Author Topic: OT: Power To The People  (Read 800 times)

Offline Minja

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
OT: Power To The People
« on: February 09, 2002, 12:31:47 AM »
Originally posted by Minja on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on February 08, 2002 at 18:31:47:

Doin' the happy dance here! Yesterday evening we got our power back! YeeHah! It took the electricians from 10 am to 5 pm to reinstall the breaker box in the garage, the meter, and all the wiring! It looks so shiny and new on our old house! But at 5, when the generator just had run out of gas...they were done! Talk about perfect timing! After 9 days without full power to our house, (the generator had enough load with the furnace and a few other amenities) it was sooo nice to do laundry and cook a hot meal! Never thought I'd go ga-ga over chores! :) Being warm in every room of the house is the most wonderful thing of all!

Thanks to all the well wishers! Hey Bob The Bartender! Yes I am very glad we don't have hurricanes! That would be a real drag since we have the potential for all the other wraths that Mother Nature can dole out! Like floods, tornados, drought, and believe it or not...earthquakes! A few years back, a very small earthquake cracked sidewalks and parts of streets and committed wacky hijinx on a small office building on the Kansas side of the city. I checked out the seismographic website and found that there be a lot of faults running under our fair city! Makes me wonder what the chain reaction would be if the New Madrid fault in south eastern Missouri decided to tear loose! Hmmm, OK, we are safe from avalanches and hopefully volcanoes as well as hurricanes. Ah, well, just a way of life here in the heartland. We keep a watchful eye on the Weather Channel and carry on.

Well, gonna surf on and see what I've missed! YeeHah!
I GOT THE POWER!

Always, Minja
Happy to be packing all the flashlights and candles away!
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline ReneeC

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: OT: Power To The People
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2002, 01:39:59 AM »
Posted by Renee on February 08, 2002 at 19:39:59:
In Reply to: Re: OT: Power To The People posted by Ren981 on February 08, 2002 at 19:33:17:

Hi Minja!!! I am so glad you have your power back!!! It has been a tough week or so here in KC. We were only down for 15 hours or so, I can only imagine how cold it was! we built a fire while we were out and it was still cold!! Anyway i am glad you are back in business,And i dont even want to think about any other natural disasters!! Take care
Renee

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2002, 02:44:54 AM »
Posted by kuanyin on February 08, 2002 at 20:44:54:
In Reply to: Re: OT: Power To The People posted by Ren981 on February 08, 2002 at 19:33:17:

Yes, if I don't see another candle for a while, that will be fine with me! I'm a little nervous about the storm predicted for tomorrow too.

So happy to hear your good news! I am SO looking forward to this weekend, I felt robbed of the last one!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2002, 04:30:38 AM »
Posted by Josette on February 08, 2002 at 22:30:38:
In Reply to: OT: Power To The People posted by Minja on February 08, 2002 at 18:31:47:

I meant to commiserate with you and Kuanyin the other day - I can't imagine how you managed without power, especially the heat, for so long. I'm so glad it's finally all fixed!

Josette
Josette