Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1194  (Read 981 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1194
« on: April 14, 2011, 08:38:34 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1194
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 09:47:12 PM »
Flora to Leticia: "If he (Desmond) takes anyone from the village, it ought to be you!"   What a strange thing to say!   Well not really, coming from one of the rich folk...  talk about backhanded!   PT Flora might have said the same thing, but with a different inflection.

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 10:37:09 PM »
Leticia isn't even from the village, LOL! But that's our ditzy Flora all over!

The single word that all PT Collinses dread the most is spoken for the first time.

Unfortunately for Daphne, now that Gerard has lost his harem (a loss he doesn't mourn at all either), he can devote all of his evil attentions to her. Well, at least it's her last dream--I found them incredibly tiresome. And her sudden bewitchment has left her no time to find a proper wedding gown, so she is wearing her plain dark red gown--the one she wore as a ghost when our Quentin met and fell in love with her.

Poor Leticia! It's no good having second sight when you know that all your plans are going horribly, horribly wrong.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 09:24:46 AM »
The opening voiceover said that Samantha's death had been judged to be a suicide, which I find so strange as to be incredible.  I can only assume that witchcraft or ghostcraft was at work.

I am disappointed to learn that Charles Dawson is a coward.  He did not seem to be.  The convention is that villains must always be cowards is a pet peeve of mine, which I'm sure I've mentioned before.

The climax of the Daphne's Dreams subplot is sort of strange.  Initially the idea seemed to be that Judah/Gerard felt an attraction to Daphne, and now the object of the exercise is to crush Quentin.  And it's true that the wedding has pulled fugitive Quentin out into the open, but I still can't understand the fuss over it.  I just have the wrong attitude towards marriage, I think.  I didn't get it in 1795 when Barnabas was shocked to discover that his wife was a witch, and now I shake my head at Quentin's distress when Daphne marries Gerard.  Yeah, I know, the idea is that Daphne must love Gerard if she's marrying him - but I still shake my head.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 03:44:40 PM »
Well, I suppose we have to consider the whole Daphne-Gerard marriage thing from Q1's point of view. Gerard must have been planning some especially fiendish big reveal, maybe telling Q1 when he was on the scaffold about to be beheaded. But Gerard must have enjoyed the extra twist of the knife--now that Q1 is a relatively merry widower and is free to marry Daphne AND has successfully escaped, Gerard can demolish all of his plans in one fell swoop. Q1 took the gamble of his life to try to stop the wedding--and lost everything.

I have to say I'm amused by Dawson's cowardice. It makes him a nice foil to the thoroughly wicked Gerard and gives HHA a little more scope to have fun with.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 02:32:51 AM »
Was Dawson proven to be cowardly?  I don't remember that.   I just remember his admitting that he was afraid of Judah, which was just honest and reasonable.  He'd have been an idiot not to be afraid of him.

Marriage used to be considered sacred and absolute.   For a lot of people, God and society demanded that the marriage be honored till death.   Certainly Gerard thought he now owned Daphne for life, and expected society to back him up on that one.   So there's another knife he thought he was sticking into Quentin.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 05:11:32 PM »
Magnus, when Quentin had escaped, Dawson was nervous because Quentin had threatened him at the trial.

As for marriage - yes, I know.  I've said that I must be the one who's wrong.  But Quentin had previously wanted a divorce from Samantha, and even though he knew he couldn't get one, he was still planning to take Daphne along when he fled from Collinsport.  I guess the shoe's on the other foot when it's a girl who's getting married.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 05:36:44 AM »
Magnus, when Quentin had escaped, Dawson was nervous because Quentin had threatened him at the trial.

I don't think being afraid makes you cowardly.   We just don't usually see people admitting it verbally and publicly, and this was a private conversation.  I also don't think that looking to your big, bad evil boss with all the powers to step in and protect you from retribution, after you've done most of his dirty work for him, gratis I suppose, is unreasonable.

I think he was over-reacting though, showing hints of cowardice possibly.   He should know Q1 should have his hands full trying to escape, and Dawson must have a gun.  Okay, you're talking me into it, Lydia.   I also have been bothered by TV's conviction that evil people and bullies are cowards, which is as silly as assuming that non-violent people must be cowards.