Author Topic: unfavorable D.S. review  (Read 5195 times)

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
unfavorable D.S. review
« on: October 17, 2002, 09:15:26 PM »
in a review on www.barnesandnoble.com
for the mpi video for the 30th anniversary tribute, david nahmod has posted a negative review of the video but its more about fandom.
calling ds fans lap dogs that drool over the stars. such other claims r made about the fans having no lives and the stars r all has-beens etc.

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
Re: unfavorable D.S. review
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2002, 09:30:01 PM »
I looked but I didn't see it. Do you have the direct link to that page?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2002, 09:52:44 PM »
That name, David Nahmod, is familiar for some reason or other.  Have you run across him in the past, Joe?

It's too bad the 30th anniversary video was singled out by this character.  It's probably the best produced of all the MPI specialty videos--certainly the best of the ones I have seen.

Best wishes,  Steve

Offline LoveAtFirstBITE

• Full Poster
  • A repressed hysteric
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2002, 10:18:43 PM »
You have to wonder why someone who posts something like that would even care in the first place.  

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2002, 11:14:53 PM »
That name, David Nahmod, is familiar for some reason or other

Steve, his name might be familiar to you because he directed Louis Edmonds in "Next Year in Jerusalem" and I think he has written about DS in publications.  His feelings and reactions regarding some of the more negative incidents involving fans were also posted on the forum when it was on VNet.  He's also a registered cousin, or at least he registered but hasn't yet officially joined us.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2002, 11:17:49 PM »
Thanks for that reminder, Fran.  These sentiments seem kind of odd from Mr. Nahmod, if he's a fan himself.

You just have to wonder.  

Steve

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2002, 12:13:40 AM »
the direct link is too long and too many characters/numbers in the address for me to do it correctly and i cant or dont kow how to do cut and paste on webtv. maybe someone else here can do it. otherwise u have to select video and then enter dark shadows into their search engine. yes david nahmod is a friend of mine and has posted here before and hes directed the video mentioned and wrote for various magazines. he needs to vent his frustrations with fandom. 1 of his posts to a fan webpage has caused her to close her guestbook. what power!

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2002, 12:58:43 AM »
the direct link is too long and too many characters/numbers in the address for me to do it correctly and i cant or dont kow how to do cut and paste on webtv. maybe someone else here can do it. otherwise u have to select video and then enter dark shadows into their search engine. yes david nahmod is a friend of mine and has posted here before and hes directed the video mentioned and wrote for various magazines. he needs to vent his frustrations with fandom. 1 of his posts to a fan webpage has caused her to close her guestbook. what power!

What does he have against fandom?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2002, 01:11:05 AM »
he needs to vent his frustrations with fandom.

I've never argued with David on his point that there are problems in fandom, and while meeting him I found his frustration to be palpable.  The theme of one of his previous posts, as I recall, was that there's room for some fans to treat each other better.  But I question his tack of attacking all DS fans and actors in order to draw attention to the issues that plague him personally.

1 of his posts to a fan webpage has caused her to close her guestbook. what power!

Personally, I don't think that's anything to brag about, but speaking as a moderator, the problems that have occurred on other DS sites aren't allowed as a topic for conversation here:

6. The negative discussion of other DS forums is to be avoided. In other words, no finger pointing.

And as I've explained to David in the past, no names of actors or fans may be given here if he should decide to again take up airing any of his personal grievances about fandom.

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2002, 01:39:38 AM »
Here's the direct link:

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?WRK=5540441&userid=32LENJF1H5

This guy has some serious issues.

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2002, 02:19:46 AM »
Sweeping generalizations are usually very inaccurate or patently untrue. And vitriolic outbursts like this one, which offers nothing but subjective views tainted by an obviously negative experience, belong on Live Journal or--dare I say it--some unmoderated newsgroup, assuming it's necessary to devote the time to articulating it in the first place. Being anything but an objective commentary, it says an awful lot more about the writer than the video or the individuals on the video.

[shadow=black,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]
--A professional writer with an obviously failed life who lives in a fog-bound dream world.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2002, 02:23:32 AM »
I am a friend of David's and he is right in reference to the fans.

I find it impossible to talk to anyone at the fests as they want to be alone or with their clique of friends.  It's like "Who are you to come to talk to me?"  I have been to the NY fests since 1995 and have not been able to talk to anyone in regards to DS, there is a lot of cold shoulder going on.

Some fans use the fests as a cruising area too.

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2002, 02:44:27 AM »
I have read this person's grievances concerning Dark Shadows Fandom and believe this person had been injured from his personal experience... of which everyone would agree is unfortunate... although I also believe the only avenue for him, in my opinion is for him to face those who caused him his pain to begin with and not air anyone's soiled linen so to speak in a public or private forum.  

I, as a enthusiast of Dark Shadows have limited experience with said fandom,  I am, I suppose very fortunate in that everyone I have met during a Dark Shadows festival have been kind, caring, intelligent individuals with a normal liking for DS, they have real lives, they are real people, I respect every one of them.

I do not know how others may perceive this person, I do however believe I shall treat him with great caution.

The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2002, 03:02:58 AM »
I am a friend of David's and he is right in reference to the fans.

I find it impossible to talk to anyone at the fests as they want to be alone or with their clique of friends.  It's like "Who are you to come to talk to me?"  I have been to the NY fests since 1995 and have not been able to talk to anyone in regards to DS, there is a lot of cold shoulder going on.

I do hope  you will attend the 2004 Dark Shadows fest held in California, I shall be in attendance and would love to discuss your views regarding any aspect of the shows performers, favorite story lines, scenes or just enjoy the fest! I enjoy volunteering so some time is devoted to that although while off duty I simply like watching everyone enjoy themselves with the occasional hello here and there from friends rushing by to the dealers room or another activities.  

Should you attend the 2004 fest I will most likely be the volunteer Sarah.

I hope to see you there!

Ps... I do not believe in cruising area's  
Dark Shadows is a festival not the dating game! <G>
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2002, 03:12:52 AM »

I think the locals are worse than the fans, people who live or work in the area, who are not attending the Fest, but go there looking for someone to get together with.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan