Author Topic: Dark Shadows -TV Milestones by Harry M. Benshoff  (Read 4734 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows -TV Milestones by Harry M. Benshoff
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 02:19:40 AM »
the vast majority of the pictures look to me to be screen grabs from the DVDs, and that could prove problematic for him.

Ah - that could explain it then.

My copy is still in transit but should be arriving soon...

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 02:42:59 AM »
While they may have the right to pull the book, I think they are foolish to do so. This is not some fly by night pseudo vanity press publication; it's a publication by a university. It gives DS a great deal of credibility.  Is this the first time a single "soap opera" has had this sort of treatment? I wouldn't know off hand, but if I had to guess, I'd say no.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 03:20:11 AM »
The thing that's probably different about DS, though, is the use of screen captures taken from the MPI DVDs. MPI seems to go after anyone and everyone who uses extensive screen captures and/or video footage taken from its DVDs without permission. (The main reason why we don't use screen captures from the DVDs here on the forum is because we don't wish to infringe on MPI's copyright.) And if Pierson is going after the book, it would seem likely that the publisher didn't secure permission from MPI for the screen captures because, as someone who has worked for MPI, it should have been easy for Pierson to discover if they had gained permission or not.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 04:07:47 AM »
Not that this really means anything in this particular case, but Henry Jenkins' Textual Poachers, which is the seminal text in fan studies, makes use of several screen captures from Star Trek (original series) episodes that are part of a fanvid. The book is/was published by Routledge, a major British academic publishing house with offices in London and New York, and there is no acknowledgment accompanying the book's copyright and cataloging information to indicate use of material belonging to Rodenberry, Paramount, etc. The book has been in print for almost 20 years now. On the other hand, as has been noted multiple times here and elsewhere, those in charge of the ST franchise have been much more tolerant in matters such as this.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 06:50:02 PM »
There are only about 21 pictures. It does look like they got taken off the DVDs. One of Julia, toward the back. Most of the pictures, showed Barnabas with his fangs. The ones, that are so exaggerated.

The is a Nice one of Quentin, I think better than the ones of Barnabas. There is one of Willie, quivering. But if you are counting pictures, Barnabas sure does win.

I do believe that MPI, would want to get the people reading about the first show. The numbers of pictures isn't worth the fuss, IMO.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 11:02:23 PM »
I just got the book today, will read it soon.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2011, 12:29:15 AM »
I'm always surprised at how anal retentive DCP or MCI or Mr. Pierson are at anyone using DS material when it comes to money, money, money.  Again, one would think they would be more receptive to anything (within limits, I do realize, but give us a break) that garners more publicity for DS and thus will bring in more money for the franchise at no expense to the franchise.  This is a scholarly book designed for a limited public usage (including in universities and colleges with a dramatics department).  Neither the author nor the university publishing it will make much in the way of a profit.  I have friends who are university professors and who have written text books that are used across the nation in universities in their field.  How much, on an average, are they paid for often years of hard work?  Around $500.  They spend more doing research and in the end it comes out as a loss.  University publishing arms generally make little in profit (which is used to fund education) and some just make a wash.  Sorry for my French here, but it's about time that DCP/MCI/Pierson gets the stick out of their butt and  realizes that they can only make money off the DS franchise if more exposure is given to it, at the expense of others, including fans.  It costs DCP/MCI nothing for this publicity and it can only garner profit for future fans.  If it wasn't for the fans who dished out of their own pockets, would DCP/MCI now be seeing a possible major motion picture, that can bring in hundreds-of-millions in profit to them?  If I could afford it, I'd buy the book and if it doesn't make a dollar for DCP/MCI/Pierson, that would make it all worth it.  People need to take that stick our of their butts (sorry for my French again) and whack them up the side of their heads with it.  I know that there are people (including here), who will defend the "rights" of DCP/MCI/Pierson and say "the law is on their side," but I have no sympathy for any corporation that has garnished millions of dollars because of fans, and then cries when it can't get a paltry couple thousand from them.

Gerard

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 01:04:26 AM »
It is a nice little review for people that doesn't know the show.

I have one question, why do people have to keep pigeonholing people into different groups.
For instance if you belong to a specific group you might feel this way.  Can't a person just
enjoy the show. Maybe he is trying to get people to read the book.

I can understand the different generations of the show.

Has anyone else read it yet?

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 01:14:43 AM »
My copy of the book finally arrived today and I've basically just glanced through it. The only section I have read completely is the one about NoDS. And I do have to say that I'll never look at the poster for NoDS in quite the same way after reading his dissection of it.  [snow_shocked]  [snow_wink]  [snow_cheesy]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 02:04:55 AM »
Didn't Benshoff write the Monsters in the Closet book some years ago about fandoms and subcultures?  He also wrote an article that was in a volume on the gay element within DS fandom.  This was the piece that included a few infamous paragraphs about Dr. Julia Hoffman "as a drag queen."

I have always found it fascinating that so many gay people like Dark Shadows.   I guess it could be the camp element but it's fascinating to think about.  Grayson was definately what I would call a female DRAG QUEEN.  I guess because so many queens are larger than life and she that title certainly applies to her! :)

I look forward to getting the book! :)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 05:03:36 PM »
I do have to say that I'll never look at the poster for NoDS in quite the same way after reading his dissection of it.  [snow_shocked]  [snow_wink]  [snow_cheesy]

[snow_laugh]  Speaking of dissection, lol.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 05:16:22 PM »
It's is fascinating though not surprising to me there is a large gay contingent.  DS was all about secrets and, unfortunately, many gays grow up and well into adulthood have had to or had that secret only he/she knew about.  I know from reading posts and letters from gay DS fans many claimed to identifying with Barnabas because of his secret and for them, a special need others around them did not share.

Nancy

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 12:20:35 AM »
MB and Midnite, you're both teasing us dreadfully.  Please provide a summary of Benshoff's argument about NoDS, or at least, about the poster.

Gratefully,

G.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2011, 10:43:07 PM »

Nancy, I have mentioned several times that I could identify with Barnabas and his secret life. I think DS actually saved my life in High School. I was raised very religiously and I was suicidal a lot.  However, Dark Shadows was source of escapism for me. I guess that is why it hits me so hard to hear about the kids taking their lives because they are gay or have been bullied because I can totally identify. 

Back on point....I am dying to know about NODS as well! :)

If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2011, 04:59:47 AM »
MB and Midnite, you're both teasing us dreadfully.  Please provide a summary of Benshoff's argument about NoDS, or at least, about the poster.

Okay, G... This link takes you to a lovely color version of the NoDS poster that's in the book:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28285678@N00/2761108472/in/photostream/
Underneath it, Benshoff's caption (typo included) reads:  The Night of Dark Shadows one-sheet poster from 1971 suggests that Angelique possess a monstrous and devouring vagina dentata.

Ha ha!