Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1228  (Read 959 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1228
« on: June 01, 2011, 11:00:14 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1228
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 02:01:02 AM »
The overlap scene was shortened substantially.  ***  Other people are just shadows they hurt each other with... very interesting idea, well said.   I wonder if Bramwell had this solipsism consciously in his head when he proposed to Daphne: "This doesn't really count; she's just a shadow."  ***  "There never was a Morgan."   !!!

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 06:12:31 AM »
Five couples: Justin and Flora, Morgan and Catherine, Bramwell and Daphne, Kendrick and Melanie, and Bramwell and Catherine.  All of them different and interesting.

Justin went into the Room ten years ago, so I figure Flora had at least fifteen years of marriage with him before he became a different person.  She had at least fifteen years to solidify her position at Collinwood, she had three sons with Justin, and she was no longer young by the time she lost Justin to the Room.

Catherine's position is quite different from what Flora's was.  She's new to the house and new to the concept of the Room, and she is the beneficiary of a sacrifice that she never asked her husband to make for her.  Of course she feels guilty that Morgan sacrificed himself for her - but I imagine a big part of her is thinking, "I was going to destroy that so-called Curse, and Morgan wrecked everything!"

I shouldn't feel sorry for Daphne, but I do.  She walked into her marriage knowing Bramwell couldn't be over Catherine yet, but, as she said, she wanted it so very much.  This might have been her only opportunity to make it happen, and, although I daresay DarkLady will disagree with me, I think Daphne had a reasonable chance of making the marriage work, if only Catherine hadn't dropped that baby bombshell on Bramwell within hours of Bramwell's and Daphne's wedding.  If it hadn't been for that, Bramwell might well have stayed angry with Catherine long enough for Daphne to establish some rhythms and routines in the marriage - enough for things not to go spectacularly bad spectacularly soon.

Kendrick thinks Melanie couldn't have killed Stella.  I think he's wrong, and I also think he doesn't know as much as we do about the murder.  As far as we know, only three people knew Stella was locked up in the Tower room: Flora, Julia, and Melanie.  At this point, in dramatic terms, any one of them could have done it, and we could get a satisfyingly shattering dénouement.  (I want to see Julia confessing!)  Or we could find out that somebody completely unexpected witnessed Flora, Julia, and Melanie coming out of the Tower room and came back later to murder Stella.  But in terms of cold logic, the most likely murderer is Melanie.  Kendrick's just believing what he wants to believe.  As I said yesterday, Kendrick's not all that bright.  If he and Melanie marry, I think Melanie is going realize someday that she's smarter than her husband, assuming she doesn't kill him first.  It would be interesting to see her dealing with that realization.

Bramwell and Catherine.  Just throw them both off of Widows Hill, OK?  I still adore Bramwell, but they're neither of them civilized enough to live.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
Interesting posts by both MT and Lydia!

although I daresay DarkLady will disagree with me, I think Daphne had a reasonable chance of making the marriage work, if only Catherine hadn't dropped that baby bombshell on Bramwell within hours of Bramwell's and Daphne's wedding.

Well, actually I don't disagree with you. I do feel sorry for Daphne. I think she is one of those women who think they can change a man once they're married. Her youth and naivete are no help either. When I first saw 1840PT (back in SciFi days), I was hoping that somehow Daphne could persuade Bramwell to at least notice her. But once she sees Bramwell and Catherine in the gazebo, I think she realizes she hasn't got a prayer. And the more I think of it, the more I'm inclined to believe that their marriage has not been consummated.

I also think that Melanie did kill Stella during one of her possessed episodes. If Brutus is running that show, he is cruel indeed. Kendrick seems remarkably forgiving, but I suppose the writers had to move the plot along.

I know it's probably morally degenerate of me, but I find Bramwell's declaration to Catherine particularly swoony: You are remarkably generous with the rest of your life, considering it belongs to me! Every moment you live is mine, just as every breath I take is yours!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 09:45:57 AM »
Bramwell and Catherine.  Just throw them both off of Widows Hill, OK?  I still adore Bramwell, but they're neither of them civilized enough to live.

I find Bramwell's declaration to Catherine particularly swoony

I keep thinking about the correlation between swoony and uncivilized and I keep coming up with Andrew Marvell’s To His Coy Mistress:

Let us roll all our strength [that’s uncivilizedness] and all
Our sweetness [that’s swooniness] up into one ball,
And tear our pleasures with rough strife [pleasures and rough strife – yup, that’s Bramwell and Catherine]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 11:52:44 AM »
Very apropos!