Author Topic: Hawkes Harbor by S. E. Hinton (not really OT)  (Read 2962 times)

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Hawkes Harbor by S. E. Hinton (not really OT)
« on: August 08, 2011, 12:54:40 AM »
If you are one of the few DS fans that don't know this book you should. It's the story of an orphan named Jamie that finds a vampire chained in a coffin. It includes his life before and after the event. It's about the hospital he spends time in for kidnapping and the rich family that lives in a mansion on the hill. It's by S.E. Hinton that wrote "The Outsiders", "Rumble Fish", "Tex" and "That Was Then, This Is Now" all have been made into movies. "Hawkes Harbor" would make a great movie.

So who's a "Hawkes Harbor" fan?
May you die before you want too.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Hawkes Harbor by S. E. Hinton (not really OT)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 02:49:54 AM »
There was a thread about it a year or two ago.  I haven't had time to read the book.

G.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 03:01:50 PM »
I've read Hawkes Harbor, and I like it.  There are some interesting details and twists to the whole Barnabas/Willie story, and a strong indication that more novels could have been written about other members of the Hawkes - i.e. Collins - family.

On page 189 (of my copy, anyway) the Roger Collins character, who is named Richard Hawkes, is called Roger, which indicates to me that the book was originally written using the actual Dark Shadows names and then changed, except for this one lapse.

Also, of course I like the fact that the Elizabeth character is named Lydia.  I chose the name Lydia to use here before I read the book, but it was fun to discover that Lydia is, in a way, a Dark Shadows name after all.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 03:28:52 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed it (including the little "whoopsie" Lydia mentioned about Richard/Roger [I remember reading somewhere that it was deliberate, a "hidden" tongue-in-cheek tribute to DS fans]).  Many did not like the ending; I did and even teared up.

Gerard

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 03:50:38 PM »
I read and enjoyed it.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 05:09:43 PM »
Read it a couple of years ago. Thought it was ok but not really my cup of tea.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 07:41:59 PM »
I found Hawkes Harbor in galley form at the publisher's exhibit booth at a conference before it was published, and picked it up because I'm a Hinton fan.  I was struck by the similarities to DS before I had any idea of its real connection to DS.  I later found out it had been intended as part of the series of novels that got started with Angelique's Descent.  Apparently the Curtis estate and/or the publishers were not satisfied with the novel and did not want it to be part of the series.  So names were changed and it was published as a separate unrelated work.

It has its flaws.  But I think it's very, very good in providing character background for Jamie and Kellen (Willie and Jason in DS).  Definitely recommended!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 09:17:20 PM »
Wow.  They "weren't satisfied" by something from the prize-winning pen of S. E. Hinton, yet they published the Salem Branch??

I'll never, ever understand the current publishing scene.

G.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 08:12:20 AM »
(including the little "whoopsie" Lydia mentioned about Richard/Roger [I remember reading somewhere that it was deliberate, a "hidden" tongue-in-cheek tribute to DS fans])
Oh, it was intentional?  Cool, thanks for the information.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 02:33:04 PM »
That's what I read somewhere, Lydia; don't ask me where, I don't remember anymore because it's been a few years and the brain cells ain't what they use to be.  When Hinton had to "transition" the novel from a DS one to a non-DS one (when the Harper-Collins series collapsed and because her original manuscript was considered too, shall we say, "racey" by the series' PTB), she had to change all the names of persons, places and things (Collinsport to Hawkes Harbor; Willie to Jamie, etc.), but that one "original" name was deliberately kept in, just for fun for us DS guys and gals.  It's amazing that DCP either somehow permitted it or didn't ever notice it (shhhh, if they haven't), rather than calling out the lawyers over one, simple name.  You know how finicky it is about mine-mine-mine-mine if there's the least little bit of cha-ching involved.

Gerard

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 03:13:46 PM »
I've seen a couple of fan reviews (one was by Sara Monster) state that the mistake was deliberate, but I can't say where they got that information.  When I came across the sudden name change to Roger and the mention of the Collins Shipping business, I chalked them up as bloopers worthy of DS.

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 05:02:03 PM »
I've seen a couple of fan reviews (one was by Sara Monster) state that the mistake was deliberate, but I can't say where they got that information.

Nope, I actually thought it was a simple mistake myself.

Quote in question, & my comment:
"Richard was saying..." she began. His look warned her he had little interest in what his cousin had to say, but she went on. "The Collins shipping industry needed to look into passenger cruises. They are the wave of the future-You know Roger and his puns."

(That above line is NOT a typo, by the way. For two sentences they let the names 'Collins' & 'Roger' slip through without changing them!)

But incase there was any confusion, what I meant was that it wasn't a typo of MINE. Of which, I'm sure there are many in my site.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 05:28:46 PM »
I've seen a couple of fan reviews (one was by Sara Monster) state that the mistake was deliberate, but I can't say where they got that information.  When I came across the sudden name change to Roger and the mention of the Collins Shipping business, I chalked them up as bloopers worthy of DS.

Hmm... maybe it was deliberate.  That was the only mistake I noticed in the galley, and it was still there in the published book.  Since it was a rather glaring mistake, surely *someone* would have brought it to the editor's attention at some point.  Of course, I have absolutely no idea what the workflows are in publishing, and it could be that by the time the information got to where it needed to go, it was too late to fix it.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 08:44:40 PM »
Nope, I actually thought it was a simple mistake myself.

Oh, my apologies, Sara Monster! When I originally read
For two sentences they let the names 'Collins' & 'Roger' slip through without changing them!)
for some reason it registered in my brain that you were saying they slipped them through on purpose.  Please forgive?

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 09:14:24 PM »
No biggie, Midnite!  [ghost_smiley] Easy mistake!