icon.  I think it bears repeating that the mods DON'T edit the content in messages unless we TELL you about it and are able to refer to a guideline for the reason.

BTW, if you modify your own messages after they're posted (don't we all?), this will also be reflected at the bottom.

Thanks!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE READ:  "Last Edit by..."
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2002, 10:02:40 PM »
Ick....do our OWN modifications HAVE to show up?

Sigh....my posts are going to look like the Editorial Police have been dancing a jig through them! :P

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2002, 10:37:39 PM »
Sorry, Raineypark, but if I make posters exempt from seeing their own modifications then the changes I make to them wouldn't show up either.   But I'd guess that just about everybody will have some messages that show they modified them themselves; after all, that's what I basically asked for-- that posters deal with their own problems instead of making the mods do it.  Now I don't mind, of course, helping out if someone has made an effort but can't figure out, for example, what has gone awry with their quote box, but most problems require only basic computer skills or can be fixed by a quick visit to the Help section.  And though it's the responsibility of visitors to keep abreast of changes to the guidelines, I can't miss this wonderful opportunity to segue into mentioning that a brand new guideline has been added that addresses this subject of checking the Help files. ;)

And btw, only the last edit will display.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2002, 12:27:06 AM »
]I asked MB to change the 8) smiley code to something other than 8 and ) but with all the other work needed on the forum it's not a priority at this time]

Actually, I just changed that. I added a "nose" so that the new representation for 8-) is now:

Code: [Select]
8-)
rather than only

Code: [Select]
8)
And I've also updated the posting page in the Help section to show this. :)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2002, 12:51:34 AM »
Actually, I just changed that.

Thank you!  And I'm sure I speak for everyone else that has had that smiley show up unexpectedly. :D

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2002, 01:20:38 AM »
And btw, only the last edit will display.

Well, THAT I can live with.  I thought you meant that EVERY modification would be listed, in sequence.....which would have used up a LOT of space in my case!  ::)

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2002, 01:23:35 AM »
Ick....do our OWN modifications HAVE to show up?

"Last Edit by..." had been displaying when the forum was first opened because that's YaBB's default setting. But I disabled the feature shortly afterward because everyone back then was just learning how the posting features worked and I didn't want people to feel embarrassed whenever Midnite or I had modified their posts to correct a YaBBC tag. :)

The best way to make sure that all the tags are working and your message will display properly once you post it is to take advantage of the Preview feature. Who knows how many times I've caught things in my own posts because I've forgotten to add the / in the closing tag or I've transposed letters (something like qoute instead of quote). [winkg]

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2002, 01:39:17 AM »
--Mark[/b]

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2002, 01:41:24 AM »
And I'm notorious for finding errors in a post long after everyone else has had a chance to catch it, regardless of whether I preview it first. But I try to fix'em anyway. ;)

--Mark[/b]

This post was edited by Mark Rainey 3,418 times

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2002, 02:34:58 AM »
And I'm notorious for finding errors in a post long after everyone else has had a chance to catch it

Don't you just hate when that happens?! [wink2]

But I try to fix'em anyway. ;)

So do I. ;)

Now, I seriously doubt that! [lghy] In fact, even in the beginning, I don't seem to recall having had to modify your posts. You're obviously a quick learner. [thumb]

Connie

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2002, 09:35:01 AM »

LOL.  [heh]

Barnabas says:  "Magda is nothing more than a cheap fraud."
                  "Magda eez gorgeous woman with much appeal."

« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2002, 1:30am, by MAGDA »

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2002, 10:37:33 AM »
And I'm notorious for finding errors in a post long after everyone else has had a chance to catch it, regardless of whether I preview it first. But I try to fix'em anyway. ;)

Same here Mark.  Sometimes I'll find a mistake from my post days later even though I preview them first.   And like you, I always go back and try to fix them.  

Im glad that we have this privledge here on this board because I could imagine what my posts would look like without it. (especially late at night when Im just about ready to fall out and find myself still on here)  ;-)

"Calamity Jane"

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2002, 10:48:48 AM »
Note to dom - I left a blank space in a post today - because of a SPOILER warning.  I assumed it was obvious that it was spoiler space, but discovered that you edited it out.  So, I edited it again to put the word spoiler vertically to fill the space.

Josette

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2002, 03:55:17 PM »
You can tell I haven't been here lately.

I just noticed that on the topic listing board that I now have a tiny pix after some topics. It'll say: "Slow Board Tonight" <page 1,2> then there is this tiny pix that I can't even tell what it is or does it match any of the logos on the board. What does that mean?

Did I miss this topic because I am not following Midnight's suggestion about reading this board once in awhile? I try.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2002, 06:42:38 PM »
I just noticed that on the topic listing board that I now have a tiny pix after some topics. It'll say: "Slow Board Tonight" <page 1,2> then there is this tiny pix that I can't even tell what it is or does it match any of the logos on the board. What does that mean?

Hi Carol,

The icon indicates that there's at least one image in the topic-- very handy if someone has posted photos to it.  In the case of the "Slow Board..." thread, the image is the Ping Plotter.  MB announced it in a topic called "New Icon" that by now is on page 3.  Oops?  ;)