Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1214  (Read 810 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1214
« on: May 12, 2011, 10:40:04 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1214
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 01:01:02 AM »
Who's Melanie channelling? [spoiler]A good other ghost...[/spoiler] No one at C'wood seem to know or care whether their family tormentor can hear them talking and planning.

Oh no!  Call in the Collinwood body disposal team, we've got another one!!   [spoiler]Braithewaite[/spoiler] looked a lot like Gabriel.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 11:44:01 AM »
Magnus, you're mentioning what is learned in a subsequent episode.  At this point, it remains a possibility that the Room has gotten bored with death and insanity, and has decided to turn to shape-shifting.

I was surprised to see Catherine declare her love for Morgan in the drawing room, after all the ugliness that we've seen in him.  But she's seen less of it than we have, and now that she's married to him, she might as well try to make the best of a bad bargain.

As Julia and Morgan stood outside the Room, I thought to myself that this was not the first time that Julia has waited outside while a family member went into the room.  She remembers when her brother Justin went in ten years ago, and she remembers living through that night.  By the way, every time the voiceover says that somebody goes into the Room once every generation, I think: "Ten years is not a generation."  All I can figure is that there had been a longer time than usual between Justin's Room night and the night that the previous person went in.

Suddenly, seeing the names Justin and Morgan together in what I just wrote, Justin Morgan Had a Horse popped into my head.  Justin Morgan was a real person.  Were the writers thinking of him when they named those two characters?

The scene between Bramwell and Catherine was utterly convincing.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 01:26:19 PM »
Maybe it is a generation only if someone dies after spending the night in the room.  If someone lives, then it is held after that person dies?

They said William Collins was in the room prior to Justin.  Perhaps he was an uncle of Justin & Julia.

In a copy of a fan magazine at the time, it said Julia Collins was to be a widow.  I guess they didn't want to have both elder members of the family be Collins-by-marriage.  She could have been married to PT Daniel if they went the original way!

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 02:26:02 PM »
Episode 1214; or, The Long Night of Practically Everybody

The scene between Bramwell and Catherine is one of the highlights of the entire series. Amazing work by both!

Poor Julia--this night must have been a sad replay for her. And it must have been even worse for Flora, who saw what her husband became and now has to endure waiting for her youngest son.

Ten years isn't a generation--true. But I think the Room doesn't care about how many years it's been, just that whenever the previous Room person dies, the next generation has to go, even though it's been only ten years since Justin's turn. But then again, if the generational thing were strictly the case, then Julia and Flora would be disqualified and it really would be up to Morgan, Quentin and Gabriel--and Catherine too if she got her way. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to try to hold the Collins Universe to any kind of consistency.

And poor Melanie, possession, the plague, and delirium too!