Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0003  (Read 3355 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0003
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 04:49:44 PM »
Man, I wish I had these episodes to watch.

For people who've already seen them, the Robservations are a great source to help you visualize everything about them.  [ghost_smiley]

[spoiler]and boy do some deliciously catty scenes between her and uncle roger come out of this turn of events.[/spoiler]

Those are some of my all-time favorite scenes from the show. Can't wait until we get a chance to comment on them - though the wait will be a long one because those eps won't come up until next year.  [ghost_sad]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 02:19:26 AM »
[spoiler]vicki's change of sleepwear over the years...from the sensible robe and pajamas seen here to the frilly peignoirs of the barnabas years are indicative of her changing status on the series.

here she's the show's plucky and inquisitive "heroine"...in the nancy drew tradition...but not yet an "ingenue". that comes later.

needless to say that changes with the arrival of barnabas but not quite to the episode. i distinctly noticed a "new" vicki(the one that gets endlessly maligned as "clueless")the night when barnabas...fed up with maggie's defiance...gives vicki josette's music box. she's "enchanted" by it. it's "lovely". and the dreamy peignoir sporting victoria winters is born.[/spoiler]

it will come as no surprise to those here i find her enchanting in this mode but whatevs. [ghost_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 05:13:12 PM »
Bill Malloy first appeared in this episode. [milestone] He will have a MAJOR storyline soon.  [ghost_smiley]

The other times I watched this episode, I thought that the whole thing about Roger knocking on the door at the Evans cottage and then telling Maggie that he rang the bell was a blooper. But now I know that it was NOT a blooper, it was just Roger lying to Maggie. Not all discrepancies on DS are due to bloopers! [ghost_wink]

Vicki and Carolyn are getting pretty chummy. Too bad that won't last, at least in the short term. [ghost_rolleyes]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 05:37:15 PM »
It's nice to relax a bit, and not expect bloopers to cringe around every corner.   I get sympathy pains.   We're not really getting bloopers yet, are we?   Ep #1 was take 3.   Every following ep has been take 1 though, I think.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 06:48:42 PM »
Maybe Elizabeth wants Carolyn to get married young and not be involved in the business because she feels it hasn't brought her happiness to have devoted herself to the business and married late in life.  It was also uncommon for women to be working outside the home. I would think that Elizabeth would have sent Carolyn to school, but I'm guessing she couldn't bear to have her away from home .
I want Roger's Mustang.  I have the 66 coupe that was my Mother's, but to have the fastback!!!
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 07:59:21 PM »
It was also uncommon for women to be working outside the home.

For generations, if not centuries, lots of women have worked outside the home because there was no choice.   They had to eat, and sometimes had to help support kids.   What was rarer was women choosing to have careers which they'd train for, and which they intended to keep, as opposed to just "jobs", which they used to give up when they got married, usually.   Getting good pay was rare too.   Still, professional women were around.   

Carolyn could do anything she wanted, unless her grades were so bad that college was just out of the question.   I doubt there was pressure on rich heiresses to be domestic, or avoid becoming preofessional people, if they wanted.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 10:20:56 PM »
Sure,she could have gotten a job at the very least.  Maggie had to work.  Victoria Winters worked as governess.  Both of my grandmothers worked outside the home (one of them was a career hairdresser).   My mother worked at different jobs after she graduated from high school before settling in one place.  Most of the women we knew had jobs while they were young women not yet married.

Nancy

Carolyn could do anything she wanted, unless her grades were so bad that college was just out of the question.   I doubt there was pressure on rich heiresses to be domestic, or avoid becoming preofessional people, if they wanted.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2011, 09:26:17 PM »
I really love the outside shots.  Just think that they are on the third show, but they haven't even gotten through one day yet. Do we say slow.

It is interesting this is a small town, and things get around really fast. Carolyn could have had her family buy her way into college. She could go for a MRS. degree. :)

Elizabeth did work at home, she was rich enough to have people come to her.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 07:39:50 PM »
[spoiler]certainly by 1968 ordinary plots like the running of a business are sent into oblivion.[/spoiler]

I think by 1968 things having anything to do with normal life were long gone in DS!  I remember, even when watching DS during first run as a young boy, getting the feeling it occurred in some kind of alternate universe where everybody was up wandering through the house or through town most of the night.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 10:51:48 PM »
I remember, even when watching DS during first run as a young boy, getting the feeling it occurred in some kind of alternate universe where everybody was up wandering through the house or through town most of the night.

In nightgowns...