Author Topic: can someone please explain amanda harris?  (Read 3672 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
can someone please explain amanda harris?
« on: May 29, 2011, 01:52:40 PM »
i've been rewatching 1897 after some years...

i've recently gotten to the amanda harris intro and for the life of me i don't understand why this character came into existence. the storyline's nearly over. quentin is in love with beth but engaged to angelique. the dramatic potential right there is enough. but all of a sudden out of the blue comes this character and all of that gets shoved aside.

angelique gets sidelined. poor beth gets written into the margins. and we're just supposed to accept this "love" because the writers put it into the scripts. does anyone know what was up with this storyline development?

and not since poor betsy durkin's DS tenure has an actress been so miscast. donna mckechnie is a sweet lady and very pretty but just wrong for this part(and this show for that matter). she has zero chemistry with david selby and her teleprompter readings are just brutal.

what's up with this character?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: can someone please explain amanda harris?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 04:50:30 PM »
Like death and taxes, the banality that is Amanda Harris will always be with us.  Alas and alack.

Let's all chant together:  "QuuuuuuuuWWWWeNNNTINNNN!"

cheers, G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 05:19:49 PM »
what i don't get is WHY?

the time period is 3/4 over. why introduce a major new character and storyline so late in the game?

and really. with laura and jenny and beth and angelique and charity/pansy hasn't quentin had enough lady admireres for one storyline. he's a player. WE GET IT.

another loathsome byproduct of the amanda plot is that it brings forth charles delaware tate in his full mouth foaming glory. this has been discussed here ad nauseum but the anger and belligerence roger davis brings to ALL his characterizations is truly awe-inspiring. [ghost_tongue]

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 05:38:17 PM »
DC probably wanted to pad the 1897 storyline more, as the ratings were the highest ever, so he had the writers create a new character and start a romance.  1897 should have been over by this point.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 05:41:33 PM »
I've never actually heard anything about what the thinking was as to why Amanda was brought aboard. In the past, actors like Craig Slocum were hired because someone (in his case DC's wife) had seen them in a play and thought they'd make a great addition to the show and in his case it certainly makes one question DC's wife's taste  [ghost_wink]). But who knows...

One theory could be that Amanda was originally brought aboard to help to flesh out CDT's plot since he "created" her and she was initially tied to Quentin and Tim to create conflict. But then things changed in the writers' minds and/or DC's mind and she became more significant in Quentin's life than she ever was in CDT's. It wouldn't have been the first time a character was brought in with one idea in mind only to work out completely differently. (And it certainly wasn't the first or last time an RD character had to be brought aboard because DC loved RD so much.  [ghost_rolleyes])

Other than that, I have nothing.  [ghost_grin]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 07:54:20 PM »
DC probably wanted to pad the 1897 storyline more, as the ratings were the highest ever, so he had the writers create a new character and start a romance.  1897 should have been over by this point.

i so agree...

at this point it's all i can do to keep my finger off the fast-forward button i'm so tired of 1897. the only thing making it bearable for me is julia's appearance in the time period(exit magda, thank you very much)but otherwise i'm OVER it.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 12:55:42 PM »
The last time I watched 1897 was during the Watching Project nearly two years ago.  What I remember is that I liked the theory of the pairing of Quentin and Amanda.  Both of them are disconnected from the everyday four-score-and-ten world because of Petofi's gift to Tate.  When they first hook up, neither of them knows that the other is affected in this way, but apparently each sensed something different in the other.  I don't remember having any problem with chemistry or lack thereof.

I daresay the writers were looking ahead past 1897 to the return to the 1969, and the Amanda Harris subplot was all about setting up something for Quentin to do when he got there.  This seems completely unnecessary to me, because I would have liked to see Quentin more fully involved in the Leviathan storyline, but that's all I can figure.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 02:27:18 PM »
interesting thought lydia about the writers giving quentin a ready-made plot when he inevitably showed up in the present.

although if i recall poor olivia/amanda wasn't cold in her grave before quentin started obsessing over daphne.

Offline Nightfall59

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 02:55:24 PM »
although if i recall poor olivia/amanda wasn't cold in her grave before quentin started obsessing over daphne.

I tend to be a little vague about actual airdates, but I'm pretty sure the Amanda/Olivia story was in '69 and Ghost Daphne didn't show up until 1970. It's always kind of amused me that Quentin went from being such a horndog in 1897, with multiple women throwing themselves at him, to virtually dateless in the present time frame.  Between Olivia and Daphne, there was only that brief, and soon forgotten, plot point of Angelique love spelling Maggie into Quentin's arms.  [ghost_cheesy]

"Not without you. NEVER without you."
Barnabas to Julia, 1970

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 06:40:33 PM »
Like Michael Stroka, and others, Donna McKechnie listened a bit too much to directors telling her to over-pronounce and over-emote.   She's somewhat irritating to listen to for that reason.  I don't buy that her 1897 stint was just a set-up for her return in 1969/70 though, because the 1897 stretch of story is far more interesting and thought-out than 1969/70.

I really enjoy more-worldy, jaded, cynical, revenge-driven Tim showing up in town again, dragging a semi-floosy with him whom he intends to throw at Trask, to give Trask the needed rope to hang himself.   That's all the reason or explanation you need for Amanda.   I enjoy her poor-soul-in-search-of-salvation act, I like how she sees through Gregory in half a second, and I like her report to Shaw about it...

As for Amanda and Quentin, DS is not about happy endings and nice people (like Beth) triumphing in the end.... and Q choosing to waste his second chance ast life obsessing on Amanda, someone he has zero in common with, has nothing to talk about with, with whom he just has a vague but overpowering romantic feeling, is entirely in keeping with the unfair world of DS.   Partly, Amanda and Q get together to drive Beth over the edge, literally.   Q does not appreciate those who care about him, and Q and Beth going off into the sunset just would not happen.   If Q survives, Beth can't.   There has to be tragedy, and Q must cause damage, or he's not Q.

Amanda in the 1969/70 limbo zone is insufferable.  
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 07:06:42 PM »
Excellent analysis, Magnus.  [thumbleft]  And how quickly I forget about the whole Tim/Trask angle.  :-[

And you're really very close to being completely right, Nightfall59 - Amanda bites the dust (literally [ghost_wink]) in Leviathan's Ep #934, which originally aired on 1/22/70, and Quentin doesn't meet Daphne until Summer of '70 Ep #1077, which originally aired on 8/11/70.  [ghost_smiley]

As for 1897, I know I'm not alone in wishing it had actually lasted longer than it did, though I can also completely understand why the fans who prefer the present day stories wouldn't feel that way. However, I honestly like both the past and the present stories. Eventually I do miss the present day characters when the stories sift to the past. But at the same time I really enjoy seeing the actors get to play different characters in the past. And with 1897 I can honestly say I never missed the present day characters, probably because it features what is quite possibly the best set of characters (with a few exceptions) of almost any DS storyline - plus the dialogue positively crackles.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 07:19:04 PM »
Amanda bites the dust (literally [ghost_wink])

LOL

in Leviathan's Ep #934, which originally aired on 1/22/70,

A date of tremendous repute.  [ghost_grin]

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 08:02:23 PM »
Amanda in the 1969/70 limbo zone is insufferable.
Bimbo zone, did you say?  [ghost_grin]

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 08:08:06 PM »
 [laughing4]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 08:39:43 PM »
 [stfl]