Author Topic: Jean Simmons Movies on TCM  (Read 908 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Jean Simmons Movies on TCM
« on: June 29, 2011, 06:51:59 PM »
In keeping with today's (June 29) photo of Jean Simmons from the 1991 series' 1795 sequence, I wanted to mention that Turner Classic Movies has been showing Jean Simmons movies this past week. Last night was "Life at the Top," a 1965 British movie with Laurence Harvey. I've also noticed "Angel Face" with Robert Mitchum and "Black Narcissus" with Deborah Kerr. I don't know if more of her movies are on the schedule now, but several will air again in September.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

David

Re: Jean Simmons Movies on TCM
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 07:54:17 PM »
Uncle Silas, Great Expectations and So Long at the Fair, three uber-gothic period pieces with Jean play several times a year.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Jean Simmons Movies on TCM
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 03:47:52 AM »
Jean is fabulous in Life at the Top, which is also a treat for Avengers fans as it offers a juicy role for Honor Blackman.  Margaret Johnston, who we adore in Night of the Eagle aka Burn Witch Burn, is also on board.

And a very young Jean projects aching, anxious vulnerability in So long at the Fair.  Cathleen Nesbitt, rustling down the hallways endlessly in black bombazine with sinister flair, is something of a cross between Minerva Trask and housekeeper Hoffman on DS.  Excellent fare.  It was directed by Terence Fisher who went on to do a number of classic films at Hammer studios in the 1960s.

G.