Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0002  (Read 4927 times)

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0002
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 03:14:46 PM »
challenges such as these are daily fare for one with the steel backbone of the Mistress of Collinwood. (!)

And that's exactly what I love about her!

Personally, I think the more rooms the Great House has, the better. I do like the idea of closed-off East and West wings, with the family living in the middle. I don't remember anyone saying there are 65 rooms, but my memory may be faulty.

I doubt Elizabeth ever let anyone else clean the basement and probably reserved that job for herself--while dressed to the nines, of course.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 04:00:13 PM »
Hi Dark Lady,  I think MB meant that Seaview itself has 65 rooms.  I have been there several times... there are a lot of rooms!

G.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 05:02:35 PM »
Ah, I get it--that's the REAL Seaview!  [ghost_cheesy]

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 04:41:00 AM »
to my best of knowledge it stayed with the number of 40 rooms. you know i don't normally think about if they actually Do clean the house like Liz says they do. but i can't see David doing much of anything when it comes to cleaning. his room yes.

but in these early episodes he was kid you just wanted to hit upside the head cause on how much of a little runt to keep it clean he was in these episodes. I can see Carolyn helping out with the house during the day of course. but i can't see Liz doing it cause on how she normally dresses. on how fancy she dresses i mean, i can't see her doing much dusting or

as you said vacumming. sorry for my spelling. Vicki i can see cleaning of course. Roger NEVER i can hear him say i WON"T HAVE ANY OF THAT! or something along those lines. he he. i think it also would have been interesting had they done had more people stay there at least during a sweeps week so those rooms could be filled. but than all of would prolly look the same. cause on how little budget they were able to use per episode. what i'm trying to say is i think it would have been fun to see the house with more people it in at least for a short time.

like have them throw a  party or something. anyways one question what episode does Liz start to wear that key? each time i watch these early episodes i try & pay attention to notice it. but i than get so entranced with the show that
i completely  forget about it!

i also try & pay attention on how many episodes one nite can actually takes place in. an example would be the 1st episode which takes place for a couple of them at the very least. if not a few of them perhaps?

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 04:50:01 PM »
This was the first episode for Joe and Carolyn. [milestone] I sure did feel sorry for Joe while I was watching the scenes of Carolyn dancing at the bar.  [ghost_sad] I don't blame him for getting angry.  [ghost_mad] Carolyn was pretty selfish and immature. She sure could wiggle, though! [ghost_wink]

The first continuity problem happened in this episode. [milestone] Elizabeth told Vicki that Jeremiah was her great-grandfather and that he built Collinwood. But we find out later that that is wrong. [signerror]

I wonder if Joan Bennett REALLY played the piano or if she was just pretending. [ghost_undecided] It was smart of Vicki to not disturb Elizabeth while she was so upset. 

It's fun to watch DS from the beginning and see how the story unfolds, knowing what will happen later on. [ghost_cheesy]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 06:56:04 PM »
First time the announcer says:  Dark Shadows has been a Dan Curtis Production

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 07:51:20 PM »
Thanks, Midnite. That deserves a milestone! [milestone]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 06:04:54 AM »
The first continuity problem happened in this episode.  Elizabeth told Vicki that Jeremiah was her great-grandfather and that he built Collinwood. But we find out later that that is wrong.
I don't think it's fair to state categorically that the continuity problem happened in this episode.  You can argue that it happened when we learn more later.  Or you can argue (or anyway, I certainly can) that the discrepancy we encounter later is not a continuity error but rather a result of events within the Dark Shadows universe.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 06:40:52 AM »
i don't think it's an error at this point. & it shouldn't be counted as that, because i think even the writers & "Dan Curtis" said they lost track on what the hell all went on during the show's run & lost track of what they did in the past. i don't mean storywise i mean stuff like saying

who Liz's Great Great Grand Father was. please put a spoiler on this part, i'd do it but i'm about to head off to bed to be honest & i'm just to tired to do that., anyways during the era i'm on NOW. [spoiler]"Barnabas" tells the story of "Josette"

to "Julia" & says that "Jossette" was married to "Jerimiah" which did later on happen. but the version he said changed not to long after they went back in time.[/spoiler] my point is i just get a kick out of that.

my other point is really this, when writing that episode my guess was that how it was going to be. but they changed it. to me it feels like since i'm sure they talked about what to add to the show.

like all shows do, you'd think they would have paid more attention to what as said by this or that character at least only a month or so before. but to be fair. if you look at any tv show from any era

they make those mistakes as well. anyone ever notice that?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 06:53:11 AM »
B.Collins, the spoiler tags are created for you when you click the button labeled "Sp" in the top row of boxes that are above the white reply window.  Your cursor will already be in place between the two spoiler tags, so all you have to do is start typing your spoilery text.  Hope that helped.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 06:56:21 AM »
i'll try to remember that. i wasn't sure what all had to be spoiled! he he. plus i've never used it before either. now i just hope i can remember what thread i posted that in! he he thank you by the way.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2011, 07:00:53 AM »
You're welcome. [ghost_smiley]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2011, 08:32:55 AM »
Is it wrong that Jerimiah (I saw this spelling once) was in charge of the construction of Collinwood?   I think he had to have gone many generations further back than Liz is saying, so maybe we're meant to think she's leaving out a few "grands"...

As for the changing backstory, if [spoiler]it all had unfolded exactly as it was "supposed" to from all the earlier accounts, wouldn't we the viewers be a bit bored by that?   They probably had that in mind.   Besides, when has history been written in a strictly accurate way, especially when it's a wealthy family writing about its own skeletons... or not?[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2011, 04:39:37 PM »
Jerimiah (I saw this spelling once)

It's on his tombstone.  [ghost_cheesy]

How about the fact that he won't look anything like his portrait?

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2011, 12:30:26 AM »
i think that may have occured to them when he did actually come onto the show. i am curious what they would change if the show was on today though. i'm hoping that along with a great video came that will come to all the various consoles. that we also get a NEW updated tv series out of this. fall of next year! but

have it done by people who love the show  & care about it. & NOT done by people who want to earn an extra buck to milk it to death.  sorry for going off topic for a bit. going back on topic i wonder how many mistakes there actually are. also i've wondered what episode is it that someone farts in?  i'm curious. ya know i'm a HUGE Fan of "Harvey Keitel"  & in i forget what episodes IMDB & tv.com says he's in as a patron in "The Blue Whale' i can honestly NEVER can find him!

it's kinda hard to do so when he had no dialog. plus the fact that trying to look for the guy you loose track of the dialog that IS indeed going on!