Author Topic: DS Festival 2003  (Read 9765 times)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: DS Festival 2003
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2002, 12:35:22 PM »
For those city-hoppers that like to make trips around the city and see sites and visit restaurants, the Brooklyn location is going to be quite a hassle. Much too expensive to taxi back and forth and the subway ride is prohibitive in length...

I'm sure the other in-city venues were tried, but the prices were probably way too high. A shame as the Marriott in times square is perfectly located.

My one question and suggestion for the fest is- Why no con-suite? Almost every other convention I've been to has one- a two-room suite with complimentary drinks and pot luck food, that is specifically used for socializing with other fans and relaxing between scheduled events. There is a fan-meeting room, usually, but its fairly formal in design, almost always empty and devoid of munchies, couches and comfortable chairs...

Certainly would give people something to do during downtimes (especially those commuting just for the day) and might help some newbies make a few friends...

Just a thought.

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2002, 02:42:07 PM »

Well, if I go, I won't really know anyone there either.
Maybe those of us who don't know anybody should all get together and form one of those infamous "cliques" we heard about recently.  LOL

LOL.  I thought that was funny.  I think it would be fun to talk to real fans.

I just check out the webpage of the hotel...Looks nice, I have seem better rooms however, I just recently stay at a five star hotel in Cincinnati (My first)...and belive me it was a great room for one bed.  

But I am not to worry about the rooms!!  Hello I never been to New York and Dark Shadows and my b-day is like a week later.  HELLO Birthday Gift!!
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2002, 04:46:51 PM »

[shckd] Drive to BROOKLYN?!!
You'd have to book me in the same room with John Karlen to get me to DRIVE to Brooklyn! ::)
Raineypark

BROOKLYN?!   And, I was thinking of driving down this year, too!  I'm with Rainey--I'd want special privileges to get me to go to Brooklyn.

With all the conveniences near Times Square, why choose a hotel out of the way of everything?
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2002, 05:28:44 PM »
Not thrilled with the Brooklyn thing.  I was truly hoping it would be a the Marquis.  I like the idea of it being hosted in Newport.  Of course that is just a dream.  Just wondering if that has ever been looked into?  It would be a wonderful place to have it.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2002, 07:05:22 PM »
 I like the idea of it being hosted in Newport.  Of course that is just a dream.  Just wondering if that has ever been looked into?  It would be a wonderful place to have it.
Birdie

I have only been to Newport once but I think it would be a beautiful location.  I would love to take tours of some of the old mansions.
    My husband and I stayed at a place called "The Admiral Ben Bow Inn".  I would not recommend it but it was a beautiful place just non-existant service.  The staff all left the guests alone and the next morning we had to make our own breakfast.  There was absolutely no staff on the property.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2002, 10:19:28 PM »

My one question and suggestion for the fest is- Why no con-suite? Almost every other convention I've been to has one- a two-room suite with complimentary drinks and pot luck food, that is specifically used for socializing with other fans and relaxing between scheduled events. There is a fan-meeting room, usually, but its fairly formal in design, almost always empty and devoid of munchies, couches and comfortable chairs...

Certainly would give people something to do during downtimes (especially those commuting just for the day) and might help some newbies make a few friends...

Just a thought.

I think that is a great idea!Throw in a bottle of wine and I'm there.
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2002, 11:36:28 PM »
As far as I know the Con Suite was for the actors and anyone speaking on a panel or for the volunteer party.  I don't think it has ever been for just any fan to walk into.

My one question and suggestion for the fest is- Why no con-suite? Almost every other convention I've been to has one- a two-room suite with complimentary drinks and pot luck food, that is specifically used for socializing with other fans and relaxing between scheduled events. There is a fan-meeting room, usually, but its fairly formal in design, almost always empty and devoid of munchies, couches and comfortable chairs....

"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2002, 11:48:45 PM »
Aw----Brooklyn isn't so bad!! I can't wait to go. I've never been able to attend a Fest in the past. Needless to say, I wouldn't care where it was------I'm there! BTW. I don't know anyone either. But, what the heck!!

Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2002, 11:52:50 PM »
i too may end up going alone and would love to
plan somewhere to meet!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2002, 12:52:39 AM »
Not thrilled with the Brooklyn thing.

Not thrilled with having to get there on Friday, my kid's birthday is the day before. Maybe I will sleep on the flight from Las Vegas so I can get some rest before the Festival. I will dream of Craig Slocum.  
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2002, 02:28:35 AM »
Not thrilled with having to get there on Friday, my kid's birthday is the day before. Maybe I will sleep on the flight from Las Vegas so I can get some rest before the Festival. I will dream of Craig Slocum.

Sweet Dreams Cheryl[sleep]

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2002, 02:35:34 AM »
Not thrilled with the Brooklyn thing.  I was truly hoping it would be a the Marquis.  I like the idea of it being hosted in Newport.  Of course that is just a dream.  Just wondering if that has ever been looked into?  It would be a wonderful place to have it.  

Birdie

i know birdie but such a nice dream but luckily NY is not that much further and i'm really looking forward to seeing it again !been a long time for me!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2002, 02:41:48 AM »

Thanks Jennifer!

Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2002, 06:07:55 AM »
Glad to see that several of you are planning to attend.  The SG update did mention that the hotel is located at the first Brooklyn stop after leaving Manhattan, so the ride shouldn't be TOO bad.  I have very little knowledge of Brooklyn, except for the Brooklyn Academy of Music, so perhaps this will force me to do the research and learn to get around the borough.

Of course, the location won't keep me from seeing the sights of Manhattan.  Here's hoping that "Dance of the Vampires" will still be playing (unless it already closed and I missed the news...).  And of course, there's always "Chicago," which I highly recommend to anyone looking to see a first-rate Broadway show.

Looking forward to 2003!

Regards,

John

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2002, 09:00:02 PM »
Glad to see that several of you are planning to attend.  The SG update did mention that the hotel is located at the first Brooklyn stop after leaving Manhattan, so the ride shouldn't be TOO bad.  
John

Accoring to Yahoo Maps. The Hotel is only about 5.5 miles for 42nd and Broadway in Times Square. Below is the trip maker it provided me with.
Directions  Miles    
1.  Start on ADAMS ST/BROOKLYN BRIDGE BLVD  0.4  
2.  Continue on BROOKLYN BRG  1.2  
3.  Continue on RAMP  0.1  
4.  Continue on CENTRE ST  0.1  
5.  Continue on CENTRE ST/FOLEY SQ  0.1  
6.  Continue on CENTRE ST  0.2  
7.  Turn Left on CANAL ST  0.6  
8.  Turn Right on HUDSON ST  0.9  
9.  Continue on 8TH AVE  0.0  
10.  Continue on 8TH AVE/ABINGDON SQ  0.1  
11.  Continue on 8TH AVE  1.0