Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0022  (Read 1428 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0022
« on: July 27, 2011, 04:59:40 PM »

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0022
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 09:53:12 PM »
Maggie: Are you hungry, Pop? I just made a fresh pot of coffee.

Coffee, the breakfast of champions. Well, it’s my champion. I do drink quite a bit of it, but I would have to say that I don’t consider it a meal. Strange line.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 09:56:04 PM »
So true, Janet.

Farewell, Mark Allen [ghost_sad] and welcome Susie the Mute Waitress (name by Luciaphile) #1, aka the blonde Susie as played by Colleen Kelly.  The phone booth in the Inn has been transported from the lobby into the restaurant.

We learn that the reason Maggie's coffee is better at home is because she cooks it.  And that Carolyn's function is to make dates with boyfriends.

Again with the 10-years-ago-I-was-a-kid!

Sam to Maggie:  "When a man comes to pry, you don't unlock all the cupboards."
And why are your cupboards locked, hmm?

Burke to Sam:  "I want a nice good one to go over a mantlepiece, you know the one I mean. ... As a matter of fact, you've been up to the Collin house, haven't you? ... What I want is something about the same size as the portraits they have in the drawing room. I want to be able to fit it in, right there."
Run, Sam, run!!!

Carolyn laments she made the accident possible, and Roger believes that Burke has been tormenting him for 10 years.  Would you like some coffee with that guilt?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 10:34:40 PM »
Maybe this episode should be called "The Coffee Cantata." I like a good cup myself, but really.

In the cottage, behind and between Burke and Maggie as they converse, is Sam's sketch of Maggie's mother.

And yes, farewell, Mark Allen. I actually liked him better than the more blustery and less philosophical David Ford, but that's just me.

Burke offers Sam a thousand dollars to paint his portrait. I guess we should multiply that by at least ten to get today's dollar amount.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 03:44:20 AM »
That speech of Burke's about his portrait was great.  I almost expected him to cackle and stroke his cat.   

Mark Allen's going already?  I think of him and Michael Currie as two of those great cast members at the start of DS, but they don't even overlap then, do they?   Did they have a scene together?   I much prefer MA's Sam.   It's only Day 3!  (Thanks, Janet.)

I think Burke means a "kid" in his early to mid-20s, but still, Burke seems at least 45 now, to me.

Maybe Mute Waitress is [spoiler]a descendant of that mute creation of
Tate's in 1897.  Well, we don't see what he was up to every second of his very short life....![/spoiler]

And stop it all of you, you're making me hungry for some coffee.   Maybe what Maggie said was code for "The coffee's pretty thick again today.   You might want to use a fork."
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 04:03:51 AM »
I think Burke means a "kid" in his early to mid-20s, but still, Burke seems at least 45 now, to me.

I often call people in their twenties and thirties even "kid".
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 04:14:34 AM »
And yes, farewell, Mark Allen. I actually liked him better than the more blustery and less philosophical David Ford, but that's just me.

Not just you. I think there are a number of fans that prefer Mark Allen. Not me, though. He gives me the creeps. Those short-short sleeve shirts and those shrubbery-covered arms - yech!
I like David Ford as Sam. I think he plays the part of a drunken artist/father well.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 05:05:31 AM »
Apparently Sam gets all his diet in liquid form.  Coffee Royale and make it strong and I don't mean the coffee.  The paper must work fast to get out the news when it pertains to the Collins family. 
That landing in the Evan's cottage is a total waste of space to nowhere. AT least Burke knocks this time.
Carolyn says that Vickie is upstairs tutoring David.  I expect her to be an accomplished teacher after the glowing recommendations she has received.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 10:51:20 AM »
That landing in the Evan's cottage is a total waste of space to nowhere.
Do you mean the landing just inside the front door?  I think it's got to be there.  The Evans cottage - or, since we're quoting Luciaphile today, Casa Evans - has no foyer the way Collinwood has, and I think it has to have some sort of foyer surrogate.  Likewise, I'm figuring the reason the screen door is split in two is so the Evanses can have a Collinwood-double-doors surrogate.  I'm waiting to see what they use for a tower surrogate.

Somewhere or other - probably in My Scrapbook: Dark Shadows Memories, or whatever that book is - Kathryn Leigh Scott talks about what a disaster she was, on the very first day of the show, at making sure she got to the right mark all the time.  That may or may not be the case, but if it was, she sure had picked up a lot by the time she did today's episode.  There was lots of movement for Maggie around the Evans living room, along with handling the newspaper and the coffee cup.

I liked the scene with Roger and Carolyn, too.  I feel I've spent all my time complaining lately, so it's good to know that I'm not simply shutting my eyes to the possibility being pleased.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 03:07:48 PM »
Do you mean the landing just inside the front door?  I think it's got to be there.  The Evans cottage - or, since we're quoting Luciaphile today, Casa Evans - has no foyer the way Collinwood has, and I think it has to have some sort of foyer surrogate.

Also, back in the 1950s/early 1960s, sunken living rooms were in fashion. So maybe this was Sam's attempt to be stylish.  [ghost_wink]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 03:29:35 PM »
Apparently Sam gets all his diet in liquid form.  Coffee Royale and make it strong and I don't mean the coffee.

LOL  Maybe that morning sunrise he wanted to check out was a tequila sunrise?  You know, the delicate play of light and shadow on the grenadine and o.j.?  [ghost_tongue2]