Author Topic: Nominees-Most Poignant Moments on DS  (Read 4459 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Nominees-Most Poignant Moments on DS
« on: February 07, 2002, 04:48:37 PM »
Originally posted by Julia99 on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on February 07, 2002 at 10:48:37:

Let's start a list of scenes that were the most touching and heartbreaking in the series, too wherein the actors were RIGHT ON that day.. here are my nominees:

[spoiler]1. Sarah finally appearing to Barnabas as he strangles Julia (for the last time, amen.)
2. Chris J finally goes to see his little sister Amy at Wyndcliffe
3. B & J are tossed from 1970PT to 1995 and both lament the lack of love in their respective lives.[/spoiler]

And. . more nominations??

J99
Julia99

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Nominees-Most Poignant Moments on DS
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2002, 07:53:24 PM »
Posted by Luciaphil on February 07, 2002 at 13:53:24:
In Reply to: Nominees-Most Poignant Moments on DS posted by Julia99 on February 07, 2002 at 10:48:37:

Let's start a list of scenes that were the most touching and heartbreaking in the series, too wherein the actors were RIGHT ON that day.. here are my nominees:

[spoiler]1. Roger goes to David's room after Laura has burned to death in the fishing shack. Both Edmonds and Henesy were spot on and it was a moment of rare emotion between the two characters.

2. Joshua realizing what has happened to his son, and ultimately to his family.

3. This one may seem a bit strange, but what the heck. Jason is trying to get Willie out of town and Willie asks him plaintively, "What's gonna happen to me?" He realizes, although Jason does not, that he's lost all control over his life and his destiny. It's sort of oddly prophetic.[/spoiler]

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2002, 07:59:05 PM »
Posted by Julian on February 07, 2002 at 13:59:05:
In Reply to: Nominees-Most Poignant Moments on DS posted by Julia99 on February 07, 2002 at 10:48:37:

[spoiler]Also in the 1995 story, when Julia is beginning to feel possessed by Gerard, she tells Barnabas to go on without her. He refuses and tells her "Never without you." I thought some of the scenes between Julia and Barnabas during that story were the most poignant and best acted of the series.

Some other scenes I thought very poignant were when Quentin's ghost drives everyone out of the house. Louis Edmonds and Joan Bennett have a wonderful scene as they leave the house together and then the episode ends with the camera panning around the empty house.[/spoiler]

Re strangling Julia, Grayson Hall should have gotten combat pay. In 1897, Magda is manhandled a great deal as well - Quentin is always grabbing her and I think she gets slapped pretty hard by Aristede.

Trace

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2002, 08:51:48 PM »
Posted by Trace on February 07, 2002 at 14:51:48:

[spoiler]1. Maggie and Joe--when they realize that it's over between them. To me, this is one of the most poignant scenes of the entire series. Talk about victims of circumstance. KLS and Joel Crothers were right on the money and made you really believe the characters still loved each other, and always would!

2. Carolyn and Jeb. For all his evil deeds, when he realized he wanted to remain a human more than anything else so he could be with Carolyn, you couldn't help wishing he could. And, the way he'd grab her head and hold her like he could never let her go....

3. From 1841PT, any scene where the Collins family treated Melanie like dirt. My heart used to ache for her. And Nancy Barrett conveyed that character's feelings of loneliness to perfection![/spoiler]

Great question, Julia99!

Trace

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2002, 10:42:53 PM »
Posted by ProfStokes on February 07, 2002 at 16:42:53:

[spoiler]1) During the Leviathan sequence when Josette's ghost bids good-bye to Barnabas and he calls desperately to her as she fades away. At that point, it's finally over between them

2) Also during the time of the Leviathans, when Angelique sends Sky away, watching him go from the window of the Old House, and then runs to Barnabas for comfort. For the first time, the gesture didn't seem possessive or twisted; she was just relying on a friend for help.

3) In 1897, when Magda informs Quentin that he was the father of twins but that one is now dead. Everybody was amazing in that scene, but the expression on David Selby's face and his tone of voice were wrenching.
A subsequent scene between Quentin and Edward, when Quentin lambastes him for his Collins pride, dragging his dead son and Jamison into the mess, was also very powerful.

4) Another 1897 scene that always gets me: Crazy Jenny is in her basement cell tending to her 'babies' when she hears Quentin's music playing. Realizing that he's returned, she panics, snatches up the dolls and covers their ears as if by protecting them from the sound of the music, she can protect them from Quentin's menace too. There's something so pathetic and desperate about that scene, but in a weird way, it's also touching to see her maternal instincts kicking in. Jenny was my favorite Marie Wallace character.

5) From 1795, Barnabas learns that Josette has run off with Jeremiah, but declares that he still loves her anyway--much to Angelique's dismay.[/spoiler]

ProfStokes

Offline waylonsmithers

• How narcissistic of me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2002, 10:53:14 PM »
Posted by Waylon Smithers on February 07, 2002 at 16:53:14:

:[spoiler]1. The scene during Maggie's imprisonment in the Old House in which she is telling Barnabas about the little girl who comes to play with her. Barnabas looks at Maggie with great sadness, says, "Goodbye, Maggie..." and leaves her alone.

2. Barnabas stating that he "loathes" the person responsible for Maggie's death.

3. Angelique's death in 1840. For all of us who feel that Angelique is the ideal woman for Barnabas, this is a real heartbreaker.

4. The final scene in present-day Collinwood--the last time we ever see Barnabas, Julia, Liz, and the rest of the characters we've grown so fond of.[/spoiler]

Regards,

John

Offline MrsJ

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2002, 11:26:58 PM »
Posted by MrsJ on February 07, 2002 at 17:26:58:

[spoiler]I'm trying to remember the exact time, I believe it was during the dream curse sequence or thereafter. Julia and Willie are in the Old House, and Willie is fretting over Maggie's safety (I think this may have been when they were going to use Maggie's life force for Adam's mate). Willie says something to the effect that it's hard watching someone you really care about endanger their lives, and made a comment that Julia couldn't really know what that felt like. She replied in a very low voice that she indeed did know what it felt like...

"You forget, Willie, I watched Barnabas..."

referring to the life force experiment that brought Adam to life.[/spoiler]

One of Grayson Hall's best DS moments, IMO. I loved the dynamics between her and Karlen.

MrsJ.

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2002, 11:36:47 PM »
Posted by Linda on February 07, 2002 at 17:36:47:

[spoiler]I think the 1795 scene in which Sarah dies is the most heart-wrenching in the entire series, and the one in which Joshua realizes that he has to lock up his son forever is right behind it.[/spoiler]

Cheers,

Linda

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2002, 12:04:50 AM »
Posted by Vlad on February 07, 2002 at 18:04:50:
In Reply to: Re: Nominees-Most Poignant Moments on DS posted by Luciaphil on February 07, 2002 at 13:53:24:

I'm amazed at people's memories here. They helped remind me of some other moments. (I'm surprised how 1995 came up in a couple of responses, considering that that entire sequence consists of only 10 episodes or so. I also found 1995 to be especially heart-wrenching and haunting; I replayed the sequence only a few days ago!)

[spoiler]Mrs. Johnson's concern for David in the dream curse events, when she does everything in her power to protect him but finally cannot help herself and tells him the dream.

Mrs. Johnson's bravery in helping Barnabas and Julia in 1995 by telling them what she knows -- and paying with her life.

Randall Drew's destruction of his sister, the vampire Roxanne. (Summer of 1970?)

Someone mentioned this already, but Joshua's decision to chain Barnabas in his coffin forever (1795); also, Barnabas' plea that his father kill him, if I remember correctly (1795).

Rachel Drummond's death in 1897; I think she reminisces about her childhood but I'm not certain, at any rate her dying thoughts were very moving.

Very hazy here, but there were some touching events relating to Quentin and Jamison in 1897.[/spoiler]

Thanks for reminding me how much we have to look forward to!

How people remembered specifics of these events is beyond me!

-Vlad
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Dale_and_Kathy

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2002, 01:42:23 AM »
Posted by Dale Kathy on February 07, 2002 at 19:42:23:
In Reply to: Re: Nominees-Most Poignant Moments on DS posted by Linda on February 07, 2002 at 17:36:47:

[spoiler]I think the 1795 scene in which Sarah dies is the most heart-wrenching in the entire series, and the one in which Joshua realizes that he has to lock up his son forever is right behind it.[/spoiler]

Agreement here that [spoiler]Sarah's goodbye is the saddest moment of the series. Joshua's discussion of events with Barnabas on the last night of 1795 together is also very touching touching.[/spoiler]

Dale & Kathy

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2002, 12:03:58 PM »
Posted by Ben on February 08, 2002 at 06:03:58:
In Reply to: Re: Nominees-Most Poignant Moments on DS posted by Julian on February 07, 2002 at 13:59:05:

[spoiler]I thought some of the scenes between Julia and Barnabas during that story were the most poignant and best acted of the series.[/spoiler]

I agree, Julian. I think those scenes worked so well because of the incredible amount of restraint and subtlety exercised by Frid and Hall.

[spoiler]Some other scenes I thought very poignant were when Quentin's ghost drives everyone out of the house. Louis Edmonds and Joan Bennett have a wonderful scene as they leave the house together and then the episode ends with the camera panning around the empty house.[/spoiler]

That was chilling.

It's been nice recounting so many poignant moments in this thread. One moment that especially touched me is [spoiler]the final scene in 1840 where Desmond bids farewell to time travelers Barnabas, Julia, and Prof. Stokes. That, to me, marked the closest thing to a farewell to the entire series. I'd almost rank it up there with Dorothy bidding goodbye to friends in Oz.[/spoiler]

Reaching for some kleenex,
Ben

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2002, 01:59:22 PM »
Posted by Gerard on February 08, 2002 at 07:59:22:
In Reply to: Re: Nominees-Most Poignant Moments on DS posted by Linda on February 07, 2002 at 17:36:47:

I second that nomination.

Gerard

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2002, 04:14:40 PM »
Posted by RingoCollins on February 08, 2002 at 10:14:40:

[spoiler]where Desmond bids farewell to time travelers Barnabas, Julia, and Prof. Stokes. That, to me, marked the closest thing to a farewell to the entire series. I'd almost rank it up there with Dorothy bidding goodbye to friends in Oz.[/spoiler]

oh that was a good one! It is strange how such a 'silly' show causes us to suspend reality, yet reflect so well into the inner person. As a raving maniac hippietype at the time, I thought the whole deal about 'outcasts' and the underbelly of the show was about us [the freaks], and missed so much of the love story and personal stuff.

I would like to add one that sticks with me

[spoiler]where at the witchcraft trial, Big Ben is there to see Angie get hers. A poetic justice after all he went thru. He is one of the most sad, sypathetic and pathetic characters in the whole series to me, a real giver, a true friend. [wow, I'm choking up right now!] TD played that so well, as all his later folk, too.[/spoiler]
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2002, 07:20:43 PM »
Posted by jennifer on February 08, 2002 at 13:20:43:

THERE WERE SO MANY

[spoiler]1.Chris thinking he hurt Carolyn as the werewolf.

2.The Desmond scene where he is bidding bye to his friends was sad because when they return to the present and then must realize their friends are long dead!

3.When Beth tries to help Quentin!

4.When Magda finds Jenny and Quentin had children and she has cursed them!

5.When Barnabas is trying to find Julia in the locked room and finds her. also the "never without you" scene or any scene when they save each other

6.The scenes when Chris J or Quentin feel they are doomed.

7.The scene in which Quentin wonders how his great grandson Chris and Sabrina and Amy are doing while looking at a full moon

8.When Rachel Drummond dies with Tim Shaw[/spoiler]

there are so many more!!

great question once again Julia99

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2002, 09:03:16 PM »
Posted by Bob the Bartender on February 08, 2002 at 15:03:16:
In Reply to: Re: Nominees-Most Poignant Moments on DS posted by Gerard on February 08, 2002 at 07:59:22:

Gerard,

I agree completely with your selection of [spoiler]little Sarah's untimely death.[/spoiler]
It was as sad as seeing that young boy shoot his beloved dog, Ol' Yeller, in the movie with the same title.

Or how about that ending scene in the film "The Deer Hunter," when Robert De Niro, Merryl Streep and John Cazale start singing "God Bless America" to mourn the loss of their friend, portrayed by Christopher Walken. I remember there wasn't a dry eye in the movie theater as the Vietnam-era audience viewed the flick's conclusion.

Bob the Bartender, who lucked out with a high draft #.