Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1225  (Read 1333 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1225
« on: May 28, 2011, 01:12:28 AM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1225
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 02:15:24 AM »
In the VO, Jonathan says that the family itself could end.   Later, Melanie shouts: "Everyone in this house is destined to die!!"   You know, this time it could really happen.   For once, there are no recurring or main characters who must survive for the series to go on.   They may no longer be counting on the series to continue at this point.   We could end up with a houseful of silence and unburied Collinses.   We could even have a vengeful Brutus destroying the town.   It would be worse than with RT Gerard in 1970.   They do like as many deaths as they can get away with, at ends of storylines....

Hi Louis!  My you're looking transparent these days!   Does Kendrick have a job?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 03:15:40 PM »
Wow, what gorgeous shots of Julia on the Robs page.  Love the one where she's reading Forsythe's beads, and then the one at the episode climax where Kendrick is finally having it out with dear old hoist-on-her-own-petard Aunt J.

Fabulous work, MB!

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 03:27:30 PM »
Grayson has such an expressive face that it's not hard to find screen caps that completely capture what sort of emotions her characters are trying to convey.  [ghost_wink]

One of my absolutely favorite moments in this ep, if not the entire storyline is very near the end when an angry Julia positively insists Kendrick must get out of Collinwood - but then when she opens the drawing room doors and sees a possessed Melanie coming down the stairs rambling on about how death is the only answer, she quickly closes the doors and does a complete 180 and tells Kendrick that perhaps they can talk some more. Priceless.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 05:53:03 PM »
Yes, I love that scene at the end where Julia suddenly gets all polite on Kendrick and it doesn't work anyway--because she smiles at him, and Julia Collins never smiles at anybody.

Although Julia has her faults, I thought it was very brave of her to wait with the unconscious James/Morgan while Carrie (in her cute little nightgown and nightcap) goes to get help. Brutus could have rematerialized at any moment. But if J/M locked Carrie in her own room, why didn't she get dressed while she was in there?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 05:12:33 AM »
I adore that scene too, MB--that whole little sequence.  Maybe my favorite moment in the entire storyline of PT 1841.

G.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 01:12:31 PM »
What sweetness John Karlen is capable of expressing!  I don't think of him that way at all - but there it is.

Melanie says Con-cord, while Kendrick says Conkerd like me and like everybody I know, except for those who say Concud.  I expected Julia to say Conkerd but she said Con-cord.  I sure that Flora, if she ever says the word, will say Con-cord.

Julia desperately asks questions of James Forsythe, and he refuses to answer.  Kendrick asks questions of Julia, and she refuses to answer.  Somewhere there must be somebody asking questions of Kendrick that he refuses to answer.  Or maybe not.  Maybe a daisy chain isn't the right picture for this.  Maybe I should be thinking about focal points and force fields, about Julia just being the center of all tension.  I'd say she's the eye of the storm, but there is sunshine at the eye of the storm, and I don't see it in Julia.  If somebody dropped Julia off Widow's Hill, would the Room suddenly become a place of happiness and light?

Finally Kendrick is presented with the fact that Melanie is not entirely the sweet, innocent creature that she seems to be.  I expected him to ask Julia, "What have you done to Melanie?" but was pleased to note that he did not immediately assume that it was all Julia's fault.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 04:48:16 PM »
Yes, the sweetness of the Kendrick-Melanie love story is the perfect antidote for all of the Wuthering Heights storm and stress of the Bramwell-Catherine story.

I know someone who actually lives in Concord, Massachusetts and who assures me that the correct pronounction is closest to Con-kerd. This is how Kendrick pronounces it. He's just come back from three days there--and I'm sure neither Julia nor especially Melanie has been within fifty miles of the place. So I think we can safely assume that Kendrick probably learned the proper pronunciation from the natives.

I also think that Kendrick figures Julia has already done more than enough to Melanie without turning her into a murderess.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 06:21:10 PM »
As soon as I realized I was saying "conquered" instead of Concord, I started pronouncing it as it's spelled.   I was born in Syracuse, which everyone there pronounces "Sara-cuse" instead of "Seer-a-cuse" (as the world outside pronounces it, and as the "y" would indicate).   I go with the latter.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 07:11:02 AM »
As soon as I realized I was saying "conquered" instead of Concord, I started pronouncing it as it's spelled.   I was born in Syracuse, which everyone there pronounces "Sara-cuse" instead of "Seer-a-cuse" (as the world outside pronounces it, and as the "y" would indicate).   I go with the latter.   

How interesting!  The world outside doesn't necessarily say "Seer-a-cuse."  I always hear sports announcers saying "Sara-cuse" and it drives me crazy.  I keep wondering how they would get that pronunciation from the spelling.  I had no idea it was the "native" pronunciation!!
Josette

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 11:58:58 AM »
I keep wondering how they would get that pronunciation from the spelling.  I had no idea it was the "native" pronunciation!!

(Weirdest example I know of":  Bellefontaine, Ohio, which is pronounced by locals as "Bell Fountain", which is so different from the spelling that you just sort of have to go witrh them on this, or you're not even talking about the same place...  The town shows up in a WC Fields movie, but is pronounced as it's spelled.   Done being OT now, sorry!)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 04:02:51 PM »
I keep forgetting to post that during the '97 showing of this ep, Sci-Fi ran an ad with Lara Parker hawking the Fest's 1998 Calendar: