Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1183  (Read 1212 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1183
« on: March 30, 2011, 08:40:08 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1183
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
I like the profiles of Joanna and Daphne in the opening.   Gerard goes on about "wondrous new lands" to Daphne, which he'll show her once they're married.   Does he carry these new lands around in his pocket?   Okay, he can show her Hell... what else has he got?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 11:05:04 PM »
Since their ghosts in the present time, perhaps he means the afterlife.  After the hanging he intends to kill Daphne, Tad, Carrie, and then himself.

I like the profiles of Joanna and Daphne in the opening.   Gerard goes on about "wondrous new lands" to Daphne, which he'll show her once they're married.   Does he carry these new lands around in his pocket?   Okay, he can show her Hell... what else has he got?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 11:17:44 PM »
Since their ghosts in the present time, perhaps he means the afterlife.  After the hanging he intends to kill Daphne, Tad, Carrie, and then himself.

Why?  I thought Juadh wanted to take everything of Quentin's, and then live high on the hog in Collinwood for the rest of Gerard's life.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 11:37:56 PM »
Or the rest of Judah's life, whichever happens second. If he could take over one person's body, he almost certainly can do it again. Do we know for sure that he planned to kill everyone at Collinwood? Or did his plans to be the perpetual Master of Collinwood become derailed somehow?

By "wondrous new lands" I suppose Gerard meant the realm of sorcery, and that he would induct Daphne into his harem/coven.

Oh, dear, another famous Collinwood slap upside the head for a hysterical woman. It was a common script-writing device of those times, not just on DS. But I can't understand why Samantha should prefer a skinny guy (who is actually a 200-year-old warlock) to the epitome of manly beauty.

More 1970s-style steam, this time with Quentin and Joanna (*sigh*) But a nice cliff-hanger ending--this must have been a Friday episode!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 10:31:35 AM »
No, DarkLady, this was not a Friday cliffhanger.  The Watching Project schedules episodes to be watched on the days of the week on which they were originally watched, except during Fest season.

Way back before Judah took the helm in Gerard's body, Gerard tempted Daphne to go on a date with him (a date in 1840, but let it pass) by saying he would tell her all about the exotic places he had visited.  I'm figuring today's "wondrous new lands" were intended to be more of same.  And I don't recall ever hearing that Judah/Gerard ever intended to kill Daphne.  The only people he wanted dead, I thought, were Collinses.  Plus the families of the other two judges at his 1692 witchcraft trial, except they were already extinct in 1840.  Most disobliging of them.

Oh, dear, another famous Collinwood slap upside the head for a hysterical woman.
I think Gerard's striking of Samantha wasn't intended to be just another slap.  I think the violence was intended to shock the viewers, as it did me.  My immediate thought was: "That's done it.  Samantha won't want Gerard anymore."  But instead, Gerard talks her around, and she invites him, apparently not for the first time, to her bed that night (which is sort of surprising on Dark Shadows but, judging from a later event, would probably have become less so if the series had not been canceled so soon after this) and wonders why it was Gerard with whom she had to fall in love.  I don't think Virginia Vestoff quite carried it off (which may be attributable to lack of rehearsal time) but I like the attempt on the part of the writers.  So much of 1840 is retreads.  This was not.

Meanwhile, we learn that it was not all beer and skittles, or wine and roses, back in the days when Quentin and Joanna were together.  They fought!  Fancy that!  And a good thing too, otherwise Quentin would have found it harder to make the choice between the two sisters.  But what does his choice matter?  Samantha wouldn't give him a divorce before, and I'm assuming she won't give him a divorce now.  Of course, if it were Gerard who wanted a divorce from Samantha, he'd just slap her until she gave him one (and reminded him to come to her bed that night) but Quentin's too nice a guy (we wouldn't want to call Quentin a sissy, would we?) to do something like that.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 02:57:02 PM »
For those younger than me:  It wasn't always women who got hysterical and were slapped on TV.   Usually I suppose.   The cliche was that the recipient would say "Thanks, I needed that!"   There were joke versions, such as someone slapping Hawkeye on MASH, where he said "I didn't need that."

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 03:53:19 PM »
I thought as the four ghosts in the present look just like they do in 1840, that Gerard must have died soon after the beheading along with the other three.

They were the last three people Quentin cared about, so Gerard probably killed them and then himself leaving no legacy for Quentin.

I thought Juadh wanted to take everything of Quentin's, and then live high on the hog in Collinwood for the rest of Gerard's life.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 04:50:12 PM »
If he didn't mind dying, I doubt he'd have gotten all upset over having been beheaded.