Author Topic: Facebook and Dark Shadows  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Facebook and Dark Shadows
« on: June 16, 2011, 07:08:32 AM »
I’ve only been on Facebook a few times, mostly when I found out about something I wanted to read there.  I’ve been hesitant to “friend” or accept “friendship” offers until I could be sure how the privacy settings work, and I never seem to have enough time to explore and find out about it.  From time to time I get an e-mail reminding me that I haven’t been there for a while and that I have some friend requests.

So, today I happened to click on the link and it provided a whole bunch of names and pictures of people I might know.  Some WERE of people I know, but I assume they are just picking these up from my e-mail and I really don’t know how they get into one’s e-mail.  A family I do work for and there’s a whole mailing list of all the children and their spouses, all of them were there.  Some other names I recognized as relatives of theirs or people they know were also there.  Perhaps once it has one person it suggests a bunch of the people they know.

It also had some Dark Shadows stuff.  I can’t figure out how it would know that I participate in a Dark Shadows forum.  I find it a bit creepy that it can come up with all of that and now I’m more leery than ever!

Anyway, they suggested Robin Vogel, Mark Rainey, Fran Robert and Nancy Kersey.

There were also Christopher Pennock, Kathryn L. Scott (a really nice picture of her!), Donna McKechnie, Terrayne Crawford, and Seymour Tomashoff.

But what really boggled my mind were Daphne Harridge, Nicholas Blair and Carolyn Stoddard, along with pictures of them (from the original series, of course)!!!

Josette

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook and Dark Shadows
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 07:16:42 AM »
I can see why you might be hesitant to accept a “friendship” offer from Nicholas Blair.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 01:13:32 PM »
Sounds like information overload, for one thing.  I forget how I disabled e-mails to me from FB, but maybe if you look around on your FB page you can find it.   You should only have to deal with FB when you choose to go there, and when you go there, it should be relaxing and you should just do what you want, and not feel all sorts of obligations.

Aren't privacy settings mainly so non-FB-friends can't see your personal information?   I think if you accept a friend request, the privacy goes, except that you can individualize privacy settings on photo folders, say, so that only specific people can see them.

"People You Might Know" is an automated thing that hovers in the right hand margin of your page, which I've learned to ignore.   The name of Ruth Buzzi from Laugh-In appeared once!   I find they're just looking at who I'm already FB friends with, and pulling random names from their friends lists.   It's a bit disturbing that they pulled names out of your e-mails. 

I suppose I'm not being helpful.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 01:51:42 PM »
Yes, you can set the privacy settings to determine who sees your posts, including friends of friends or if you want, only the friends you accepted.  I have mine set on friends only can see my posts.

Facebook makes the suggestions based on the friends of your friends (that you have accepted as FB friends) and those with similar interests.  I don't think there is a way to turn that feature off but you can either accept the suggestion or not. 

I have had several people with fictitious names (of DS characters) send me friendship requests on FB.  When I ask them who they are, they refuse to tell me.  So I don't friend them. 

Nancy

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 12:26:03 AM »
There's a really nice Facebook page for the "Thayer David Fan Club." It's maintained by a nephew of Thayer's. 

In general, I find Facebook an ass-ache.  They keep trying to "improve" it.  You know which way such endeavors lead.

The idea of a shark-toothed Nicholas Blair offering "friendship" reminds me of a certain seen in which Carolyn Stoddard informed him, "We are a very old, very formal family, Mr. Blair."  She wielded "the freeze" almost as adeptly as her dear sainted Mother at that moment.  Gotta love it.

G.

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 01:10:35 AM »
there are also pages and groups where you can post to and those people who aren't your friends can reply to what you post but they will only see what you allow (via security setting) if they try to go to your page.

I am the admin for https://www.facebook.com/#!/CentralFlaDarkShadows The Central FLA Dark Shadows Fan Club

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 11:17:20 PM »
But what really boggled my mind were Daphne Harridge, Nicholas Blair and Carolyn Stoddard, along with pictures of them (from the original series, of course)!!!

lolol that's funny  [ghost_cheesy]

Patti
What a Woman!