Author Topic: FAVORITE SCENE FEATURING DENNIS PATRICK  (Read 2509 times)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: FAVORITE SCENE FEATURING DENNIS PATRICK
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2002, 04:10:33 AM »
Without reviewing my tapes, two scenes stand out in my memory.  

When Jason first arrives at Collinwood, there's no sign yet of his intentions.  Introducing himself as an old family friend, he and Carolyn go to the drawing room where he cheerfully regales her with tales of his travels and his memories of a Collinsport from 18 years before.  Throughout the scene, Dennis Patrick plays Maguire as a charming, witty, entirely pleasant and likeable soul.  However, later in the storyline after he has begun to blackmail Liz and reveal his darker nature, Jason catches Carolyn rifling through his possessions.  No longer concerned with impressing her, he grabs her roughly and threatens her (I think it's at this point when he tells her she'll need a new place to live after the wedding.)  In this performance, Patrick plays Jason with barely contained violence and ruthlessness, and it's quite a reversal form the Jason we first met.  

The first scene demonstrated Jason's affability while the second showed his cruelty.  That Patrick exhibited each opposing trait so convincingly testifies to his skill with the role.

ProfStokes

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2002, 06:11:59 AM »
It's hard to pick just one scene because truly he was so good in every scene he was in.  I like the scenes he was in with Willie ( the one where Willie--after being bitten by Barnabas--is so weak that he falls and Jason tries to get him upstairs is one of my favorites).  He and John Karlen played well together and from Connie's photo's on another thread they obviously had great fun teasing one another at the fests.
MM

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2002, 05:14:45 PM »
Of all at Collinwood, Vicki has been the most fair to him. Although his pride does not allow him a direct apology (to Vicki) for all the hurt he has caused, I felt that beneath Jason's cocky projections Dennis was allowing the villain one last attempt to offer an olive branch with at least one of the people he has wronged.

What a marvelous description.  I hadn't thought about it before but he did offer up an olive branch but then snatched it away as if having second thoughts about doing something out of character.  He departed as he had arrived, ever rude and insulting and unmovable.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2002, 12:59:50 AM »
I loved reading through these.  I think for myself, the scenes that most impressed me were the early ones between himself and Joan Bennett.  He really brought out the best in her, and I think she also stimulated him to go for the gold.  They were marvelous on screen together, and I'm glad we did get a second chance to watch them go at it again during the Paul Stoddard storyline.

Seeing how wonderful he was opposite Bennett makes me want to see the film he did with Agnes Moorehead in the early 70s--her final project, which I believe was released after her death (ironically it was the only movie in which she received star billing).

Gothick

Offline MikeS

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2002, 10:24:00 PM »
Dennis was so great as Jason, it's realy hard to pick my favorite scenes.  Just a few include:

His first meeting with Barnabas.

His farewell scene with Vicki.

His attemp to bribe Buzz.

All his scenes with Willie and Liz were great.

Dennis seemed to bring out the best in his costars,   making the scenes he was in even more enjoyable.  I always felt they made a mistake in killing off Jason.  They could have had him reappear every so often, cause some trouble and then take off again.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2002, 10:30:31 PM »
S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

Dennis seemed to bring out the best in his costars,   making the scenes he was in even more enjoyable.  I always felt they made a mistake in killing off Jason.  They could have had him reappear every so often, cause some trouble and then take off again.

Word on that one.  And they killed him off with such finality, which is a huge soap no-no.   (Anyone ever see Soapdish?  Writer: "He doesn't have a head!  How am I supposed to write for somebody who doesn't have a head?" Producer: "So, they surgically reattached it. Big deal.")

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2002, 11:09:47 PM »
Speaking of surgically re-attached heads......can't you just see Jason in the "Re-Animator" storyline?  He'd have taken no crap from Adam,  treated Angelique like a dock-side doxey and slapped Eric the Demented around just on general principles.

It would have been a joy to watch!

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2006, 03:09:28 PM »
I loved all of Jason's scenes with Willie as the concerned friend (I do believe Willie may have been the only one Jason really cared for) but also frusterated with him and even suspicious. (He was frusterated that Willie wouldn't tell him where he disappeared to and Jason was also suspicious that Willie may be up to something that would spoil his own plans).

Loved all of Jason's scenes with Liz too, he could be trying to sweet talk her one minute, then threatening her the next.

And of course I love the battle of wills between him and Barnabas. I agree they were evenly matched and I think Barnabas could see what Jason was all about even without Willie saying anything to him.

I am so happy though that [spoiler]Jason got his comeuppance at the hands of Barnabas....[/spoiler]in that instance you could definitely say Barnabas definitely got the upper hand on that one! ;D

edited by mod