Author Topic: OT: Thirty EIGHT years ago tonight!!  (Read 1455 times)

Offline RingoCollins

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
OT: Thirty EIGHT years ago tonight!!
« on: February 09, 2002, 03:02:43 PM »
Originally posted by RingoCollins on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on February 09, 2002 at 09:02:43:

I remember the great series of posts you folk laid out last year on the anniversary of the Fabs first appearance on the Sullivan show! I printed those and they became part of the collection, even my editor got a kick out of that! I know there are some newbies here that didn't 'get the chance' last year to answer: so, What were you doing at 8:00pm 2/9/64? Rarely does the world change so much, all at once, from one single event.

But this last year, we have seen the world change, in many ways. I have read about many of your personal situations, and I am sure many other changes occured in yer lives that didn't get 'posted'. I sure wish I could have been at the 'fest last year to have met you all, and just to have been there, for all the obvious reasons. My own circumstances have changed much too. I know I felt 'the chill' the announcer for the Olympics talked about when they presented Our Flag, and they repeated the end of the National Anthem. I thought about the things that are still important, the losses and the things we have learned and gained, some from another event that singularly changed us again. Somethings won't get 'corrected'. Our friends we lost, the threat we deal with, the uncertain future. George is gone. Many other changes, too.

But I have a better appreciation for those things that are important, the things that give us comfort, give us happiness, that I love dearly. I intend to have my 2/9 ritual of replaying the video tonight, and I am gonna call my dad, and just say 'hi', have a nice dinner with my wife, have a game of tug-o-war with the pooch. Today is kind of a 'holiday'. Mom said 'leaders must be judged by their followers'. Leaders, teach love.

I appreciate you people, and that we can share a love [even if it is for a goofy little wonderful TV show from 30 years ago].

Tell the folks that are important to you that you love them.

Cheers,
Rick
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Re: OT: Thirty EIGHT years ago tonight!!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2002, 08:30:55 PM »
Posted by ROBINV on February 09, 2002 at 14:30:55:
In Reply to: OT: Thirty EIGHT years ago tonight!! posted by RingoCollins on February 09, 2002 at 09:02:43:

I love you, Ringo. Just wanted to say that.

On this date all those years ago tonight, I was 10 years old. I watched Ed Sullivan with my mother and brother, Steve. The latter was a staunch classical music buff, both in listening and playing (piano), that he scoffed at this weird-looking foursome and pronounced them something that would never catch on.

LOL!

He was wrong, of course, and even he eventually became a fan (I still remember listening to the White Album with him, and both of us loving every song on it). I was too young to form a crush on any of the Fab Four, but I thought they were cute, and loved their music right from the start. I still remember an older girl telling me that I was too young for Paul McCartney to love (implying that she was old enough), and I retorted, "And YOU'RE too ugly!"

Only two out of four left now. That's sad. I so admire Paul McCartney for his concern for the firefighters and how he's reached out to help victims of 9/11.

It's become a scarier world in 38 years, Ringo, and I'm glad to know people like you to help make them less so.

Love, Robin

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2002, 10:12:05 PM »
Posted by Birdie on February 09, 2002 at 16:12:05:
In Reply to: OT: Thirty EIGHT years ago tonight!! posted by RingoCollins on February 09, 2002 at 09:02:43:

Hard to believe I remember watching "Ed Sullivan" so well that night. I was seven and the memory is so very clear. Now my kids are older than that. My oldest will be 20 in a few days. My husband is at a hockey game with six eleven year old boys. Another birthday celebration thing. I bet he never guess what he would be doing 38 years later. Just imagine Ringo six little monsters. God Bless the man. Now when you are enjoying a tug of war with your pooch think about that.lol.

Great thoughts.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2002, 11:26:38 PM »
Posted by Bob the Bartender on February 09, 2002 at 17:26:38:

Hey Ringo,

I vividly remember my late father being astounded at the sight of the "long hair" on the Fab Four that night on the Ed Sullivan Show. I guess it's like President Eisenhower once said, "Things are more like they are today, than they've ever been before."

Bob the Bartender, who agrees that the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2002, 02:07:48 PM »
Posted by Ben on February 10, 2002 at 08:07:48:

RingoCollins'
But I have a better appreciation for those things that are important, the things that give us comfort, give us happiness, that I love dearly. I intend to have my 2/9 ritual of replaying the video tonight, and I am gonna call my dad, and just say 'hi', have a nice dinner with my wife, have a game of tug-o-war with the pooch. Today is kind of a 'holiday'. Mom said 'leaders must be judged by their followers'. Leaders, teach love.

Wonderful sentiments, Ringo. I remember my mom and my aunt totally befuddled by the audience hysteria for a bunch of wild, long-haired lightweights. At the time, my six-year-old mind had no reason to doubt them.

Four years later, when I was in fifth grade and starting to get into pop music, I was mesmerized by a couple of awesome records -- "Hello Goodbye" and "Good Day Sunshine" -- and wondered who recorded them. I started getting into Beatles -- first, their hits and later, their albums.

In college, my garage band did a lot of Beatles covers (in addition to Chicago and the Beach Boys). Twenty years later, a third of the tunes done by the bar band I was in were Beatles classics. I loved those richly textured vocal harmonies on "Rain," "Tell Me Why," "And Your Bird Can Sing," and "Please Please Me." I also thought it was neat that I could play the harmonica line on that latter song, as well as the hand-claps on "Eight Days a Week," on my keyboard synthesizer.

In the meantime, I worked out my own solo piano bar arrangements of tunes like "In My Life," "Penny Lane," and most recently, "Here Comes the Sun." I'm now getting a bassist and drummer to work out a jazzy take on "A Hard Day's Night."

So I guess you could say that it was ironic -- and fortunate -- the way things turned out for me in the 38 years following 2/9/64.

Ben

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2002, 04:35:08 AM »
Posted by RingoCollins on February 10, 2002 at 22:35:08:
In Reply to: Re: OT: Thirty EIGHT years ago tonight!! posted by Ben on February 10, 2002 at 08:07:48:

In college, my garage band did a lot of Beatles covers (in addition to Chicago and the Beach Boys).

Me too, and Blue Oyster, Santana, Steppenwolf, ..and actually getting paid for having a ball and pulling the birds.

Twenty years later, ...those richly textured vocal harmonies on "Rain," "Tell Me Why," "And Your Bird Can Sing," and "Please Please Me." >excellent selections< ...hand-claps on "Eight Days a Week," on my keyboard synthesizer.

[cheat, cheat! - you bounder! ;) ]

In the meantime,.."In My Life," "Penny Lane," and most recently, "Here Comes the Sun." I'm now getting a bassist and drummer to work out a jazzy take on "A Hard Day's Night."

Good for you - I play bass in a blues band, and we do a slow bluesy version of 'I'm Down' [a blues song if there ever was one! How can you laugh when you know I'm down?], and a take on 'I Saw Her Standing There' - and if you have Macca's RDR CD, we do a killer [IMHO!!!] 'No Other Baby', with one Ringo Collins on vocals!

carry on!
and tell'em Ringo sent ya!

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2002, 04:40:13 AM »
Posted by RingoCollins on February 10, 2002 at 22:40:13:
In Reply to: Re: OT: Thirty EIGHT years ago tonight!! posted by Bob the Bartender on February 09, 2002 at 17:26:38:

President Eisenhower once said, "Things are more like they are today, than they've ever been before."

I always thought that was Todd Rundgren!!

Bob the Bartender, who agrees that the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Cheers to you and yours, BtB
[now bring me and TLATKLS a fresh drink!] ;)

Ringo [lovin' these little smileys!]

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2002, 04:56:17 AM »
Posted by RingoCollins on February 10, 2002 at 22:56:17:
In Reply to: Re: OT: Thirty EIGHT years ago tonight!! posted by Birdie on February 09, 2002 at 16:12:05:

Just imagine Ringo six little monsters. .... think about that.lol.

brrrrrr!

But I truly admire parents that have chosen to really put the commitment to their kids, like you. My experiences with many adults [not parents] with children is that they try to farm them out, or pay them off, or not make the sacrfices and I sense from all your posts [over several years now!!!] that you and yours do not fall into that category. I have chosen to be 'my only child' and live with what that choice [and it's losses, and advantages] have caused. I do sometimes wonder 'what I am missing' when I read the buzz you have from your family. My mom and dad set a high standard for us, and I do not think I could live up to what the definition of a 'good parent' would be, in my own eyes. Good for you and yours. Keep up the good work, for future generations of DS fans, and Beatle fans!! I've never said EVERYONE should not have kids, just SOME should not. I'll bet when your kids are our age, they will have the great memories of their childhood I have of mine.

Great thoughts.

[like David Collins in a trash compactor][just to get the lump out of my throat! ;)]

Let'em Rock on.

Ringo

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2002, 05:01:02 AM »
Posted by RingoCollins on February 10, 2002 at 23:01:02:
In Reply to: Re: OT: Thirty EIGHT years ago tonight!! posted by ROBINV on February 09, 2002 at 14:30:55:

Love, Robin

Thank you.
Ringo

Freedom

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2002, 01:34:30 PM »
Posted by Birdie on February 11, 2002 at 07:34:30:
In Reply to: Re: OT: Thirty EIGHT years ago tonight!! posted by RingoCollins on February 10, 2002 at 22:56:17:

Thanks for the kind words. Could not agree with you more some people should not be parents. Yiks, do I talk about my family too much! Sorry... I certainly didn't mean to raze you too much about the kid thing. I guess it is a sign of the times how much our lifes have changed since watching The Beatles that fateful night so long ago.
i want you to know how much I enjoy your posts and appreciate your wit.

Birdie--back to ironing and playing with my pooch Miss Bridget
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2002, 11:27:09 AM »
Posted by jennifer on February 13, 2002 at 05:27:09:
In Reply to: Re: OT: Thirty EIGHT years ago tonight!! posted by RingoCollins on February 10, 2002 at 23:01:02:

Thank you Ringo for those wonderful thoughts!
I ,like Birdie, was seven and begged my mother to watch it She let us and little did we know the impact that wonderful group would have on us.through the years music has helped me through some sad times and i feel the Beatles had the most influence(along with Don H)It was wonderful to see Paul M. at the superbowl(but Terry B shouldn't ever sing again!)
Thank you for helping us remember those wonderful times and it is nice to go "back in time" to rewatch a 30 year show when these days it is hard to watch the current events shown on news!
jennifer
bought the white CCD(if i call it album my 11 year says "What is that"?) for my daughter and she loves it
another generation still enjoys the Fab 4!! gotta love it!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV